• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kingfishers and Waxwings in Hampshire (1 Viewer)

madmike

I wonder if anyone may know of any good sites to see Kingfishers in the Hampshire area near to Southampton/Portsmouth.
I have heard about a possible site near to Bedhampton waterworks, and would welcome some more details of that particular place.
Also, anyone seen any Waxwings in Hampshire this year?
A few years ago they amassed on a tree in Hedge End which cause a great amount of interest, but there are no berries on the tree this year yet!
I had a photo of one of the WW's published in the DT as it was considered newsworthy at the time!

MM

Kingfishers and waxwings in hampshire

Have you managed to track waxwings down? If not Hampshire has anyone seen waxwings nearer London than Suffolk?

RM
I did manage to get a quick glimps of a kingfisher the other day at a spot on the river Itchen near Winchester, but I think the WW are still up north or out east!

The looming storm with strong westerly winds won't help that's for sure.

Any news of waxwings coming south or west (ie south of Oxford west of London!) would be much appreciated!

MM

Have you managed to track waxwings down? If not Hampshire has anyone seen waxwings nearer London than Suffolk?

RM

Depending on your location in London. Waxwings were at Stodmarsh, Kent last week. Not sure if they are still there but will keep my eye out and let you know.

MM,

There's a reasonable chance of seeing a Kingfisher from the Suffern Hide at Titchfield Haven NNR as they are being reported regularly at the moment and I've seen one on most of my recent visits there.

As for Waxwings, they reached Bracknell in Berkshire a few days ago, but no reports in Hampshire as yet. Keep your eyes on the berries outside a certain camera shop in Hedge End!

Dave W

Waxwings in Kent???

I have never seen a waxwing and am really hoping this year will change that. Has anyone spotted any in Kent this month?

Di

MM,

There's a reasonable chance of seeing a Kingfisher from the Suffern Hide at Titchfield Haven NNR as they are being reported regularly at the moment and I've seen one on most of my recent visits there.

As for Waxwings, they reached Bracknell in Berkshire a few days ago, but no reports in Hampshire as yet. Keep your eyes on the berries outside a certain camera shop in Hedge End!

Dave W

Thanks for all that Dave - my birding next door neighbours told me about the KF as they were at Titchfield the other day - alas on the best day of the week I'm tied up with a broken immersion heater etc.
I was at the certain camera shop the other day, and made a point of looking at the nearby trees, but there are no berries on them at the moment!

When the WW decended there a few years ago I had my photo published in the DT as it was considered so news worthy!!
I live in hopes as the tree at the end of my garden is full of berries!!

MM

I wonder if anyone may know of any good sites to see Kingfishers in the Hampshire area near to Southampton/Portsmouth.

MM

Have recorded kingfishers along the River Test just south of Kings Somborne and also along the river as it flows through Stockbridge. Leave the car at the John of Gaunt pub just south of K. Somborne and walk along the old railway footpath which runs adjacent to the Test.
best of luck,
regards,
Jono

Hi, I have just seen a large flock of waxwings in a tree outside my house in Hounsdown, Totton. Never seen them before and had to look them up!Also caught a glimpse of a kingfisher flying at Eling Tide Mill recently.

Hi, I have just seen a large flock of waxwings in a tree outside my house in Hounsdown, Totton. Never seen them before and had to look them up!Also caught a glimpse of a kingfisher flying at Eling Tide Mill recently.

Ha, I've been watching birds on and off for 40+ years and have yet to see a waxwing so you're in luck there... Romsey seems to be a bit of a hotspot though so I might be lucky yet. Kingfishers are at the Lower Test Lake too.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back