• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Esthwaite Ospreys 2016 (1 Viewer)

Mickr

Esthwaite has 2 pairs of Osprey this year and I think it's one of the most under-estimated places to see Osprey. My best sightings are usually at this lake every year and I usually also go to some of the better publicised lakes and reservoirs.

It is well worth a visit and the facilities are quite good.

One of the pair are showing an interest in a nest they used 3 years ago and it's right on the lake. This nest was predated 3 years ago and the chicks were taken by a heron so they will hopefully not use it.

This nest is too close to the lake and people are going much closer than they should in the boats, one idiot was under the nest tree and both birds left the nest. If this happens when they have eggs the eggs might chill and may fail and that would be a real shame.

If you go to Esthwaite and use the boats, keep a good distance from the nest.

Esthwaite has 2 pairs of Osprey this year and I think it's one of the most under-estimated places to see Osprey. My best sightings are usually at this lake every year and I usually also go to some of the better publicised lakes and reservoirs.

It is well worth a visit and the facilities are quite good.

One of the pair are showing an interest in a nest they used 3 years ago and it's right on the lake. This nest was predated 3 years ago and the chicks were taken by a heron so they will hopefully not use it.

This nest is too close to the lake and people are going much closer than they should in the boats, one idiot was under the nest tree and both birds left the nest. If this happens when they have eggs the eggs might chill and may fail and that would be a real shame.

If you go to Esthwaite and use the boats, keep a good distance from the nest.
There are some idiots about!
Is the nest monitored?
Do you know why they were getting that close?Do they hire boats out on the lake or are the boats privately owned.
Best not to publicise these sort of places-it often attracts a few foolish people.
I stopped advertising some local sites which attract rarer birds after witnessing two separate photographers disturbing birds with newly fledged young.
I seem to recall something similar happened at another Cumbrian Osprey site when photographers were getting as close as they could to get that precious photo.

Last edited:
Is the nest monitored?
Do you know why they were getting that close?Do they hire boats out on the lake or are the boats privately owned.
Best not to publicise these sort of places-it often attracts a few foolish people.
I stopped advertising some local sites which attract rarer birds after witnessing two separate photographers disturbing birds with newly fledged young.
I seem to recall something similar happened at another Cumbrian Osprey site when photographers were getting as close as they could to get that precious photo.

I think they advertise it as "Osprey Safari" , the owners of the lake looking to make the most of the opportunity, perhaps some clearer guidelines should be given when hiring the boats out.

Is the nest monitored?

It's a privately owned fishing lake, which is regularly stocked with fish and why the ospreys like it so much. You can hire boats to fish or just to take out on the lake and hopefully see the ospreys. I had some brilliantly views of one bird fishing and when i hired the boat the bloke in the shop was very clear of telling us which areas we weren't to get too close to, the nest on the lake side was very obvious and you can get a good view from a good distance away but some people just help themselves. Although they do have a website called Osprey Safari it isnt advertised much at all.

Thanks
I sent them a polite email-I will let you know what happens.
If you are desperate to see an Osprey maybe Foulshaw Moss is a good bet.
The site is well monitored.The views are distant so it will not suit the photographers who are so desperate for a close up shot.
I remember someone complaining the nest was too far away with no possibility of getting closer-not understanding this was precisely why the Ospreys are doing so well here!

Here is a copy of the reply from Esthwaite

Yes we tell everyone that goes onto the lake, including fisherman to keep well away from the platform nest. Those bird’s have another nest that they successfully used last year. They have built both nest sites up, and this same behaviour was observed last year and they decided they would revert to the other nest. I am hoping the bird’s do just that as the other nest site is off the beaten track!
I will inform the owner of the business, Nigel Woodhouse about your concern, but like i say we have fingers crossed that they will not use this site apart from a feeding platform!
Thank you very much for your concern, it has been noted!

Is the nest monitored?

I don't know if the nest is monitored, it probably is.

I can only guess that they were getting too close out of ignorance, or more likely thinking they could do anything they wanted to. The boat was hired but they were forewarned not to go near the nest which is clear to see so not telling them where it is doesn't help as Stevie Wonder would notice it.

It's well publicised and the more knowledgeable people that go the better for the birds. The people who were going too close were being told to get away from the nest, photographers were going nuts and went to see the lad who looks after the boats and he said that he'd gone nuts with people.

The photographers were not the problem, they were over 1km away from the nest, I've measured it on a map. They were not a problem as the Ospreys were flying quite a distance to fly over where the photographers were standing.

I think it's safe to say that there are selfish ignorant idiots involved in most groups, they are not a reflection of their shared interest, more a sad reflection of what they are like as individuals.

I'm glad these clowns got a b##locking I'm sure the owners of the Lake would be furious if this venture was scuppered by this kind of behaviour.

I think it's safe to say that there are selfish ignorant idiots involved in most groups, they are not a reflection of their shared interest, more a sad reflection of what they are like as individuals.

I'm glad these clowns got a b##locking I'm sure the owners of the Lake would be furious if this venture was scuppered by this kind of behaviour.

The pleasing thing for me was seeing people who were not prepared to just stand by and watch it. The attached photograph will tell you everything you need to know about those concerned. It appeared that they were genuinely ignorant of the potential harm that they could have caused and they were moved on by somebody else in a boat who clearly understood the potential for their actions to go wrong.

I hope this doesn't come across as arrogance, we all need to educate people who have the best intentions.

Attachments

• Osprey Disturbance.jpg
    Osprey Disturbance.jpg
    870.7 KB · Views: 371
The pleasing thing for me was seeing people who were not prepared to just stand by and watch it. The attached photograph will tell you everything you need to know about those concerned. It appeared that they were genuinely ignorant of the potential harm that they could have caused and they were moved on by somebody else in a boat who clearly understood the potential for their actions to go wrong.

I hope this doesn't come across as arrogance, we all need to educate people who have the best intentions.

For the love of God........

There will always be the smart a***es who think rules do not mean them,maybe there should be a shooting season for them.This happened locally at a L.E.Owl roost with one clown in full cammo gear was crawling through the scrub to get a "better" shot,he was sort of shown the error of his ways by the regulars.

As I said above - to knowingly disturb a protected bird at its nest is a criminal offence - get the local Police involved before its too late.

There will always be the smart a***es who think rules do not mean them,maybe there should be a shooting season for them.This happened locally at a L.E.Owl roost with one clown in full cammo gear was crawling through the scrub to get a "better" shot,he was sort of shown the error of his ways by the regulars.[/QUOTE

What is wrong with these idiots!I get tired hearing these stories year after year.

As I said above - to knowingly disturb a protected bird at its nest is a criminal offence - get the local Police involved before its too late.
I wonder if this behavior has been pointed out the the local W.C.O.,surely he (or she) should be aware of it. Mind if it is anything like round our patch W.C.O.s almost have to do wildlife matters in their own time,just shows the importance the powers that be put on these matters.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back