• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Small wader with orange legs and beak, Berwick upon Tweed (1 Viewer)

louisk

United Kingdom
Hi folks,

Just saw a small wader (maybe a tad under pigeon sized, much smaller than nearby mallards) picking around the shore of the tidal river in Berwick upon Tweed with:

• Short, bright orange legs
  • bright orange beak, not long. Can't say if it was darker tip but def orange on beak
  • white/cream underneath
  • brownish grey on top
  • vivid clear white wing bar in flight

Not sure how much patterning it had on its back, and I don't remember an impression of a spotty stomach but couldn't definitely rule it out.

It made a call similar to those on merlin app for Common or Spotted sandpiper, a few short loud piercing squeaks.

Various sandpipers look plausible but I'm not sure! Any ideas?

could it be a redshank - there are lots of those in Berwick harbour? I took these pics there in August.

Attachments

• P1120542.jpeg
    P1120542.jpeg
    7.4 MB · Views: 5
  • P1120546.jpeg
    P1120546.jpeg
    8.8 MB · Views: 5
  • P1120538.jpeg
    P1120538.jpeg
    9.2 MB · Views: 4
  • P1120540.jpeg
    P1120540.jpeg
    6.3 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Interesting - there is enough white on the wing of the purple sandpiper to be a contender for me. It was below me in flight, between me and a low sun, so could have appeared brighter than it seemed. Wingspan of sandpiper relative to the mallards flying nearby seems plausible too!

Interesting - there is enough white on the wing of the purple sandpiper to be a contender for me. It was below me in flight, between me and a low sun, so could have appeared brighter than it seemed. Wingspan of sandpiper relative to the mallards flying nearby seems plausible too!
I understand Purple Sandpipers are often relatively tame or approachable in comparison to many other waders/shorebirds. Might that be a pointer. Did you manage to be reasonably close up to it?

I understand Purple Sandpipers are often relatively tame or approachable in comparison to many other waders/shorebirds. Might that be a pointer. Did you manage to be reasonably close up to it?

Ah sure, I got say 15 metres from it, after I approached from 50+m away, along the Riverside path. It seemed unphased. After a few mins with the binoculars I was surprised when the whole group was spooked by something, including previously sleeping mallards. Other folks had walked past too come to think of it, less than 10m away, during that time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back