• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Request help please id Skua/Jaeger species Pomarine or Arctic (1 Viewer)

Earnest lad

Please may I request advice. On the recent Scilly Pelagic trip (Cornwall, UK) two photos of a bird (as well as some incredibly blurry/useless ones of it) were taken.
This bird was announced on board as "dark morph Arctic Skua".
As part of my learning curve, I would be grateful not only for confirmation of the species, but any tips as to the reason for being able to exclude any species.
Many thanks

Attachments

• sat 0406aaa.jpg
    sat 0406aaa.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 51
  • sat 0407asss.jpg
    sat 0407asss.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 50
Hello Earnest,
Your bird seems to show the right whitish blaze at the bill base (in the right position.and shape) for an Arctic Skua, a feature for this species.

But most important you are surely aware of: your mates have seen the bird in the field and could judge features from different angles, flight style, proportions ....

Hello Earnest,
Your bird seems to show the right whitish blaze at the bill base (in the right position.and shape) for an Arctic Skua, a feature for this species.

But most important you are surely aware of: your mates have seen the bird in the field and could judge features from different angles, flight style, proportions ....
Thank you so much Alexander. I appreciate the shipmates that were calling out the bird saw it before me and would have been more experienced than myself. Undoubtedly they must have seen more of it's features and behaviour thn I did. A photo only captures so much of a bird in an instant of time doesnt it. I must try to emulate proficient birders who, instead of just snapping away and looking at the photos later, observe more carefully than I do. Having said that your helpful tip about the white blaze at the base of the bill is great to know about. Thank you :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back