• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Chanonry point and area (1 Viewer)

Duke Leto

Without habitat, there is no wildlife. It's that s
Hi all I may have to visit Scotland at the beginning of September. Will probably be staying at Inverness, apart from dolphins are there any other photographic possibilities I may be able to try for if I get time in the area? Never photographed the area so a complete novice.
Any guidance appreciated. I guess that I would like grebes, crested tits but anything would be nice.
Thanks

Loch Ruthven is a quick drive just south of Inverness and the Slavonian Grebes are doing real well, so worth a drive down. Come real close to the hide and easy to photograph.

Loch Garten (Just north of Aviemore) feeders will give you Crested Tits and other species and red squirrels. Its a wee drive into Aviemore but again, worth it.

In short, you really are spoilt for choice birding wise. My goodness, a drive down the south side road of Loch Ness to Fort Augustas will produce some amazing photography chances....

Oh and Hen Harriers keep your eyes peeled.

Last edited:
Its a great area I've not long been back but I'm not so sure you'll find it as easy as Ratal might make it sound. On the 2 occasions i've been to Loch Ruthven I'd have been lucky to even see a Slavonian Grebe If I hadnt have had my scope with me. I'm sure they do come close at times but its by no means a certainty. I also didnt see a single Hen Harrier in two weeks,again I'm sure there are there some where but i wouldnt expect them to be easy.
I did have good look with the Crested Tits and Red Squirrels though.

Its a great area I've not long been back but I'm not so sure you'll find it as easy as Ratal might make it sound. On the 2 occasions i've been to Loch Ruthven I'd have been lucky to even see a Slavonian Grebe If I hadnt have had my scope with me. I'm sure they do come close at times but its by no means a certainty. I also didnt see a single Hen Harrier in two weeks,again I'm sure there are there some where but i wouldnt expect them to be easy.
I did have good look with the Crested Tits and Red Squirrels though.

Out of Loch Ruthven,

turn right, follow it till you turn right onto the B862. This will take you past Loch Mhor, stop have a scan for divers, then carry on down General Wades Military Road Then off out to Loch Tarff. Black Throated Diver seen on my last visit, as well as Golden Eagle.

So there is a half days birding on a beautiful drive, some cracking scenery and a good chance of a good connect along the way.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back