• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Raptors (and other tiny specks...) (1 Viewer)

Ruby

My day out yesterday started at 05:00 - picked up 3 pals and headed off to Norfolk, arriving in Lakenheath at 07:15 with Golden Oriole very much in mind...

A large group of people were stood by the first plantation, listening to a bird calling sporadically. Neither they nor we got a sighting so started to move along to the 2nd plantation, but paused to have a look around in the open ground between the two...

Just as well we did, since we were treated to excellent views of an pale adult male Marsh Harrier (I've seen what appears to be the same bird there before, so this may be his home-patch) and then one of our number spotted an Osprey approaching from the South.

The bird flew steadily towards us, passing more-or-less directly overhead before heading on. Fantastic views and a life-tick for me!!

Arriving at the 2nd plantation we could hear what appeared to be 2 or 3 birds calling quite steadily and 2 of our number managed excellent views of a perched male (not me sadly!) on 2 occasions. One of us had not had GO in the UK before, so that was very good.

Next stop 2 raptor watch points - Swanton Novers and Great Ryburgh...

Some nice birds (Honey Buzzard and Goshawk) had been seen at both sites earlier on but we didn't have such luck, but did get quite a few distant views of Common Buzzards, Kestrels and 2 Hobbys.

Most of the birds were a loooooooonnngggg way away - typical conversation between us would go something like this....

Someone (scanning with BINs) "I've got something"
Everyone Else "Where!!"
"Over there, just showing against the cloud"
"The black cloud?"
"No.... the grey one"
"The cloud that looks like a fish eating a pizza?"
"That's the one."
"I can't see anything.....wait.....what's that?? Blimey!! That's a long way away!!"
"What is it?"
"Dunno..."
"You keep it in the BINs and we'll try to get a scope on it..."
"Got it??"
"No..... wait... got it!!"
"WHat is it??"
"Dunno"
(...some time later...)
"I think it's a Buzzard"
"Yeah??"
"Probably"
"What kind??"
"Are you mad?? It's in Suffolk!!"
"Probably a Common then" ;)

PS. My new BINs proved just as effective as anybody else's at picking up distant specks - so that was good!!

After about 2 hours of this we decided to head up to the coast for a bit of light relief and went to Titchwell. Just as we were getting to the car, we saw a Dove-type thing which one of my knowledgable colleagues was able to id as a Turtle Dove, based upon its staccato wingbeats. The bird perched up obligingly and allowed great views through the scope - my 2nd life-tick of the day.

Our time at Titchwell was slightly surreal, as the highlight of the sightings book said 1,500 Common Scoter, seen on the Fresh Marsh. All I can say is that they must have been hiding behind a leaf, since we didn't see a single one, there or anywhere else!!

However..... We did see...

Excellent close views of 3 Garganey feeding openly right in front of one of the hides
Nine Little Gulls in a variety of plumages
Several Little Terns
A good selection of Waders, including a single Wood Sandpiper (3rd life-tick for me!!)
Very cute Avocet chicks

Plus...

Sammy the Black-winged (but hitherto unco-operative) Stilt.

He was showing at 70m or so, but then flew and settled bang in front of the Island hide, so we were able to get some really close views of him - my 4th life-tick of the day.

All back in the car and the long journey home (via a quick drive around the triangle - no joy) tired but very satisfied. A great day! :bounce:

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back