• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding on the Hudson River! (1 Viewer)

gthang

Ford Focus Fanatic: mmmmmm... 3.1415926535.....
Well, finally we went on our boat for the first time this year! The marina we are docked at is on the Hudson River, so we can expect a lot of nice waterfowl. We got what we expected. The main reason for the boating outing was to find Bald Eagles. We thought we'd see them soaring. But there was almost nothing soaring in the sky.

From the Marina, we headed north towards Kingston, NY. Along the way, we saw Great Blue Herons, Double-Crested Cormorants, A gull or two, a couple of Mallards, and a whole gaggle of Canada Geese.

The newest bird on my lifelist is the Great Black-Backed Gull (picture below, with unidentified bird with it). I couldn't believe how big they were!

So we headed home, pretty sure we weren't going to see any eagles today. When we got to the marina, we headed across the river, where my dad had photographed bald eagles during the winter. He asked me to scan the trees for any signs of birds. A few seconds later, I called out, "I see a Bald Eagle!" My dad, looking where I was pointing, said, "Holy Mackerel, you're right!" I started snapping pictures, but the camera wasn't focusing as much as it should have. It soon became apparent why: the batteries were almost dead. I switched them out after the Bald Eagle flew from his perch. When I resumed the camera, the Bald Eagle was across the river, getting mobbed by a blackbird! The Baldie fled back across the river, bringing the mob "boss" with him! We never saw the Baldie again...

Well, an incredible day! Just need to find out what the mystery bird in the attached picture is... If anyone can help me out with that, I'd really appreciate it! To me, it resembles a Laughing Gull, but I could be wrong, and as always, I want an expert opinion. If the image doesn't have enough to confirm or deny my (or your) ID, well, that was the only picture I have of that guy. Oh, yeah, there's a Great Black-Backed Gull and a Ring-Billed Gull in there too!

Attachments

• gulls.jpg
    gulls.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 132
Hey Dave, thanks for replying. Looking at Little Gull in the Sibley guide, it is a rare bird.

I'm gonna list the possibilities, and i'll check them out in the Bird Database:
Black-Legged Kittiwake
Laughing Gull
juvie Black Tern

Not easy, this one, but it's a gull, not a tern. The swept-back wings don't look right for Little Gull and the black hood rules out the kittiwakes and the black secondaries rule out both. Laughing Gull (and Franklin's) would show a much darker mantle - wing pattern is also wrong.

So: pale grey mantle, dark secondaries, white flask on the outer primaries, but with the outmost ones black. These add up to 1st-summer Bonaparte's Gull or Black-headed Gull. the bill looks a bit heavy for Bonaparte's, but I think that's a function of the softer focus on this bird (especially as magnified). A young Black-headed should show more black on the rear wing and the contrast of those two black notches on the forewing (the tips of the greater and median primary coverts) is much more typical of Bonaparte's too, so I think that's what you've got.

Hi Gthang,

I'd agree with Jason on Bonaparte's Gull, a one year old immature bird. As well as what Jason says, the first two greater primary coverts being black also indicates Bonaparte's; a Black-headed would have these white (see pointer on pic below).

Michael

Attachments

• gulls.jpg
    gulls.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 119
Wow! I never even suspected Bonaparte's Gull! My Sibley Guide says it's common locally on lakes, rivers, and oceans. Usually does not mix with other gulls. But looking at thehead, it appears to be more of an incomplete hood, but I shouldn't rule it out.

Thanks guys!

Thanks for the clarification, Michael. I've seen some quite atypical patterns on 1st-year Black-headed Gulls before now so didn't feel confident enough to state that the species never shows this pattern. Have no doubt you're right, though.

My dad is really thankful I have taken up this hobby, because if I didn't, I wouldn't have known where to look or even what to look for! My mom said, "How do you guys do this?"... because she couldn't believe I spotted the Bald Eagle so quickly.

gthang said:
Wow! I never even suspected Bonaparte's Gull! My Sibley Guide says it's common locally on lakes, rivers, and oceans. Usually does not mix with other gulls. But looking at thehead, it appears to be more of an incomplete hood, but I shouldn't rule it out.

Thanks guys!
gthang, the hood on 1st-summer Bonaparte's and Black-headed Gulls is usually incomplete.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back