• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How does the Leica APO 65 Televid compare? (1 Viewer)

LucaPCP

Happy User
How good is the Leica APO 65 Televid compared to the equivalent Swarowski, and to the Kowa 883 & 553?
In general I like the construction quality of the Leicas, and the placement of the focus controls (rather than the rotating collars).
I would be interested in hearing from people who could compare one with other scopes (even if of somewhat different apertures).

How good is the Leica APO 65 Televid compared to the equivalent Swarowski, and to the Kowa 883 & 553?
In general I like the construction quality of the Leicas, and the placement of the focus controls (rather than the rotating collars).
I would be interested in hearing from people who could compare one with other scopes (even if of somewhat different apertures).

Not worth the extra money (compared to Swaro ATS). I found the CA too high in the APO and the famous "Leica contrast/color" was over the top.

Maybe the "latest new/re-released version" from this year is better, I don't know if there are any visible changes, and I only tried the previous version.

A quick price check here and the the APO 65 is 35%! more expensive than the ATS65 (including a 25-50x). Maybe prices are different elsewhere.

Also I very much prefer the ergonomics of a helical focus ring, which you more comfortable can operate from below.
So it was a no-brainer for me. Pay less and get a better scope with the ATS.

553 and 883 are very different scopes...

An 883 would blow the APO 65 to pieces... ;)

553, no thanks, wait for the Swarovski ATC, I'm pretty sure it will be a better scope.

Last edited:
I have had an APO 65 for about three years and it's the best 'scope I've ever had. Previously had Leica APO 82, the older 62, Swarovski ATX95 (good but got tired of lumping it around) and three different ATS80's that kept fogging up, though I know birders who've had them years with no such problems.

I had APO 65 for a VERY short period....hated the way it turned anything beyond the focal point into a mosaic type pattern rather than just out of focus. Traded in for Swarovski ATX 65 although I still highly rate my old Leica APO 62 against that!

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back