• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Was it a Brambling ? (1 Viewer)

BillPackman

Hello All

I am new to the site and although not an avid bird watcher by any means I do tend to notice the various breeds(??) that visit my garden.

This morning I noticed, very briefly, a bird I had never seen before and would welcome any thoughts as to what it was. Looking around various sites the closest I can get is a Brambling. Unfortunately this particular creature had much more vivid black and red spotted markings and, unlike a Brambling, was tiny. I guess it's wingspan was no more than 15cm. It was in a hedgerow, in Dorset. Would its size be due to its age ? Do young birds take on vivid markings at a young age. Are there any infant birds at this time of year ?

As you can tell - definitely and amateur but any suggestions as to what it was would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Bill

Hi Bill and "Welcome to Birdforum", on behalf of all the moderators and staff here.

It's very unlikely to be a Brambling at this time of year!

Can you describe in detail where on the bird the black and red parts were?

Cheers,

Andy.

Andy

Now thats a quick response ! Thanks.

As I said, the view I got was very brief. From landing to hopping into the hedge was only seconds. I would say that the head was pure black and that the red/black chequering began down the back and onto the inside edge of the wings and onto the beginning of the tail..

An exceptionally vague description there and no doubt employing all the wrong terms, I'd be surprised if you could glean anything from it at all !! I will get my camera at the ready for the next sighting.

Thank in advance for your help.

Bill

BillPackman said:
I would say that the head was pure black and that the red/black chequering began down the back and onto the inside edge of the wings and onto the beginning of the tail.

I can't think of a native bird that would fit this description Bill, I guess we're now looking at an escaped cage bird?

I'm sure someone will come up with a suggestion soon!

Andy.

Thanks for all your suggestions. And short of a re-visit captured on camera I think this one may remain a mystery.... I will scour the net when I have more time and let you know if any of the pictures ring a bell. Thanks for the link to the photo but unfortunately that is not the one. Definitely a vivid red colour.

The escaped pet option sounds conceivable. Living in a remote village I imagine it wont take much asking around to find out if anyone is missing a red/black bird.

Thanks again and I'll drop you a line when(if) I've had a better look/taken a pic.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back