• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which Loon? Sitka Alaska (2 Viewers)

sirto

Is this a Pacific loon or a common loon? Immature or non breeding adult? What features influence your choice?

Taken June 23.

Pacific loon.jpg

Common loon, by neck pattern. (Bewick is right about the bill, but neck pattern is easier to see.) Pacific (nonbreeding or juvenile) has a white on the front of the throat, dark on the back of the neck, with a straight vertical border between the two color zones. The (usually incomplete) white collar at mid-throat, seen here, is only seen on Common.

I don't know how to reliably tell nonbreeding adult from immature, but from a small sample of labelled photos, a more-complete white collar (like the one on your photo) might indicate an immature bird?

Looks like common loon to me too. I think the extensive paleness on the bill also points toward a young bird too, but I can't definitively say that it is an immature bird.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back