• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Finally, my EL 8x32 SV is as good as my Genesis 8x33 (1 Viewer)

oetzi

The whole package, that is. Optically, these two were so close, each with a distinct profile, that it came down to ergonomics in deciding which one to use. With customized ergonomics, the Swaro now can compete with the Kowa.

For a bin to be perfect, it needs HUGE eyepieces, otherwise it wont be a good fit in my eye-sockets and black-outs are the result. In this aspect, the ER is less important than the outer diameter of the eyepieces. The Kowa features a whopping 42mm, whereas the Swaro show a less-than-satisfying 38mm. Quite a difference for me.

While reading, I stumbled about a comment from Stephen, who recommended beefing up eyepieces with bits of bicycle-tubing. The purpose was different, the task the same.

So I tried double layers at my EII and SR.GA, which worked wonders. A good fit in the sockets and a reduction in black-out better than expected. A single layer over the Swaro eyepieces worked as well. Increasing the diameter to 41mm, its now on the same level as the Kowa when it comes in fitting my eyes.

Maybe some will say it looks odd, or that an expensive Alpha shouldnt need to be tinkered with to provide better results. But I dont give a hoot. Now the Swaro fits ME, thats what counts.:king:

Attachments

• P3124592.jpg
    P3124592.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 205
  • P3124593.jpg
    P3124593.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back