• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Attracting garden birds (1 Viewer)

BenjiS

Ginga Ninja
England
I live in a house with 6 people in, and the garden is regularly used (especially in the summer) for playing, we also have a trampoline. However I have been trying for a couple of months now to try and attract birds to the garden, it seemed to be going successfully at one point, with blue tits, great tits, long tailed tits, robins and the occasional nuthatch. However my bird feeder station fell over and all the birdfeeders mysteriously disappeared (foxes?).
Since then I have bought new feeders, 1 suet/fat ball feeder, 1 suet block feeder, 1 seed feeder, 1 niger feeder, and 1 peanut feeder, all of which are filled, the seed feeder with sunflower hearts, and the peanut feeder with suet pellets.
I haven't seen anything on it other than a single blue tit or robin since I put them out about a month ago
I have them a decent distance away from anything and a squirrel baffle as I have problems with squirrels and they would likely scoff the whole lot if I so much as moved it close enough.
I also have a very small patch, which is right next to the house, in which I am allowed to plant pretty much whatever I want, so I also wondered if there was anything that I would be able to plant now that would attract birds in the upcoming summer/winter
Any help would be appreciated, and when I get home I am going to refill the feeders as I think the suet may be going mouldy.

Good quality fresh wild bird food is key to attracting and keeping birds coming to your feeders, especially in harsh, cold weather. Throw away anything that is old, damp and mouldy, especially peanuts. A clean water supply is also a basic requirement, for drinking and bathing, preferably a quiet corner. A large shallow plastic dish or flower pot saucer is fine if you cannot run to a bird bath. Shrubs offering flowers and berries ( cotoneaster/pyracantha or viburnum ) together with a few wild plants,,,,,,thistle, burdock etc will also draw in seed eaters next winter. Keep persevering and good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back