• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kumlein's or Iceland Gull? (1 Viewer)

andy hood

Hornsea Mere East Yorks 8/2/12

IcelandGull003edited.jpg

IcelandGull005edited.jpg

B :)Tricky ,ain't they.

First .Looking at the mantle and scapulars,combined with pale body feathers and dark tipped,pale bill I would age this as late second winter.

Glaucoides would normally have black ring with pale tip to bill,whereas Kumlien,s tends to have all dark tip to bill.The pale eye is unusual for Kumlien,s but does happen.
The primaries are noticeably dark with white edging on the photo of the bid at rest.The one in flight shows a markedly dark tail end compared to the rest of the plumage .Glaucoides should be pretty uniform in colour all over.
For me you've got a good Kumlien,s there.

You may have seen my postings a week or to ago with the same problem,except mine was a third winter bird with much paler brown on the primaries,and even then people are saying Kumlien's .:t:

Hi

I would not call this gull anything other than an Iceland Gull. All the primaries are uniform dark - so it lacks the typical contrast btw inner and outer primaries.

Furhtermore it does not show any dark tips on the primaries, which a dark Kumlien's Gull typically has. So it does not have the diagnostic J-shape.

I've written a bit about these dark broniwsh birds here: http://birdingfaroes.wordpress.com/2012/02/01/brownies/

Best regards,

Silas

Yes, that would be another Iceland Gull ssp. glaucoides - one of the so called brownies.

Just talked to a member of the irish rc - and he agrees that it is one of those Iceland Gulls with shading on the primaries.

Silas

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back