• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Article about problems about young people working in conservation. (1 Viewer)

Good advice I think - unless you have got substantial family wealth behind you and / or a wealthy partner and unless you are very lucky, a career in conservation in the UK is unlikely to enable you to secure a mortgage, or save for a pension.

cheers, alan

Unfortunately I was the 'wealthy' partner |:D|

I met my wife doing volunteer conservation work, and she worked for a while as a ranger, initially on short term contracts, eventually on staff at a privately operated reserve on a reclaimed landfill site near where we lived. Unfortunately the other ranger there was a [redacted] so she left to become a full time mum rather than work with him.

No, I am afraid not.

No, I would not. However I would not blame individual charities much, because I think there is a wrong system which developed on which individual charities have little influence.

It should be corrected but needs more broad scale. For example government and sponsors need to understand there is a cost in maintaining pool of resources (eg. field equipment) and skilled people. One hears stories that e.g. a major museum with centuries old, irreplacable collection of specimens was given no money to maintain it. The same in a smaller scale happens with conservation charities.

I agree with this but I would blame the large charities. The charities would perhaps have more government funding if there were more people clamouring government for change. That is more likely with a diverse workforce meaning a wider demographic pushing for change. The short term savings the large charities make by not paying their staff are a false economy if they cost them more in the future.

I am not advocating a boycott - I'm still a member of several charities but do write to them, tweet them, speak to why you know who works for them etc... I'm also certainly not against volunteering but the clue is in the name. It should be something you do voluntarily to help out rather than a requirement with specified hours that you need to get your next job.

Can't speak for Sports Direct but believe me you'd rather work for a conservation charity than be an Uber driver. The amount of carrot dangling lies and exploitation they are fed is off the scale. And the Government certainly stands for their employment practices.

I'm not defending Uber but an Uber driver probably earns more than an unpaid full time intern? My point is just because these are conservation charities that do good work, does not mean they should get away with employment practices that we would frown on if the company had a bed reputation.

I started my career at RSPB in the 80s then moved into marketing as a career. I have returned to conservation to run Manx BirdLife. I have two children.

I find it unacceptable that today's young people are expected to rack up huge education debts, and then must undertake 2-5 years' voluntary work with no promise of a job, let alone a career, at the end of it. Yet, conservation, for those lucky enough to get on the ladder, does now offer a career pathway - something it never did in the past except for a very few lucky, talented and committed individuals.

In my current role, I am frustrated at the lack of funding available to give opportunities to young people. I did find some money to provide a short-term contract to a local Manx ecology graduate. My hope is that her experience will encourage her to bring her skills and passion back to the Isle of Man at some future point for the sake of our birds and other wildlife.

If you're thinking of a career in conservation, then my goodness we need you like never before. But caveat emptor. It'll be a tough and maybe unpredictable ride. Good luck. And don't be afraid to duck out into another career for a while before returning when you can afford it.

I am not advocating a boycott - I'm still a member of several charities but do write to them, tweet them, speak to why you know who works for them etc...

I agree. I would also suggest that even better would be to press government and local governments and other major sponsors. First, because they influence many charities. Second, they need to be aware that part of their money should go to fair employment. Nobody wants to punish charities or limit their work, but make their work together with fair employment conditions.

Also, I would press universities. A little charity might struggle with money and lack know-how how to best organize its structure. But an university with big budget which hires tens of excess 'interns' and 'postdocs' certainly can do better.

Last edited:
I'm not defending Uber but an Uber driver probably earns more than an unpaid full time intern? My point is just because these are conservation charities that do good work, does not mean they should get away with employment practices that we would frown on if the company had a bed reputation.

I know and agree. It's just the very mention of that vile company, especially on a forum for this wonderful hobby of ours, and I have to comment. I should resist but unfortunately it's almost an involuntary reaction now.

I have a son who got a degree in wildlife conservation. He worked a couple years doing low pay or volunteer jobs he found from this http://wfscjobs.tamu.edu/job-board/ and similar job boards. He said even those jobs were incredibly competitive. In the winter even more so.

I believe the established idea for young folk looking to make conservation a career is to graduate with a degree in biology or environmental sciences, then work a couple years in these short term low paying jobs. Once you've "paid your dues" so to speak, you speak to researchers at different universities to try to get a research assistantship to get a masters or phd. Once you have at least a masters, you have a chance at permanent work.

The whole field is incredibly competitive and I speculate has low pay and low job security overall. My son got tired of it and has decided to pursue a masters in computer science, where demand and pay is high. He said he'll just bird in his free time.

I've asked him if he is disappointed with his decision. He said no as he foresaw a lifetime of stress ahead of him career-wise. I'm happy as long as he's happy.

Jack

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back