• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Collared or Oriental Pratincole, Kazakhstan (Caspian) (1 Viewer)

vaswel

Photographs taken yesterday and today, NE Caspian Sea.

Pratincole with rather short tail, red underwings and no obvious white trailing edge to secundaries suggestive for Oriental Pratincole.

At least the left outer tail-feather looks damaged and trailing edge might be result of wear. Because of this I don't feel save ruling out Collared Pratincole yet.

Opinions?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 48
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 50
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 45
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 87
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 53
Thanks for the reply A.
I am familiar with the Dutch Birding article.
The bird was still around today and I was able to obtain some additional pictures.

The spread tail shows that the tips of both outer tailfeathers are broken/damaged, the explanation for the short tail. In the same picture there is visible contrast between the inner and outer web of the inner primaries and a small light trailing edge to the secondaries as well.

All indicating Collared Pratincole and the total of these features excluding Oriental IMO.

Very educative bird!

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 42
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back