• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A day to remember (1 Viewer)

gillian

Pete and I had it planned, an early start, flasks of coffee ready, tank filled and of course optics by the door ready for the off. My alarm went at 5.30 ready for a 6 am start the sky looked bright, very promising.We were off to see how many birds we could see in a day and hoped to reach 100 which as my last years list was only 181 would be pretty good going.

Our first stop was Chosley drying barns where we got yellowhammers, corn buntings and also saw the first of many whitethroats. As we drove down the road towards Titchwell all fingers were crossed that the little owl would be showing. There it was sitting as clear as could be right in the middle of a branch, I felt the day was going our way and I was right as we were greeted in the car park by the call of a cuckoo.

We made a brief visit to Fen hide were amongst other birds we saw sand martins and our first marsh harrier gracefully displaying for us. As the tide was right in we decided to walk down to the sea before visiting the other hides and we notched up some lovely birds on our stroll seaward including, blackcap, several sedge warblers, a willow warbler and turtle doves.

We arrived at the sea to be told by an even earlier watcher that it was ‘pretty dead’, never mind we were not disheartened. The sea was not heaving with life it was true but we still managed to boast our count considerably. I got my first gannet of the year, some over active waders and the joy of watching little tern feed just in front of us. A small group of sandwich terns were resting on the small part of the concrete structure not under water and provided a good photo opportunity.

Back to the hides and our list was building well as we watched a variety of ducks including pintail and geese with their young. We were busy watching three little gulls when a black tern flew into view and gave me by far the best views I had ever had of one. Up to then I had only seen them fly over the sea so it was grate to get the chance to really watch one.

We eat our early lunch watching the feeders as we still hadn’t seen blue or great tit but the only birds on the feeders were wood pigeons! We were rewarded though as a lesser redpoll landed at the top of a nearby tree, for me a life tick, an excellent day indeed. When we left Titchwell at about 11.30 our list had tipped 90, we were doing well and having a smashing day.

A quick detour for grey partridge then of to Cley to see what that would yield. The answer was not a lot, but never mind a few more before moving on to Walsey hill for our 100th bird Cettis warbler…horary.

A drive down the coast road to Waxham to try to get the red footed falcon, no luck but we were delighted to see the doterrels and a stone curlew so well worth the drive. Our final place (well almost) was Great Yarmouth were we had heard two black redstarts were in the grave yard. No luck although I was pleased to have been there as I had only heard of it before, it really is a beautiful place.

Time for the drive home now were our other halves were waiting for us but well they really wouldn’t mind a very brief detour would they? No of course not as it was to try to see a barn owl and it obliged beautifully sitting out on a post.

So what a day it was and how many did we see, well I saw 111 and Pete saw 112. What did I miss? A coal tit when I made a brief loo stop! Slightly frustrating as one would have been feeding in my garden half the day, but it really didn’t matter.

It had been a great day and for me I think bird of the day was the black tern. Pete said for him it was the dotterels a Norfolk first for him and beautiful birds. I can’t wait to repeat it and see if I can beat my tally,

If you stayed with me to read this then thank you, it was hard to leave anything out but if you counted you would find I did 87 I think!

Gillian

Great account, Gillian. Titchwell is my favourite birding site bar none. Always the chance of something slightly out of the ordinary, as your visit shows.

As the "Pete" mentioned I can vouch for what a great days birding it was... the only two slight dissapointments were Great Yarmouth (was left wishing we'd nipped to Strumpshaw instead) and dipping the red foot - especially as I see that is is back again so will probably have to go back there next week to try and year list it.

112 is my new highest day list but cannot help but feel it's very beatable - we missed some fairly easy birds - no lt-tits, bullfinch, tree sparrow, none fo the woodpeckers... next time I'll be aiming for 120!

Three days in Norfolk and I saw far fewer birds - but still had a great time. Lovely account, btw, Gillian - a delight to read.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back