• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

considering digiscoping with canon 30D (1 Viewer)

sarniabirding

I've read many articles and viewed way to many videos now. The one question that remains can a canon 30D with a 50mm lens work for this set up and if the answer is YES then which is considered a moderately well priced kit (say $500 CAN) without the tripod?

I've read many articles and viewed way to many videos now. The one question that remains can a canon 30D with a 50mm lens work for this set up and if the answer is YES then which is considered a moderately well priced kit (say $500 CAN) without the tripod?

I have used a 50D with a 50mm f1.4 on my Swarovski 80HD.

See my other posts/gripes here. I connect it normally on the UCA. The other alternative I have tried is the TLS 800. There are a number of limitations.

Its is OK for a big static birds, not small ones. Your keeper rate will be well below 1% to start with. You need very good light and you will only be able use Av mode. (or perhaps M - I am currently experimenting with M mode (and flash)on my 100 - 400mm lens as it is easier to use handheld in this dreary weather and poor light.
If you fit the camera (on the UCA) onto the eyepiece and the scope is already in focus it will need to be refocussed. The 50mm lens will need to be in MF.

You really need to keep your ISO down for image quality (graininess goes up remarkably with ISO) The 80HD gives you F10, no more, no less. Your variable you have left is the shutter speed.

I shall keep on trying - when the clouds part and spring shines through :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back