• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica Televid 77 APO for Leica Televid 62 APO (1 Viewer)

norwichbirder87

Hi everyone,

Looking for a bit of advice here...

I currently own a Leica Televid 77 APO angled scope with 32xW eyepiece and whilst it is an excellent scope, I find it a little large for lugging long distances ( a lot of my birding involves 12-15km walks).

As such I have been thinking of trying to swap my scope for an angled Leica 62 APO with similar eyepiece if I can find someone who would like to do the deal.

Is this a reasonable swap for both parties concerned or am I being optimistic/naive? I have tried to compare prices of second hand versions of the models but both seem to be all over the place when it comes to price.

Your thoughts would be appreciated...

Will

Hi,
I would not recommend the swap. unless if light does not mater for you.
No problem under perfect day light condition but with a62mm, you will see the diffrence when light is reduced.
It is only my point of view!
Best regards
Yves

I appreciate and respect Yves view but I have the opposite one. I used to have a 77 and changed to a 62 some years ago and have never regretted the decision. I really like the lighter weight and can honestly say I've never noticed a problem with reduced light (no doubt there is a bit though), plus it is far more portable. Its all down to personal preference and I totally respect people having the opposing one. Best bet would be to try them out side by side if you could in bad weather, we get enough of it here in the UK. Personal eyesight may come into it as well I guess.

Phil

I appreciate and respect Yves view but I have the opposite one. I used to have a 77 and changed to a 62 some years ago and have never regretted the decision. I really like the lighter weight and can honestly say I've never noticed a problem with reduced light (no doubt there is a bit though), plus it is far more portable. Its all down to personal preference and I totally respect people having the opposing one. Best bet would be to try them out side by side if you could in bad weather, we get enough of it here in the UK. Personal eyesight may come into it as well I guess.

Phil

Agree; the APO 62 is an awesome scope with the 26xWW and is still excellent with the 16-48x zoom though, as the laws of physics dictate, resolution and brightness will diminish in low light. I haven't found this much of a problem and am quite easily able to carry out accurate wildfowl counts in poor/half light before the disturbance from dog-walkers flushes everything!

Agree; the APO 62 is an awesome scope with the 26xWW and is still excellent with the 16-48x zoom though, ............

Part of the brightness compensation comes exactly from the fact that the 62 type provides less magnification than the 77 type from the same eyepieces: 26x vs 32x, and 16-48x vs 20-60x.

I made just the switch you're thinking of, mainly because I wasn't using the 77mm as much as I used to, and the occasions I did use it were mostly daylight. There is a noticeable drop in brightness, but the drop in resolution isn't nearly so dramatic. One thing I have found is that eye placement is more critical because of the smaller exit pupil. Not too bad with the 32x ww eyepiece, but much more noticeable in the 20x ww eyepiece. I put off the switch for a long time because the wide angle eyepieces really do work much better in the 77mm, but it was just too big to use in a car and mounted on a bracket. If you use your scope in low light conditions, you might want to think about keeping it, because you will really notice the loss of performance in those situations. Even on overcast days I sometimes miss the bright images the 77mm gave. And there is something about that 32x eyepiece in the 77mm that is just magical.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back