• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which 8x32: Victory FL or New Conquest HD ? (1 Viewer)

I know the spec for the 8x32 FL is 6 or 6.5 feet, but for me it is comfortable down to 5 feet. Spec for the Conquest is just under 5 feet. How close, in practice, can you go with the Conquest?

--AP

Hi Alex

I can get down to 4ft 10" with my unit and my eyes. Younger eyes might manage a bit closer.

Lee

Everything I read about the new Conquest HD is positive. These binos seem to be a real bang for the buck. As well with SF series I really like the design of these models. When I look at pictures of the eyepieces the eye lenses seem to be pretty large and not much recessed. I seriously consider the 8x42 option. Similar length as Swarovski SLC New 7x42 but 200g lighter, if I become satisfied with the view and it works good with eyeglasses on it will replace the Swaro.

The Zeiss Conquest HD 8x42 does have a narrower fov than your Swaro SLC Neu 7x42, Swed, and that may be worth considering.

Having owned the Zeiss Conquest HD both in 8x32 and in 8x42, of the two, for me, the Conquest HD 8x32 was, and is, the better binocular with a sharper centre field. The Conquest HD 8x42 didn't make it, but your view may be different.

Best wishes,

The Zeiss Conquest HD 8x42 does have a narrower fov than your Swaro SLC Neu 7x42, Swed, and that may be worth considering.

Having owned the Zeiss Conquest HD both in 8x32 and in 8x42, of the two, for me, the Conquest HD 8x32 was, and is, the better binocular with a sharper centre field. The Conquest HD 8x42 didn't make it, but your view may be different.

Best wishes,

Thanks Samandag!

Yes, while the TFOV is slightly narrower the AFOV is slightly wider.
Swarovski SLC 7x42 is a great binocular with a very flat field and very good edge performance. I guess that Conquest does not compete when it comes to edge sharpness, but that it's sharper on-axis than Swaro SLC.
I think Conquest 8x42 has better eye relief than 8x32, also it's brighter in low light conditions, so therefore the 8x42 is more attractive for me, apart from brighter image in low light conditions.
I read review of Conquest 8x42 model and it received high ratings so I am pretty sure I will be satisfied with the optical performance.

I think Conquest 8x42 has better eye relief than 8x32

This is true and you can simply obtain longer eye relief on the Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32 by fitting a pair of eyecups from the 8x42.

I found the ER on the Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32 to be too short and finnicky for me when used without glasses ; I had a couple of sets of replacement eyecups from Zeiss, one lower even than the factory originals and a second pair mismatched. They've gone in the spares box and I just swopped over the 8x32s with an 8x42 set (which are longer when fully extended).

That and a replacement heavy duty strap and some well fitting aftermarket objective lens covers and all good to go. In fact I used them at dusk this evening with some very enjoyable views despite the nagging southeasterly.

The weight of the Swaro does bring it a nice balance, and ageing eyes after sunset may not appreciate the extra available light, I'm not sure if it would be a swop for me but I would be interested in your view.

Best wishes,

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back