• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Price "Comfort Level" (1 Viewer)

AlanFrench

After looking at many binoculars, I bought a pair of Swarovski SLC 7x42s a few years ago (probably more years than I'd guess). They cost $800. I've been thinking I might someday get a high end pair of 8x32s with good close focus ability, but the makers keep making "improvements" and the prices of the high end binoculars keep climbing. Nikon just entered the high price league with the HDGs.

If I really wanted, I could spend almost $2000 on new binoculars, but such a price is well past my "comfort level." I think I'd have a hard time shelling out much over $800 on binoculars.

I'm just curious - do other folks have "comfort levels?"

Clear skies, Alan

I can't seem to be willing to spend much more than $500 for binoculars. More importantly, paying full retail for any optic makes me cranky.

What I really like to do is find deals on discontinued, demo, or even "refurbished" optics (though only if they retain the full, original warranty.) For example:

I bought a porro prism 10x42 B&L Discoverer from Cabela's that retailed for around $450 for only $180 when they were discontinued. I miss that binocular - should never have sold it.

I later bought a "refurbished" 10x43 Bushnell Elite that retailed for just under $1000 for only $500 from Eagle Optics. They still have these available (in both 8x and 10x.) www.eagleoptics.com

I found a roof prism 8x42 Bushnell Discoverer at Sportsman's Guide. It retailed for around $450 and I paid $200 for it. They still have a few of the 7x42 models for anyone who might be interested. www.sportsmansguide.com

Most recently I found an original, non-HD version of the 8x42 Leupold Golden Ring that also originally retailed for a little under $1000 on the Sportsman's Guide Outlet store on ebay. I paid $500. There are two more available from this same place right now.

My comfort price is $1400. I think I can get *any* high-end used, but in mint condition glass, on online auctions like Ebay.
That includes Swaro EL, Leica Ultravid, Zeiss FL.
I keep telling myself, it's foolish to spend that much on binoculars. A binocular is a binocular, what's the big deal?
But, buying them once every few years helps to keep the annual cost fairly low. I buy used, sell it for 90% of what I paid for it, do it again.

If you lower it to say $900, you can get almost any Leica Trinovid in great condition, and often enough, a NIB one.

If you really want to talk about value, that Soviet copy of Zeiss is a great buy. I think about $50 on flebay?

Last edited:
The most I ever spent for a Binocular was $849.00 for a Nikon 8 x 32 LX L not long after they came out. That was, and still is, just a bit over my comfort level of $800.00. They were certainly worth the price. Eagle optics is now selling them for $788.00. Down from $999.00 or so. http://www.eagleoptics.com/index.asp?pid=4013

I highly recommend them to you!

Cordially,
Bob

PS: Their close focus is listed at 8 feet, but mine seem to be closer to 6 feet.

Last edited:
The most I ever spent for a Binocular was $849.00 for a Nikon 8 x 32 LX L not long after they came out. That was, and still is, just a bit over my comfort level of $800.00. They were certainly worth the price. Eagle optics is now selling them for $788.00. Down from $999.00 or so. http://www.eagleoptics.com/index.asp?pid=4013

I highly recommend them to you!

Cordially,
Bob

PS: Their close focus is listed at 8 feet, but mine seem to be closer to 6 feet.

Bob,

Yes, I got an e-mail from Eagle Optics and am awfully tempted. The CFO, however, is providing resistance, and I also spent most of my slush fund on a new telescope not long ago. My comfort level there is a lot higher.

Clear skies, Alan

I can't seem to be willing to spend much more than $500 for binoculars. More importantly, paying full retail for any optic makes me cranky.

What I really like to do is find deals on discontinued, demo, or even "refurbished" optics (though only if they retain the full, original warranty.) For example:

Change that to around $1000 and I would just say "ditto". I do find it interesting though how perceived savings vs. performance can play such a big part in a binocular purchase. Case in point, my favorite 7x42 FLs were on sale at an online retailer for the very attractive price of $900. People jumped on them and they are now sold out. Those same folks probably wouldn't have spent the $900 for something like a Meopta Meostar or a Zeiss Conquest which regularly retail at/around that price point. Actual optical performance difference is marginal (IMO for most folks and for most practical applications) but the level of savings is what really attracted people. The feeling of "getting away with something" could possibly be more of the motivating factor.

Just something I was thinking about recently.

