• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Corncrakes in Harris and North Uist (1 Viewer)

I found that the corncrake to be frustrating to find, their call gives the impression they are close. If that's the where you are looking it`s the wrong place, Corncrakes are ventriloquists, look further back like the edge of the field or on a path. They hide in plain sight, also easier to see them when the machair is low.

Attachments

• Nikon-OuterHebridesMay17-296-Corncrake.JPG
    Nikon-OuterHebridesMay17-296-Corncrake.JPG
    10.1 MB · Views: 19
Well, we will be off for another crack at this one in a few weeks. A little bit later than last year, 5 days each in Harris and North Uist.

To add insult to injury, in the autumn, while were were in another bit of Scotland, a couple cropped up near here on passage.

Well, we will be off for another crack at this one in a few weeks. A little bit later than last year, 5 days each in Harris and North Uist.

To add insult to injury, in the autumn, while were were in another bit of Scotland, a couple cropped up near here on passage.
Any luck on that trip? We are looking at a trip out there in mid-late May to first week of June.

Ha, I had a good laugh when reading this thread. Seriously I thought they had dug their own tunnel when one was calling on both sides of the road and crossed it behind my back every time. Great bird! Watching them is an exercise in mere frustration, but I'm always glad when I hear one, they are rare over here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back