• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anthus trivialis/pratensis, Bulgaria (1 Viewer)

Birders Reports

Hello to all,

Please, can you help us with the ID of this pipit?
Photo is from these days, taken in Bulgaria.
Pro-pratensis feature is more "kind" face appearance, including pale area in front of eye and the slimmer bill. Maybe and heavier flank streaking.
Pro-trivialis feature is patterned ear-coverts with light and dark spot there. And maybe the pinkish base of lower mandible.
Thank you!

Attachments

• anthus_sp.jpg
    anthus_sp.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 90
Are you 100% happy that Olive-backed can be safely eliminated Lou?
How common on mainland Europe are Tree Pipits with heavy flank streaking, relatively small bills and this late into October?

that's why i asked about the upperparts, steve. but from what i can see it gives me much more the impression of a tree pipit. that said: no, i cannot 100% a hodgsoni from this pic ;)

that's why i asked about the upperparts, steve. but from what i can see it gives me much more the impression of a tree pipit. that said: no, i cannot 100% a hodgsoni from this pic ;)

Agree with your reservations re a definite ID here. It does perhaps convey a more Tree Pipit-like impression in this one photo, but I wonder how much of this is due to the white balance of the image giving it a more yellow/golden hue?

... but I wonder how much of this is due to the white balance of the image giving it a more yellow/golden hue?

I've edited the photo to get the best colour balance I'd expect for the birch bark and autumn leaves. Does that affect thoughts about the bird?

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 58
i get more and more confident it is a tree pipit. i'd expect a longer and two-toned supercillium in olive-backed, dark ear spot more contrasting, facial markings, breast colour (uniform in this bird) and even flank streaking acceptable.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back