• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

UK Bird Reserve with highest No of BREEDING species? (1 Viewer)

Himalaya

Just wondered which UK reserve for birds or protected area has the most BREEDING bird species? I know there are different types of reserves ie RSPB, English Nature, WWT, SSSI....so all are included

Minsmere springs to mind first for me as well: beach, scrapes, reeds, scrub, heath, sand banks, deciduous woodland, (pines?), fields.

John

Hmm. Might take a trip there this summer I hope! Which other places have high numbers?

I'm not sure about other reserves but Minsmere is an excellent reserve. It is the best place in the UK to see Nightingale in my experience.
East Anglia as a whole is very good, with the Breck's & the North Norfolk coast I think it would be very dificult to beat.

Good luck where ever you go, cheers, Neil.

Titchwell RSPB can be a bit grockly but has a great selection of birds from arable fields and scrub willow, to reedbed, to fresh, brackish and saltmarsh as well as a fine beach and sea. Probably my favourite RSPB reserve albeit you can see more at Minsmere.

And you can never write off Cley either.

Lakenheath has a couple of cracking specialities in breeding Golden Oriole and Common Crane and is just up the road from the NWT reserve at Weeting Heath which is a top site for seeing Stone Curlew and Stoat.

Minsmere - Lakenheath - Weeting - North Norfolk coastal reserves: a long weekend or a leisurely week and loads and loads of birds and animals.

John

I'd have thought a few other reserves, e.g Arne, Leighton Moss and Abernethy Forest would run them close, although I have to say Minsmere probably does have highest numbers.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back