• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

NOISE REMOVER (FREE) Picture Cooler (1 Viewer)

I'm with Ian - NR is the very last action for me.

Why? Because very often, after I've cropped, resized and sharpened, I don't need NR - but I can't make that decision until I've completed the other actions in the process.

Makes sense to me..!

;)

As to NR software preferences, I am firmly in the Neat Image camp these days (though I've had a Picture Cooler license since November 2005): I find Neat Image (Home edition) NR to be significantly more controllable, and I keep more detail with it compared with other NR software.

I like the interface too.

That said, I haven't tried Picture Cooler for a long time - I might give it another look.

I'm a complete beginner with Neat Image. I've kept the settings as the default ones. I find that using it does remove the noise but it also removes the feather detail. I'm wondering if this is an intrinsic fault of the process or am I doing something wrong? I haven't been brave enough to move away from the default settings.

Joanne

I'm a complete beginner with Neat Image. I've kept the settings as the default ones. I find that using it does remove the noise but it also removes the feather detail. I'm wondering if this is an intrinsic fault of the process or am I doing something wrong? I haven't been brave enough to move away from the default settings.

Joanne

It's well worth experimenting with the settings. If you're losing feather detail then you need to reduce the filter setting. The default settings can be a little bit too severe.

An alternative with NeatImage is to download noise filter profiles for your particular camera model and for it's various ISO settings.

It's well worth experimenting with the settings. If you're losing feather detail then you need to reduce the filter setting. The default settings can be a little bit too severe.

An alternative with NeatImage is to download noise filter profiles for your particular camera model and for it's various ISO settings.

Out-law..could you please write in lay man's terms..this stupid Singh doesnt under stand..the para...An alternative with neatimage....my camera has only two settings in ISO-100 and 200...i do get some blurred images some times and then dont know what to do...i know..stupid isnt it..well my friend that's me...lol..:-O

Joanne
Hi Joanne,

Not sure what you use for image editing. If it's Photoshop (or similar) and you use NI as a Plug-In then you can use layers to remove the NR over bits of the image that you require to be kept as-is.

Out-law..could you please write in lay man's terms..this stupid Singh doesnt under stand..the para...An alternative with neatimage....my camera has only two settings in ISO-100 and 200...i do get some blurred images some times and then dont know what to do...i know..stupid isnt it..well my friend that's me...lol..:-O

I should have made this clearer. With NeatImage you can download from the web site various noise filtering profiles however this is only for certain camera models. They cover DSLRs, compacts and even mobile phones - unfortunately they don't do Kowa. You can however build you own filter profile by saving any settings that you find work well for each ISO setting.

It's no big deal really as all it does is save a bit of time. The same results can be achieved by manual altering the slider settings for each photo you work on using trial and error.

NeatImage won't solve blurred image problems I'm afraid. At the time of taking the photo I'd be inclined to be using ISO 200 - provided the noise on the sesnor isn't too excessive - even if the image is grainy that's where NeatImage comes into it's own. By using ISO200 you have doubled the shutter speed but created more noise (graininess) but NI is good at removing/reducing that graininess.

Thanks Ian, I'll try reducing the filter setting.

Hi Joanne,

Not sure what you use for image editing. If it's Photoshop (or similar) and you use NI as a Plug-In then you can use layers to remove the NR over bits of the image that you require to be kept as-is.

Hi Frank

I am using Photoshop. That sounds complicated...I haven't got to grips with layers yet. Actually I don't even know what a plug in is. Duh.;)

Joanne

Hi Joanne,

You can still use selective NR using the non plug-in version of NeatImage using layers. Simply open 2 files of the same image (one with and one without NR) then copy one of the images as a layer into the second image and use layer techniques - works a treat and gives very controllable NR by also using the opacity sliders.
(This said, I realise this is simple only if you have a basic grasp of layers!)

Kevin

I am ronniex author of Picture Cooler noise reduction program
I have now a new program Focus Forensic (like Focus Magic)
It can be used for bird photos that are moved or out of focus.
Very complex program to make (first out july 2008)
every user of Bird Forum can get a free unlock code.

ask by e-mail address is in the program

Download from http://denoiser.Shorturl.com/
Ronnie

Last edited:
Thank you Ronnie, I had already downloaded Focus forensic yesterday and it looks very promising, I have a few photo's I have taken today which have slight movement in them so can't wait to give it a try.
Good luck with your new program it looks a winner.

Looks good to me as well. Picturecooler is a great program - I much prefer it over NeatImage for noise filtration.

Thought I would post a before and after using Focus forensic.

This wasn't the easiest to do because I couldn't quite make out the direction of the movement.

Attachments

• Buzzardc111205-008.jpg
    Buzzardc111205-008.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 149
  • Buzzardc111205-008f.jpg
    Buzzardc111205-008f.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 150
Hawks have always fascinated me, and the moment I saw these pictures, I had to look closer.

Read your comment about not knowing the direction of "movement" to correct the softness...
your shutter speed was 1/800 so "movement" was unlikely.

I also could not find any directional movement, and the softness was because it was slightly out of focus.

If you have FOCUS Forensic, it will correct the softness quick & easy.

Seems like a familiar program on this site, and just made for correction of softness such as this.

Rohn
Saint Simons Island

Thanks Rohn, the reason I thought it was movement is because I was in a slow moving car at the time. I spotted the bird as we passed it so my OH turned around and started to go back. I was taking shots before he came to a halt but by that time we stopped it had flown off, so this was the best I could get.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back