• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Greetings from Houston, any tips to attract birds? (1 Viewer)

oxonian

Hello friends,

Greetings from Houston. I recently moved into an acreage property in the Houston area.

I am an amateur at birding, and am keen on learning more about birds in my area, and how to attract them.

So far, I have put up a bird seed feeder in my backyard, and put black sunflower oil seeds in them.

I seem to be attracting what I think is a red cardinal, and some blue colored birds. The blue birds are larger than the red cardinals, and seem to get the first pick when on the birdfeeder.

Any tips on how I can attract more birds and a greater variety? Any particular types of food I should add? Should I get a nectar feeder?

Does Houston have a variety of bird breeds? Anything interesting I should look out for?

Thank you so much,
Oxonian

Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

We’re glad you found us and please join in wherever you like ;)

Your large Blue birds sound like possibly Blue Jays and yes, they are greedy son of a guns ;). Judging from my friends in the State of Texas, you will see many birds. You'll never go wrong with a hummer feeder or two and I find sunflower hearts (unshelled sunflower seeds) bring in a bunch of birds.

My first suggestion though would be to get a bird guide for your area which will help you name the birds you spot ;) Enjoy!

Hi KC,

Thank you for your reply, I appreciate it.

Do you, or anyone else have a recommendation on a good guide book for the area?

Also, any recommendations for a hummingbird feeder?

Thank you so much,
Oxonian

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back