• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wisconsin USA (1 Viewer)

Chris1973

Pictures taken this morning in a grasslands area. I think #1 is a Sedge Wren; not sure on #2/4; #3 looks like a Clay-colored Sparrow.

Thank you!

Attachments

• 180.jpg
    180.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 51
  • 392.jpg
    392.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 53
  • 458.jpg
    458.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 57
  • 301.JPG
    301.JPG
    252.2 KB · Views: 53
I'm good with Sedge Wren for #1 (although from this head-on shot it's not easy to separate from Marsh Wren). #2 and #4 are Ammodramus sparrows, and look like Henslow's to me. I agree with Clay-colored for #3.

Just to be awkward I think 3 is a Grasshopper Sparrow. Clay-colored would have distinct malar stripes / lateral throat stripes and LeContes would show some streaking on the breast, even if it was just at the sides, and the throat would be rather obviously white against the buff breast.

Chris

I found another picture of #3 from a different angle. For 2/4, I think Henslow's makes sense. I thought I heard some calling from hidden places in the grass in multiple locations. The head didn't look dark like in my guide, but I guess that is the light.

Attachments

• 445.JPG
    445.JPG
    457.2 KB · Views: 38
Sorry to disagree. On my screen there is some yellow in the supercilium in both 2 and 4 that fits a lot better with grasshopper sparrow than with any of the other options mentioned here.

Niels

I found another picture of #3 from a different angle. For 2/4, I think Henslow's makes sense. I thought I heard some calling from hidden places in the grass in multiple locations. The head didn't look dark like in my guide, but I guess that is the light.

that's a clay colored spa.

The ammadramus could be grasshopper spa as suggested.

None of these are Grasshopper Sparrows. 2 and 4 clearly show streaking on the breast, absent in Grasshopper Sparrow, and the second picture of number 3 clearly shows a Clay-colored Sparrow. The lack of grayish lores and auriculars and heavy bill rule out Le Conte's for 2 and 4, and the yellowish supercilium (and yellow-greenish face) is consistent with Henslow's Sparrow, which is what 2 and 4 are.

So, to recap:

1. Sedge Wren
2. Henslow's Sparrow
3. Clay-colored Sparrow
4. Henslow's Sparrow.

None of these are Grasshopper Sparrows. 2 and 4 clearly show streaking on the breast, absent in Grasshopper Sparrow, and the second picture of number 3 clearly shows a Clay-colored Sparrow. The lack of grayish lores and auriculars and heavy bill rule out Le Conte's for 2 and 4, and the yellowish supercilium (and yellow-greenish face) is consistent with Henslow's Sparrow, which is what 2 and 4 are.

So, to recap:

1. Sedge Wren
2. Henslow's Sparrow
3. Clay-colored Sparrow
4. Henslow's Sparrow.

This is fun (and an education), I've seen 1 henslow's (1990) and 1 leconte's (1991) so I am NO expert. I am coming around to the above ID. Good work.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back