• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gull Trouble in Comox-Strathcona, British Columbia Feb 24 (1 Viewer)

chipster454

I saw a bunch of gulls this weekend. Mostly Glaucous-Winged Gulls, and Short-Billed Gulls. There were at least 2 California Gulls, and then this guy. It looks like a Herring Gull to me? Is anyone able to confirm that for me?

Attachments

• Herring Gull (Comox Airport).JPG
    Herring Gull (Comox Airport).JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 33
Hi. I'm stuck between: Thayer's gull, and a Herring (Larus argentatus). Maybe the grey is slightly too dark for Thayer's?......Hopefully, the gull experts will be along soon, to help you out!

I agree with an Olympic Gull. It looks like it has mostly Western Gull genes, but the mantle is pale enough and the head smudgy enough to suggest it has some Glaucous-winged genes too. Hybrids like this are very common in that area.

Thanks for the replies. I do struggle with gulls, and I completely forgot about hybrids. I'm also new to the area, so that wasn't helping me any. I did a google search, and I would agree with Olympic Gull.

Thanks for the replies. I do struggle with gulls, and I completely forgot about hybrids. I'm also new to the area, so that wasn't helping me any. I did a google search, and I would agree with Olympic Gull.
A high percentage of the "Glaucous-winged" Gulls on Vancouver Island have at least some Western Gull genes so you'll get used to the range of variations and learn to be a bit hesitant on the pure "Glaucous-winged" IDs :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back