• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pratincole in Tajikistan - Collared or Black-winged? (1 Viewer)

PhilSteiner

Tajikistan
I realize these photos provide very little to go on. I don't have any experience with either species. I can't make out the two distinguishing features of Collared - white on the trailing edge of the wings and chestnut underwing coverts. But the field guide stresses that those features can be hard to discern and as you can see, I didn't have fantastic views. This bird was giving a flight call like the second Collared Pratincole call in Merlin: single peeps. Listening to what Black-winged Pratincole flight calls on xeno-canto, it seems they mostly have a double-peep call, but I don't know if they always do. It seems that Collared Pratincoles sometimes have a single-peep call and sometimes a double-peep call. For what it's worth, we're in breeding range for Collared but Black-winged nest much further north, in Kazakhstan and Russia.

Photos taken today in Dushanbe.

Attachments

• DSCN9713 (2).JPG
    DSCN9713 (2).JPG
    94.9 KB · Views: 17
  • DSCN9714 (2).JPG
    DSCN9714 (2).JPG
    151.8 KB · Views: 32
  • DSCN9715 (2).JPG
    DSCN9715 (2).JPG
    137.8 KB · Views: 32
  • DSCN9716 (2).JPG
    DSCN9716 (2).JPG
    166.7 KB · Views: 32
  • DSCN9718 (2).JPG
    DSCN9718 (2).JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 17
  • DSCN9719 (2).JPG
    DSCN9719 (2).JPG
    267 KB · Views: 17
I realize these photos provide very little to go on. I don't have any experience with either species. I can't make out the two distinguishing features of Collared - white on the trailing edge of the wings and chestnut underwing coverts. But the field guide stresses that those features can be hard to discern and as you can see, I didn't have fantastic views. This bird was giving a flight call like the second Collared Pratincole call in Merlin: single peeps. Listening to what Black-winged Pratincole flight calls on xeno-canto, it seems they mostly have a double-peep call, but I don't know if they always do. It seems that Collared Pratincoles sometimes have a single-peep call and sometimes a double-peep call. For what it's worth, we're in breeding range for Collared but Black-winged nest much further north, in Kazakhstan and Russia.

Photos taken today in Dushanbe.
I think, as you suspected, the photos are not good enough to be definitive.

Plumage wise, the only clue that comes though on these is the length of the outer tail feathers - they seem long. That and most of the other pointers suggest that it is a Collared. I can vouch for the difficulty of spotting both the trailing edge and even the underwing colour especially in harsh light.

Timing may also be a clue, Collared seem to arrive earlier in Central Asia than Black-winged. Not sure if that is any use and I think we may be in the cross over period anyway.

I tried telling the difference on calls in Botswana, where both winter in flocks 00s strong. I have to admit I gave up as I couldn't find any consistency - but as the flocks were often mixed and trying to confirm which was which was a constant difficulty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back