• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ethiopia: Immature Lemon Dove? (1 Viewer)

Any thoughts? I still haven't seen any photos from searching online that look like this one. To me, the green-ish nape makes it pretty certain that it's a Lemon Dove.

No experience of the species, but on general pigeon principles, the bill looks like that of a quite recently fledged squab (I think - but treat with caution, always possible it may not apply to this species!).

To me, the green-ish nape makes it pretty certain that it's a Lemon Dove.

I think it has to be. I couldn't find any photos like this either. But the book says that immature is 'similar [to adult]...but with some rufous edging to the breast feathers' (and from this photo also to the back and wings).

If you want to be kind, you could post this photo on the Bird Forum Gallery, and then it will appear in the list of photos that comes up when people click the link at the end of the Opus article on Lemon Dove, and thus be useful to others searching for this pattern.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back