• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham Birding (12 Viewers)

British Dragonfly Society Atlas

If any member would like to pass on dragonfly details for the British Dragonfly Atlas 2008-20012 i will collate records and send them of to the recorder for our area (Durham). Details to include are date, grid ref, site and species with numbers and photographs if you are willing to send.

John.

British Dragonfly Society Atlas

If any member would like to pass on dragonfly details for the British Dragonfly Atlas 2008-20012 i will collate records and send them of to the recorder for our area (Durham). Details to include are date, grid ref, site and species with numbers and photographs if you are willing to send.

John.

I've got a good few sightings to send in entered on an XL speadsheet. It will be mid-month before I can send them in though.

Seaton Common this evening - pretty wet and miserable. Only one SEO seen briefly in flight - mostly it was sat huddled on a fence post. The other one was likely doing the same.

Kestrel x5 didn't seem bothered as they continued hunting in the downpour. Curlew 50+ and at least one Whimbrel. Grey Partridge x3. Decent sized flock of Golden Plover 100+ hanging around with Lapwing c.40. Something kept putting them up but I couldn't see what it was.

Attachments

• IMG_6635ao.JPG
    IMG_6635ao.JPG
    22.3 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_6647ao.JPG
    IMG_6647ao.JPG
    179.7 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_6657ao.JPG
    IMG_6657ao.JPG
    200.6 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_6665ao.JPG
    IMG_6665ao.JPG
    31 KB · Views: 70
::
Well , thats the first charva birders I've ever seen.

I've been having you on actually. I did see a birder but I've seen him regularly there and he's miserable as sin so I didn't inform him of the wryneck. I won't describe him in case he reads this and that wouldn't be a nice thing to read.

Charva.... One does not think so old chap!

The person you did so well to restrain from telling about the Wryneck probably was me as iam a truely miserable person, but well done on biting your lip, I dont know many bird people who could do that....

:clap::clap::clap:

::

Charva.... One does not think so old chap!

The person you did so well to restrain from telling about the Wryneck probably was me as iam a truely miserable person, but well done on biting your lip, I dont know many bird people who could do that....

:clap::clap::clap:

Bustard, you'll just have to stop wearing that tracky top when you go birdin m8... though cider & tabs are fine by me;)
Anyway, bet you've got more to smile about than some this week:t: - so next time Jump in the river see's you, he'll probably not recognise your smiley face & perhaps let you in on his latest finds :-O

I can see a pattern developing in this localized deluge of (...well 2 or 3) Wrynecks....
Theres clearly a development of a new Wilsons Triangle, certainly a triangle - just a queer shaped one.

But in all seriousness, it makes you think if theres been a un-noticed local breeding attempt ?
We know someone who has Wryneck nest boxes up the dale.... as yet unused - there have been sporadic reports of birds up there over the past few years - but perhaps its worth a try for next year..... (well we all play the Lottery dont we ? ;) )

Houghton area Local Patch

Couple of bits & bobs in this morning:-

Greenshank, Kingfisher & Water Rail at the Bogs (CW)
cream crown Marsh Harrier nr Pittington (DCh)

SE

RSPB Saltholme - opening has been delayed again.

Just for info I understand the 'partial' opening (of the Visitor Centre only as it turns out) has been put back from November to sometime in January.

Apparently it can't be delayed much more than that as the grand full offical opening is in May 2009!

Quite possibly the two dates will coincide ;)

No update on the RSPB Saltholme Blog yet.

Marsh Harrier spiraled to gain height, before leaving to S.East heading towards Haswell / Shotton Coll'y area just before midday.
Also at Elemore, 5Swift, vis-mig of Swallows & House Martins, 9Stock Dove, 7+Kestrel, 3Sparrowhawk, Tawny owl calling, 4Jay, 1Heron, 1Snipe, 7Siskin, 1Red-legged Partridge.
Roe doe & 2 young foraging amongst the stubbles.

regular roadside Little Owl at Philadelphia this morning.

RSPB Saltholme - opening has been delayed again.

Its going to be a close run thing between Salthome opening and our Website getting back on at this rate......:smoke:

Ps Mr Evans, i dont think the local Pheasant shoot would be happy if they saw what the Marsh Harrier was eating:-O

Its going to be a close run thing between Salthome opening and our Website getting back on at this rate......:smoke:

Ps Mr Evans, i dont think the local Pheasant shoot would be happy if they saw what the Marsh Harrier was eating:-O

Maybe we've swapped servers with TBC....:eek!: as they were havn a few troubles too... OR.... quite possibly Foghorn Kinghorns put too much pressure on the system :-O
Maybe it crashed because someone tried to upload "DBC - aims & objectives":cat:

Cracking bird that Harrier:t:
Thnx for the msg: CW & i ot a good look at it & after referring to Collins field guide (the book, not the man !) it seems it was a juvenile female (very dark tail, gold line on middle of upperwings, no colour on front of wing)
ps. do you get round that way often.......;)
We also had several small flocks of Golden Plovers going over south.

-------------------------

Hetton Lyons
4 Black tailed Godwits through south & 2 Kingfishers on site.

Its going to be a close run thing between Salthome opening and our Website getting back on at this rate......:smoke:...

The hosting company for the DBC website is being changed, so it may be a couple more days before it's back available. Unfortunately the people who are trying to get it up and running again also have jobs - they're trying their best, honest.

