• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2nd Pair / Upgrade for Birder - Advise Needed (4 Viewers)

Their comment reads:

They (1.) experience the upgrade as "crazy" and "big" and (2.) talk about merging the budget of two binoculars to get one. Which tells me they expect the one binocular to be the "crazy" and "big" upgrade and potentially even carry the performance or value-contribution of two binoculars (hence merging the budget). This expectation may prove to be true or may not be true.

For the record, my own personal experience of high-end glass is limited to SW Habicht GA and my entry level hands-on experience includes celestron skymaster, kowa b2, and oberwerk deluxe. I was just articulating the thought structures as I saw them to help in making a choice.
Okay, thank you for sharing your thinking.

Get a copy of Holgers book (see info in other posts), he has a section on testing binoculars to look for different criteria.

Peter

Hi,

first of all, welcome to birdforum!

I would not buy two more pairs of bins unless the ZenRay 8x42 is unusable (and from a review on here, they are ok entry level bins). A $500 or $1000 8x32 pair is probably a good idea - the question is whether the user is going to wear glasses and how much ER is needed...

I would skip the 10x42 and get a scope instead... much more to be seen at 30x or more... even in the rainforest in Costa Rica but more so on the Arctic cruise.

Joachim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back