I won't spend more than $1000 and then only for something I truly judge is worth owning. Ofcourse, I may consider spending $2000 to buy two. ;)

Bob,

Yes, I got an e-mail from Eagle Optics and am awfully tempted. The CFO, however, is providing resistance, and I also spent most of my slush fund on a new telescope not long ago. My comfort level there is a lot higher.

Clear skies, Alan

Me too!

What telescope did you get? I haven't upgraded my TV-85 yet.

Bob

Let me see....

My wish list includes a pair of 10X Se's, and a pair of 8X LX (L's) but I refuse to pay close to retail.

Currently I own a pair of 10X35 EII's ($250 new from Christophers a few years back) and 8X43 Pentax DCF SP's ($350 new), AND a pair of Bausch & Lomb Discoverer/Fernglaser/jumelles 10X42 porros (paid less than $200).

I think i'm in my comfort zone.

Ray

Last edited:
I just bought a Swaro EL, NIB. OK price.

I probably won't buy another bino for a while. A year or so.

I will be looking for a Zeiss Victory, Swaro SLC, and an Ultravid, on Ebay in the $1200 range, used most likely.

Used market is where the deals are.

Last edited:
I just bought a Swaro EL, NIB. OK price.

I probably won't buy another bino for a while. A year or so.

I will be looking for a Zeiss Victory, Swaro SLC, and an Ultravid, on Ebay in the $1200 range, used most likely.

Used market is where the deals are.

I would feel uneasy spending $1200 on a pair of bins...But HEY, that's me!

I'm envious.

Ray

I would feel uneasy spending $1200 on a pair of bins...But HEY, that's me!

I'm envious.

Ray
Ray, I recently bought a pair of EII's the same as yours. Believe me, you don't need to spend 1200 dollars on bins, you already have top-class optics!:t:

It's not so bad considering it's my 2nd pair in my entire life. I will probably not ever have more than 2 pairs.

I also spent most of my slush fund on a new telescope not long ago. My comfort level there is a lot higher.

Mine too. There is a significant and quite noticeable difference between a budget scope and a high-end scope at higher magnifications, and I am comfortable plunking down cash if I can get something significantly better. But with the recent improvements in midpriced binoculars (like my Vortex Vipers for example), high-end binoculars offer only very slight optical improvements. I am just not comfortable paying more than $1000 more when about all I will be getting is a slightly prettier picture -- a difference that is hardly noticeable unless you are concentrating on optical qualities.

If I am going to plunk down more money, I need to have a better reason. One thing I have been keeping my eye on is the new Leupold switch power binoculars (7 to 12 power). If these are on a par optically with the other top Leupold binoculars, I think they would be very attractive. Being able to switch with the flick of a finger from 7 to 12 power is a real birding advantage, and one that might actually help me identify more birds as well as increase the pleasure I get out of birding.

My two cents,
Jim

Me too!

What telescope did you get? I haven't upgraded my TV-85 yet.

Bob

Bob,

An AP140. I wanted a 160, but didn't make the last run. On impulse, I signed up for the 140 just before the end of NEAF. I've been saving for quite a while, and had a bit more than I needed for a 140, but not yet enough for a 160, so I took the plunge. It might be my last scope purchase, but we'll see what happens if the chance to get a 160 comes along (but I can't keep the 140 too). My money may be safer than it would be in the market. Argh!

Clear skies, Alan

Bob,

An AP140. I wanted a 160, but didn't make the last run. On impulse, I signed up for the 140 just before the end of NEAF. I've been saving for quite a while, and had a bit more than I needed for a 140, but not yet enough for a 160, so I took the plunge. It might be my last scope purchase, but we'll see what happens if the chance to get a 160 comes along (but I can't keep the 140 too). My money may be safer than it would be in the market. Argh!

Clear skies, Alan

Alan,
I have to agree with your comment on the safety of your investment. AP's generally hold (and often increase) their value.:t:

Alas, they are both WAY over my comfort level. I have one son in college and another starting next year. A TV 101 OTA would be nice.;)

Good birding and good viewing,
Bob

Alan,
I have to agree with your comment on the safety of your investment. AP's generally hold (and often increase) their value.:t:

Alas, they are both WAY over my comfort level. I have one son in college and another starting next year. A TV 101 OTA would be nice.;)

Good birding and good viewing,
Bob

Bob,

College was long ago, the mortgage is paid off, and we - in most areas - have simple tastes, so it wasn't too bad saving the money up over the years. Oddly, part of that was that many items I used to buy often got over my "comfort level," which makes it easier to save for things I'm willing to buy.

Clear skies, Alan

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back