With the lack of websites, news pages and forums, some Durham birders are going to be forced into actually going out birding this weekend, instead of 'virtual birding' in front of their computer screens. :eek!:
You never know, there may even be a migrant or two on the coast this weekend, or maybe a couple of seabirds passing.

... Maybe it crashed because someone tried to upload "DBC - aims & objectives":cat:

Unfortunately the DBC committee available manpower is at a low ebb, and much of the time of the more active committee members is taken up with writing glossy publications for members, trying to have a say in important conservation projects around the county (including negotiating grants for a nice comfortable hide for Bish Midd), liaising in joint RSPB/Natural England projects in Durham, providing data for planned developments etc etc etc. If anyone wants to contribute instead of take the p**s, the DBC chairman will be more than happy to accomodate.

Last edited:
Bishop Middleham area for an hour during lunch break i really do need it with the reports i have to do at present (really)

Castle Lake

1 Little Egret
3 Grey Heron
26 Little Grebe
28 Gadwall
12 Mallard
6 Tufted Duck
38 Teal
20 Wigeon
22 Shoveler
3 Mute Swan
1 Great C Grebe
3 Cormorant
46 Coot
6 Moorhen
1 Common Tern
42 Snipe
3 Greenshank
1 Green Sandpiper
40 Lapwing
300 Greylag Goose
48 Swallow
10 Sand martin
50 House Martin
1 Grey Wagtail
2 Yellow Wagtails over
200 Starling
2 Sparrowhawk
1 Kestrel
60 Linnet
30 Goldfinch
2 Lesser Black B Gulls
20 Black headed Gulls
10 Meadow Pipits
2 Yellowhammers
12 Stock Dove

Alans Pools

4 Greenshank
1 Spotted Redshank
2 Curlew
3 Coot
1 Mute Swan

A1 Flashes

5 Black Tailed Godwit
1 Greenshank
6 Ruff
6 Dunlin
500 Lapwing
2 Grey Heron
10 Mallard
100 Starling

Reported to me this afternoon was an Osprey over Hedleyhope fell at 09.00hrs and an amazing 3 Ospreys together at Burnhope Reservoir in upper Weardale this afternoon.

coast

we had a walk from marsden to trow (and back) and we were well pleased
about 200 goldies no scatch that goldfinches:-O
kesys 2
stonechats 2
skylark 6
and way back picked up 3wheatears and then a female black redstart not far from last years bird at frenchmans bay but then lost it but picked it up again at frenchmans on the same rock as had seen last years bird on and was wondering if its the same bird:t:

Attachments

• 4th sept08 022.jpg
    4th sept08 022.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 66
  • 4th sept08 047.jpg
    4th sept08 047.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 104
  • 4th sept08 011.jpg
    4th sept08 011.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 95

Maybe we've swapped servers with TBC....:eek!: as they were havn a few troubles too... OR.... quite possibly Foghorn Kinghorns put too much pressure on the system :-O

I say, I say, I do say, watch that lip boy.:-O
I know I submit a lot on the forum but I enjoy it, however I should get out in the field more. But Foghorn Kinghorn is just fine, I say he's just fine.;)

Oh and good work with the Marsh Harrier, there great to watch.|:D|

some sort of grebe i think ots only had my bins:-C
anyone want a go at an ID:t:

Attachments

• 4th sept08 016.jpg
    4th sept08 016.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 143
  • 4th sept08 017.jpg
    4th sept08 017.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 118
  • 4th sept08 018.jpg
    4th sept08 018.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 127
.........<snip>.........
Unfortunately the DBC committee available manpower is at a low ebb, and much of the time of the more active committee members is taken up with writing glossy publications for members, trying to have a say in important conservation projects around the county (including negotiating grants for a nice comfortable hide for Bish Midd), liaising in joint RSPB/Natural England projects in Durham, providing data for planned developments etc etc etc. If anyone wants to contribute instead of take the p**s, the DBC chairman will be more than happy to accomodate.

You sound full of angst & frustration Mark..? dont worry the weekend will soon be here:smoke:
Anyway, Ive got a good idea for DBC !
Why dont you all have an "Aims & Objectives Workshop"... you know it mite pull in a big crowd of 6 or maybe 7.....
Without clear aims & objectives , some organizations have been known to bob about without purpose or direction......:t:

Meanwhile back on the Local Patch......
Some good bits & bobs moving through Houghton & area
RM's at 5pm
5 juv Black Tailed Godwit
it or another cream crown Marsh Harrier through south
1 Green Sandpiper
1 Yellow Wagtail
34 Common Snipe
1 Kingfisher
2 Wigeon
finish this later........unless Mr Serious blows a gasket;)

Hetton Boggs today:

Willow, Great, Blue and Coal Tits, magpie, wood pigeon, pheasant, coot, moorehen, mallard,dunnock and 3 visits from the kingfisher.
Flyover of sphawk and GS Woodpecker.

Also a few common darters, ruddy darters and 1 female Southern Hawker.

Attachments

• _MG_4292.jpg
    _MG_4292.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 76
  • _MG_4303.jpg
    _MG_4303.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 66
  • _MG_4388.jpg
    _MG_4388.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 54
  • _MG_4433.jpg
    _MG_4433.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 51
  • _MG_4443.jpg
    _MG_4443.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 62
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back