• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Skua ID confirmation please. (2 Viewers)

Alastair Rae said:
[size=-1]Stercorarius parasiticus [/size][size=-1]Parasitic Jaeger (American) vs Arctic Skua (English).
Parasitic Skua seems like a compromise set to please birders in neither language.
[/size]
See, I told you I was going to look like an idiot with my South Polar Skua. Classic mistake I made, assuming that "skua" meant "skua". ;) It didn't even occur to me to look at jaeger, but the photo looked so similar to the SPSs we've had off the NA coast, I didn't look farther. I've already mentioned in another thread how I've got to stop trying to ID birds by photo -- I just suck at it! Henceforth, I shall lurk and learn. :)

godwit said:
Most juvenile Poms reported before mid-September are probably just fat juv. Arctics in my opinion.

Dave

You might like to think that, I couldn't possible comment.... :)

As a further pointer look at the shape of the central TF projection. Funny thing I didn't even consider Pom since it was a juv and in the Irish Sea now...

I saw a big juv knocking 7 bells out of a Cormorant a week ago!

Last edited:
tom mckinney said:
How exactly do you pronounce "jaeger"?
And for that matter "archipelago"?

OK, so you start like the English/American

yeah!

then second syllab

ger

like in "eager".

At least that's the pronounciation of the German word Jaeger ... or let's say pretty close to it.

Hope that helps,
Ingo

tom mckinney said:
How exactly do you pronounce "jaeger"?

And for that matter "archipelago"?

I assume it's borrowed from the German Jäger (hunter) so it's roughly
Yay-ger. It's one of those weird German bird names that the Germans don't actually use themselves anymore, like Lammergeier (or more correctly Lämmergeier).

Sorry, replied without reading Jörn and Ingo's posts above!
E

Ah! Cheers guys.

I once had a lovely German gravy that was pronounced "Yayger sauce", but maybe it was "Jaeger sauce" ( I hope not Parasitic Jaeger sauce)

tom mckinney said:
Ah! Cheers guys.

I once had a lovely German gravy that was pronounced "Yayger sauce", but maybe it was "Jaeger sauce" ( I hope not Parasitic Jaeger sauce)

Nope, we get so few skuas per year, there wouldn't be much to eat, no way to get a name for a dish ;).

Edward said:
I assume it's borrowed from the German Jäger (hunter) so it's roughly
Yay-ger. It's one of those weird German bird names that the Germans don't actually use themselves anymore, like Lammergeier (or more correctly Lämmergeier).

In my family, we use Lammergeier as a synonym without hesitation, even more often than the official term Bartgeier. I think Lammergeier is still a widely known term.

And it's really more
yeah-ger

The second y might lead to a wrong sound I think. But there are regional differences in Germany as how to pronounce a word like this ....
Ingo

Katy Penland said:
In the US, we pronounce it "yay-ger" as well.

Well, if you pronounce the "ay": as in "jay" or "May", it's not German, but hey, nobody said, you have to pronounce it the old way ;)

Ingo

Ingo said:
In my family, we use Lammergeier as a synonym without hesitation, even more often than the official term Bartgeier. I think Lammergeier is still a widely known term.

And it's really more
yeah-ger

The second y might lead to a wrong sound I think. But there are regional differences in Germany as how to pronounce a word like this ....
Ingo

It's good to hear that Lammergeier is still used in German, I've only read Bartgeier, but have never been in a part of the world where I'd hear a German birder talk about it! People who say Bearded Vulture in English should be shot, or hanged, or both.

Back on to Stercoraridae I was out birding with a German birder on Saturday and pointed out to him a Große Raubmöwe, he looked back at me blankly and said that he only ever called them Skua in German.

E

PS Ich sprech' Deutsch mit 'nem Ostholsteinschen Akzent, Ingo.

Ingo said:
Well, if you pronounce the "ay": as in "jay" or "May", it's not German, but hey, nobody said, you have to pronounce it the old way ;)

Ingo
We regularly mangle proper pronunciations, so I'm not surprised if this is just another instance. Lazuli bunting, at least in the US southwest, has been said "la'-zhew-lye" (the "a" in "la" as in apple) by nearly every birder I know, and it's absolutely wrong regardless of language. "Luh-zoo'-lee" as in lapis lazuli is how it should be said, I would think.

OT, but was there ever a consensus of how Sabine's gull should be pronounced? Again, US birders by and large say Sa'-bens" (again, the apple "a") but should it really be Suh-beens'?

Hi Ingo,

Na, da hat sich Schleswig-Holstein ja gefunden, ich bin aus Eutin...

And for Sabine´s Gull I´d say suhbeens
For Skua, I also use Große Raubmöwe;

But for the vulture I´d have to be shot, then... I hope you don´t have the gun ready, Edward ;)

[was there ever a consensus of how Sabine's gull should be pronounced? Again, US birders by and large say Sa'-bens" (again, the apple "a") but should it really be Suh-beens'?[/QUOTE]

I've always thought it was pronounced the French way: sa-beens (A as in 'cat') and as in the 'Rape of the Sabines'
And I always thought 'jaeger' was pronounced like the US pilot Yaeger (as in Chuck!)

David Bryant said:
And I always thought 'jaeger' was pronounced like the US pilot Yaeger (as in Chuck!)

Trouble is, I don't know how Mr. Yaeger is pronounced .... but trust me, it's

yeah-ger

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back