• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sigma 50-500 wobble?? (1 Viewer)

Hello guys, I've recently acquired what appears to be an absolutely mint Bigma for Minolta mount which I intend to use with my Sony A7.........problem is, if I try to manually focus the ring is very stiff as if the lens' weight is holding the ring from turning smoothly.....if I slightly lift the lens a little with the other hand the ring spins much easier- the rear also has a little wobble to it..........what do you guys think?

I purchased it from a woman who met me at a Barnes & Nobles and as soon as I paid her- she basically left the store in a hurry............starting to think the lens may have been dropped while in the protective case and thus why it looks 100% mint but has a wobbly rear (where tripod collar is).....does anyone else have an issue with their Bigma when manually focusing or did I just get ripped off?

Sad- was going to photograph my daughter's baptism with the lens.

Anyway it is what it is.......let me know what you guys think about this Bigma.

Hello guys, I've recently acquired what appears to be an absolutely mint Bigma for Minolta mount which I intend to use with my Sony A7.........problem is, if I try to manually focus the ring is very stiff as if the lens' weight is holding the ring from turning smoothly.....if I slightly lift the lens a little with the other hand the ring spins much easier- the rear also has a little wobble to it..........what do you guys think?

I purchased it from a woman who met me at a Barnes & Nobles and as soon as I paid her- she basically left the store in a hurry............starting to think the lens may have been dropped while in the protective case and thus why it looks 100% mint but has a wobbly rear (where tripod collar is).....does anyone else have an issue with their Bigma when manually focusing or did I just get ripped off?

Sad- was going to photograph my daughter's baptism with the lens.

Anyway it is what it is.......let me know what you guys think about this Bigma.

I use to love my Bigma lens, it was my first long reach lens and I got some great shots with it, I tended to hand hold and manual focus the lens and I have had any problems.
Does the lens still focus? Just wondered if the tripod collar is loose and that's what is wobbly or when the lens is actually mounted to the camera body?

Tim.

Tim, I ended up sending it to Sigma in Ronkonkoma , NY- hopefully it will be serviced and brought back to perfect working order.
The lens ring was stiff to focus in MF mode.......the weight of the lens was holding it back- if I lifted a little the ring became easy to spin- so something inside was amiss.
Thanks for the reply- cheers!!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back