• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss 8x56 dialyt classics (1 Viewer)

Hello everybody out there, perhaps somebody can help me,I bought a mint secondhand pair of 8x56 Dialyt classics last september and have been really pleased but during the cold snap in December while out all day and at a Red Kite roost in the evening I find them extremely stif and slow to focus.I also have 2 pairs of 10x40 Dialyts and 2 pair of Leica Trinovids and dont suffer with this problem. Any ideas anybody thanks Mark

Hello everybody out there, perhaps somebody can help me,I bought a mint secondhand pair of 8x56 Dialyt classics last september and have been really pleased but during the cold snap in December while out all day and at a Red Kite roost in the evening I find them extremely stif and slow to focus.I also have 2 pairs of 10x40 Dialyts and 2 pair of Leica Trinovids and dont suffer with this problem. Any ideas anybody thanks Mark

I have a pair of 7x42 and 10x40 BGATP binoculars and find that the 7x42(same focus design as the 8x56) is stiffer and slower to focus than the 10x40's, when it is cold. I wouldn't worry about your binoculars.

The focus on the 8x56 and 7x42 is at the oculars, so this will be significantly more stiff in the cold. Leica Trinovid is fully sealed and water proof, and the 10x40 dialyt focusses by movement of the objectives.
I happen to have my hands on a 7x42 classic at the moment, and while the focus is perfect at room temperature, I can imagine the fluid movement will be much stiffer in the cold.
To conclude, nearly all binoculars suffer from the extreme cold, even the fully sealed ones. There is not a 100% cold-proof binocular out there, but I have seen that Leica has always the best scores for focussing when coming out of a freezer.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back