• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Moving, will have to remove feeder (1 Viewer)

brtlmj

Hi everybody,

We have had our feeder for a couple of years now. Hummingbirds visit us a year round; there seem to be a couple of "regulars."

We are going to move in a couple of months. I am a bit afraid that "our" hummingbirds became dependent on the feeder and might get in trouble when it disappears.

Sooo... is there a good way to wean birds off a feeder? I was thinking of giving them less and less sugar until they start looking for flowers on their own. Would this work? Does anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks!
Bart

Bart, I would keep the feeders up until you move. Hummingbirds (as you probably know) feed on a variety of items to include insects, tree sap, and nectar producing flowers. You are only providing a part of their diet. They wil be fine when you move, and if you keep the feeders up you will be able to enjoy the little fellows until you leave.

They will find something else.... The world moves on and when you think about it.... We are artificially creating a habitat with feeders which we use and enjoy and help birds. Birds will adapt... Feeders or not. Mother nature has ways of balancing all...

I know this will sound bizzare ------ but......

If (say) you're moving across town - put your full feeders in the car with you just as you leave. Put them up at the new place as soon as you arrive. From a story I read once - this worked for a guy who was laid up in the hospital for a spell. Same indivual followed his transport home.

Moving

Yes, I agree. Your hummingbirds will find another feeder in the neighborhood. Meanwhile, they can feed on the nectar of the flowers. The feeders have alot to do with us really. We enjoy having them nearby and watching them. Humans have done both good and bad for hummingbirds. We have destroyed some of their natural habitats. On the other hand, we are continually expanding their territories by hanging our feeders and providing a water source with our misters, sprinklers etc. In some cases hummingbirds couldn't previously live in certain states or portions of states because of a lack of water. So relax, all is well except that you may miss your friends.
http://www.hummingbird-guide.com/hummingbird-water.html

I realize that I live in a different part of the world, but my experience may still be relevant:

Firstly, we leave our home for a couple of weeks at a time 3-4 times a year, and always take in the feeders before going. When we come home, hang out the feeders again, the birds are still there. That is very different from the very first time we put them out, then it took weeks for the first bird to even visit, so yes, it is the same birds that are still around.

Secondly, I have experienced a single somewhat severe storm that ripped off all flowers in the area. We had taken the feeders in during the storm but put them out as soon as winds were down enough. They drank 10x the normal amount during the next couple of days until new flowers opened. That demonstrated that under normal conditions, we only provide a little supplement but far from their entire food consumption.

Niels

Secondly, I have experienced a single somewhat severe storm that ripped off all flowers in the area. We had taken the feeders in during the storm but put them out as soon as winds were down enough. They drank 10x the normal amount during the next couple of days until new flowers opened. That demonstrated that under normal conditions, we only provide a little supplement but far from their entire food consumption.

Niels

That's a very interesting observation! It does show the role that feeders play under normal (and unusual) circumstances.

I'd leave the feeders - and a note for the next people - and get new ones for the new place. You never know, it might 'corrupt' another family and the Hummers will have two feeding stations.

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back