• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

UK Retailers for Meopta Meostar S2 (2 Viewers)

Darney53

United Kingdom
Hello

I live in the UK and have been using a Nikon ED50 as my scope for about 10 years. One of my favourite sites is Farlington Marshes on the south coast, near Portsmouth. Although I always get some great views with the ED50 I am left, on occasion, feeling frustrated that I'm missing out on some of the birds that are a bit more distant.

Consequently, I've been thinking of upgrading to a larger scope. I've considered the Swarovski ATX 85, Kowa TSN 880, the Nikon Monarch 82 but I remember looking through a Meopta Meostar S2 82 mm at the bird fair some years ago and, being very impressed by it, added it to my list. Having looked recently I've found that Meopta doesn't seem to have a significant presence in the UK at least not where optics for nature observation is concerned.

So I wondered whether users of this scope in the UK could tell me how they purchased their scopes or whether it would be easy to purchase from a retailer in another European country. Ideally, I would like to try the scope first before deciding on a purchase, although my impression is many people buy online and then return the scope if they are not happy.
Thanks for any advice

Atb

I don’t own anything made by Meopta but a very quick Google found this shop near Edinburgh.
Seems like a Huntin, shootin and fishin shop but they are st least in the U.K. (for now)

Good Luck

Thanks Mike I hadn't seen that one. I've found that Ruag Ammotec are the UK importer of Meopta equipment but they only supply trade. I did find another UK based shop (Bradford Stalker Hunting and Gun Shop) that stocked Meopta equipment, mainly rifle scopes, but with some Meopta spotting scopes.

When I spoke to a Meopta representative at the Birdfair, about 4-5 years ago, he said they were intending to increase their presence as suppliers of spotting scopes for birding, but it doesn't seem this has progressed very far as yet.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back