• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Buzzards (1 Viewer)

kas

Couldn't believe this when I spotted it.

It was 2 buzzards on a plucked dead bird. A scene more fimiliar with sparrowhawks.
Do you think these buzzards have just stumbled on this by chance?

It looks quite a large bird, white feather make me think it could possibly be a gull. Any other suggestions?

We have alot of Buzzards up North, you can't go on any journey out of town without seeing one. But have never seen them like this. Surely they would never have taken this bird down themself.

They were 2 fields away so pics not as clear as I'd liked them to be.

Attachments

• forum 2.jpg
    forum 2.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 168
  • forum.jpg
    forum.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 172
i aint seen buzzard feeding on bird before, but it seems like they were just making use of a easy meal prehaps! - shame the pics were a bit dark.

kas said:
Couldn't believe this when I spotted it.

It was 2 buzzards on a plucked dead bird. A scene more fimiliar with sparrowhawks.
Do you think these buzzards have just stumbled on this by chance?

It looks quite a large bird, white feather make me think it could possibly be a gull. Any other suggestions?

We have alot of Buzzards up North, you can't go on any journey out of town without seeing one. But have never seen them like this. Surely they would never have taken this bird down themself.

They were 2 fields away so pics not as clear as I'd liked them to be.

Buzzards regularly take corvids such as Rook and Carrion Crow. I've seen one feeding on a Black-headed Gull, but don't know if it caught it itself. I don't see why not. Buzzards are habitually slow-moving, but have been known to act like Sparrowhawk in woodland, mounting sneak attacks. It's just not their normal way of feeding.

salty said:
i aint seen buzzard feeding on bird before, but it seems like they were just making use of a easy meal prehaps! - shame the pics were a bit dark.

Unfortunately the pictures are dark due to the distance, and the fact that the sun was about to set. It is a pity because it would have been a great photo if conditions were better.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back