• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Need help to id birds - Pune, Maharashtra, India (1 Viewer)

rmanoj

I would like some help in identifying these birds. Pictures were taken in Pune, Maharashtra, India on 17th December 2017. Thanks in advance!

Kind Regards,
Manoj R.

Attachments

• IMG_3771 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_3771 - Copy.JPG
    411.1 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_3775 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_3775 - Copy.JPG
    639.6 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_3783 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_3783 - Copy.JPG
    856.1 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_3788 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_3788 - Copy.JPG
    963.6 KB · Views: 63
Hi Manoj and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I've moved your post to the ID forum, as I think you're more likely to get the response you need in there.

I see you've subscribed to this thread, so you should be able to find it easily.

1. Plain Prinia
2. Pied Wheatear, I think - ear coverts are warm brown
3. Ashy Prinia
4. a juvenile Munia - maybe Black-throated?

Isn't no.2 a female Indian robin? Angle is a bit funny so it looks long billed, but it shows the rufous utc's and the darker ear coverts. Cheers

Isn't no.2 a female Indian robin? Angle is a bit funny so it looks long billed, but it shows the rufous utc's and the darker ear coverts. Cheers

That would explain the bill shape, which puzzled me yesterday, and the long, ragged-looking tail, but it's not just the undertail coverts that look rufous, it's the belly as well, which made me wonder if it's not just a light effect. The dark-centered median coverts and frosted-looking greater coverts and tertials are odd for this species, which normally has a plain wing.

EDIT: Just had a close look. Can't be anything other than a strange-looking Indian Robin. Here's a female with rufous belly:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Hxr1MgMhU...Atw/AN3tY4qUOVg/s1600/Indian+robin+female.JPG

This seems to be unusual though.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back