• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nest and egg ID (1 Viewer)

I'd guess American Robin, but I've got no personal experience of their nests, so see what others say.

Yeah that was what I suspected too, but the placement location of the nest isn't typical and there's always the possibility of species with lookalike eggs so that's why I'm posting here!

Sorry but it's not,

'No photos of eggs nor captive birds'.

A

Wow, my bad, I read the rules wrong. I thought that "Please do not post photos of eggs or captive birds for identification. You may post a link to a photo of a nest but do not post the photo of the nest here" allowed me to post a link to the egg photo, but apparently that applies only to nests.

I cannot figure out how to delete this thread!

Wow, my bad, I read the rules wrong. I thought that "Please do not post photos of eggs or captive birds for identification. You may post a link to a photo of a nest but do not post the photo of the nest here" allowed me to post a link to the egg photo, but apparently that applies only to nests.

I cannot figure out how to delete this thread!

Apologies if I've misinterpreted the rules?

I don't know if you are aware but in the UK in particular, there has been an historical problem with people collecting birds eggs and forums such as this, could inadvertently provide them with the site of a nest which could then be targeted?

'You may post a link to a photo of a nest but do not post the photo of the nest here" .....to me, this makes no sense at all, posting a shot here or via a link amounts to the same thing to me?

A

Last edited:
Only Upload Photos that you have taken yourself.

The photographs posted in the gallery should fit into the categories listed. The gallery is for wild, untamed and free-roaming creatures. Please do not post pictures of pets, caged or kept birds or animals. Likewise the plant kingdom, the Gallery is for wild flora. No cultivated trees or plants, eg. garden flowers.

Bird Forum does not condone the uploading of photographs of birds in nests to the Gallery and requests that members do not do so. Any such photos will be deleted.

Whilst it's appreciated that such photos can be taken under licence where appropriate, we do not want to encourage any unnecessary nest disturbance which may occur by less informed members.

Nestbox photos where disturbance does not occur, i.e. nest cams for remote viewing, will be permitted. The administrators and moderators reserve the right to delete any inappropriate photos.

Just copied the above from Gallery guidelines...I hope it helps.

I really wish I could delete this thread now. I should've read more carefully and I definitely wouldn't have posted if I had read them correctly. Sorry everyone!

I can delete the thread if you like but it is also a learning opportunity for others so just let me know if you wanted it deleted. You can post here and I'll keep a look out ;)

I can delete the thread if you like but it is also a learning opportunity for others so just let me know if you wanted it deleted. You can post here and I'll keep a look out ;)

Perhaps the posting guidelines need to be clarified i.e simply 'no eggs in nests' ?

I see no issue with people posting broken, discarded eggs for ID as long as they're not in a nest.

A

I can't see any problems - the photo is linked, not uploaded inline, so it doesn't break the rules by my reading of them.

Thrushes will often nest in "the wrong place", they don't read the rules at all ;-) so I'd not worry about the location being odd.

My point Nutty is that there's effectively no difference to a pic being posted or linked, it's one extra click

Agree. To remove ambiguity, I think the second sentence ("You may post a link to a photo of a nest but do not post the photo of the nest here") of the paragraph of the sticky devoted to nest photography should be deleted. When I rewrote the sticky years ago I was concerned with other matters and just copied the nest photography paragraph from an earlier version without thinking about it much.

Last edited:
On the theme of learning opportunities here, it might be good to note that it’s certainly not a good idea for anyone to ever walk right up to a bird nest and touch it or the area *anywhere* near it, as seen happening in this photo, as mammalian predators routinely follow the scent trails of humans (and other animals) to check out what the human might’ve been looking at or doing.

(A Hermit Thrush or Veery nest- would guess Hermit Thrush, since in my experience Veeries tend to use more dead leaves in the base of/surrounding the nest- & are also slightly less likely than a Hermit Thrush to put the nest right on the ground.)

Last edited:
This is really going to get those egg collectors out in force now that they know we have breeding American thrush species in the UK ... ;) 3:)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back