• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Advice needed (1 Viewer)

squidge

Wha Whassssat
I know this has been probably answered a million times so why not make it a million and one. I have a swaro 80 hd angled with 20x60 zoom. I'm thinking of starting digiscoping so my questions are do I need a balance rail and if so which one. I will need a camera adapter which one and finally which type of camera as there are just so many types and variations. Thanks. Ger.

I know this has been probably answered a million times so why not make it a million and one. I have a swaro 80 hd angled with 20x60 zoom. I'm thinking of starting digiscoping so my questions are do I need a balance rail and if so which one. I will need a camera adapter which one and finally which type of camera as there are just so many types and variations. Thanks. Ger.

Unfortunately it so much depends on other factors. Having tried other options and watched / used other people's set up I've settled on Swarovski's DCA and a Coolpix P6000 usually without a balance rail.

My personal reasons are:

Swaro scope and Swaro tripod bought for image quality and (lack of) weight. Therefore to add any of the larger (heavier) and more cumbersome adapters negates these expensive purchases. DCA adapter ring stays on scope and adds negligible weight. DCA itself stays on camera which is carried separately, simply push fitting when required. So quick, simple and fuss free. Your problem will be obtaining a camera with a screw thread to fit the adapter. Conversations with manufacturers at BirdFair suggest that they think this is the most elegant solution but the new adapters have had to be developed to respond to lack of suitable cameras.

Coolpix bought for image quality, the fact that it fits the DCA and the fact that it will work with a remote release without cumbersome release brackets. (and recommendation from Swarovski at previous BirdFair.)

Balance rail is useful if you are setting up for photo session. If you are generally birding and want to take intermittent photos I again find it adds to the fuss! If your scope locks pretty firmly only minor adjustments are needed when fitting the camera and DCA without a balance rail. I guess other (heavier) adapters or cameras will make the balance rail more necessary.

The limitations for me with this sort of set up really seem to be more related to the fact that you have to shoot through such a length of disturbing atmosphere than anything else. Short of birding on the moon I don't think this can be resolved!

I've spent years pondering purchases of optics, HiFi, cameras, cars etc and I've never been as certain that my decision was correct as I have been with this combination! (If you knew the number of mistakes I've made in other areas this would sound less big-headed!)

Good Luck and let us know what you choose. Perhaps with a photo!

Last edited:
Thanks Roger for your reply. I found it very useful as weight is a big issue for me. I will be mostly birding with the scope and taking occasional pics so your setup seems to be the ideal one. I'll let you know how I get on. Thanks Ger.

I have to agree with Roger, if weight is a major criteria and you are just using a little camera for a few snapshots then his setup is perfect.

I pretty much always have a telescope rail on my tripod as I am mostly photographing with heavy DSLRs which really need a rail.

Thanks Dale, I checked out your vids on youtube, I hope its that easy when I see a mega rarity and want to get a pic for confirmation.;) I seem to be sold on the DCA system so its just down to which camera to get.Ger.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back