• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Abandoned Chick found on Crete’s Asterusia Montains (1 Viewer)

Ntsopoul

Germany
Hi,

I am just a traveler who found an abandoned chick which ID I would like to know. Also, please let me know if I should/can feed the chick and how. It is in my humble opinion very large and probably belongs to a large bird. I found the chick in an empty house on the ground with cats sneaking around((gps coordinates 34.9623156, 25.0424622)). Because the chick was at the bottom unprotected from cats, I assumed the bird fell from its nest. I looked around and could not find any nest. I took the bird to a sheltered place. See picture attached with bottle lid for comparison.

photos here:

Last edited:
Pigeon, probably Feral pigeon when breeding in a house (Collared Dove would be possible too), just leave it where you found it, Feral pigeons often build hardly any nest
Excellent identification. I checked google and the pics in the internet match very well! I already took it with me. Too many cats around. If I put it back it will become cat dinner for sure … Not sure what to do … I did not touch it though, I carried it on a stone. Can I still “give it back”?

Even if you touched it you can always bring it back, birds do not smell humans. And pigeons are very hard to raise as they are fed a kind of crop 'milk' by their parents.
ok brought it back as you suggested. I saw some pigeons in the house this time. I assume these are the parents. I guess they had the chick in a bucket close to the sealing which served as nest. As you pointed out they do not build nests and use probably their environment. I wonder whether they can “pick up” the chick and fly it back to the bucket?! Or will they abandon it now that it fell off? I guess it is too heavy. Since it is not some rare bird I guess it is not meaningful to attempt to raise it. Thanks for your help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back