• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon 7x42 EDG I - Refurb (1 Viewer)

Where did you get the refurb EDG?

Hi Horukuru,

This thread is a continuation of a discussion in the Binocular Bargains thread. I found a listing on ebay from Cameta Camera in NY. They had 10 refurb EDG 7x42's for $800 each. Cycleguy, PhilR and I all ordered one.

Mark

Hi Horukuru,

This thread is a continuation of a discussion in the Binocular Bargains thread. I found a listing on ebay from Cameta Camera in NY. They had 10 refurb EDG 7x42's for $800 each. Cycleguy, PhilR and I all ordered one.

Mark

Yup -- I ordered one too. Sadly, it's diopter mechanism was faulty, and I sent it back to the seller. I thought about sending it to Nikon to get it fixed, but I just decided to say the heck with it.

I just lucked into a Swaro 7x42, so I'm not sad anymore.... :t:

The 800 lb. gorilla that gave me pause in buying a refurb 7x42 EDG I in the past (@ $1,300, which was the best price on eBay at the time) was what happens on Day 91 when the diopter goes klablooe or the focus knob comes loose or something else should go awry? How much will it cost to fix?

With an $800 initial investment, you can pay $500 for repairs and still make out like a bandit compared to buying a new one, but not so much if you paid $1,3000. For those who paid $800, repair costs shouldn't be that big an issue, but I'm glad the diopter problem was found right away.

Of more concern is what happens if Nikon can't fix the problem? Will it replace the unit with an EDG II the way it has before, or are you stuck with a broken unit? From my reading of the refurb warranty, you'd be left holding the "bag."

So I guess it comes down to how much risk you are willing to take to save a considerable amount of money by buying a Nikon refurb. Hopefully, no-one who purchased an EDG I refurb will ever have to find out what happens in that worst case scenario.

Someone suggested that Nikon can sell the EDG refurbs for $800 because of the short warranty. No doubt that's part of it, because on Day 91, they are free and clear of responsibility for repairs. But would any EDG I really need $1,300 in repairs (that is, the full price of a new EDG II, with warranty)? Would all of them? No, of course, not.

This suggests to me that the mark-up on the Nikon EDG is significant, and probably also on the HT, UV, and SV EL. While alphas do a good number of sales worldwide, particularly Swaro because of its dominance in the hunting market, they don't sell by the truckload like Nikon Monarchs or Bushnell Trophies (hence why Zeiss is trying to tap in that market segment with the Terra ED).

So alpha companies need to make more money per unit and hence a bigger mark-up. Perhaps our economics professor can shed some light on that.

Anyway, if you got 'em, smoke 'em! (just do it outside, please).

<B>

Yup -- I ordered one too. Sadly, it's diopter mechanism was faulty, and I sent it back to the seller. I thought about sending it to Nikon to get it fixed, but I just decided to say the heck with it.

I just lucked into a Swaro 7x42, so I'm not sad anymore.... :t:

Phil,

Sorry to hear your EDG didn't work out. Two of us still have our fingers crossed.

Sounds like the retailer was good on their return policy.

I've been using mine daily out in the back yard. All my neighbors think i am spying on them. They don't realize someone can be a bino nut.

After three days my focus wheel developed a hair of freeplay. If you change directions quickly, you can find it. If you go slow, it is hard to notice. Very minor and not really an issue for the reduced price.

CG

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back