• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Palo Alto, California USA - last mix (1 Viewer)

Fandango739

GeoBird
United States
Seen in October in Palo Alto Baylands.

1 - 2) At first I thought the dark underwing spot was odd shadow play, but now I don't think so. Who has this?
3 - 4) I have been unable to find a clear ID match for this sparrow. At least it was willing to pose for the pics.
5) Dowitcher or...?

Thanks for sharing the knowledge!

Attachments

• a - CA IMG_3442.jpg
    a - CA IMG_3442.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 31
  • a - IMG_3378.jpg
    a - IMG_3378.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 21
  • aa - Sparrow IMG_3036.jpg
    aa - Sparrow IMG_3036.jpg
    821.1 KB · Views: 20
  • aa - Sparrow IMG_3037.jpg
    aa - Sparrow IMG_3037.jpg
    792.3 KB · Views: 32
  • a - IMG_3245.jpg
    a - IMG_3245.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 34
Agree the last bird looks like a dowitcher, but why is it swimming?
It is a Dowitcher and there’s a very good chance it’s Long-billed Dowitcher because they frequently swim in California. I’ve noticed that LB Dowitchers make a habit of hanging out in water up to their belly like this, and even swim with some regularity, whereas you might see a Short-billed in deep water briefly but they almost never choose to hang out that way and loaf around. There are some particular spots around San Diego where LB do this all the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back