• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

hopfully I am all set now (1 Viewer)

rainbow stalker

In the past couple of weeks I have demo'd and done lots of homework to come to a decision on which bioculars I wanted and for what purpose.

I had demo'd the following: Nikon Trailblazer 10x50 nice bino's but could not bond with them.

Leupold cascades 10x42 great bino's, but I just got the feeling that they were not for me. Close very close.

Steiner Merlin these were one nice pair of bino's the look, the feel, very nice. They were not bright enough for me at dawn and dusk. Also the FOV was not for me.

Finally, I setteled on a Nikon Monarch in 8x42. they just seem to be what my eyes prefer. Very bright, FOV good. Dawn and dusk now is lit up like I have never seen with any other bino's. With the money I saved bying this set, I picked up a pir of Nikon Sportsters. They can be my beaters, and for any use when I don't get out the Monarch's. The little sportsters arn't a bad bino for the price and being compact

Most of my bino uses are for the following: Hunting of course, watching the birds and other wildlife in the yard, and for any other thing that I can use them for. I guess you could say for all around. But the Monarch's are great and we have bonded.

Congrats.

We have many people come here and report they want 50mm and is that OK and I just got them already. ;)

rainbow

Welcome. The Monarchs will give you decent service. They were where I went when I upgraded to a decent roof when they first came out. They are spares or loaners now.

I have one simple question. The Merlin has a bit wider field of view than the Monarch. What about the Merlin fov was not for you? The Monarch is on the absolute verge of too narrow for me. So I'm simply curious here.

Well there was a reason why the Monarch was the best selling mid-priced roof for alot of years...and it wasn't just the Nikon name and marketing.

The back up bin though...you got the Sportstar compacts right? There are sportstars and sporters. The latter was discontinued and renamed the Buckmaster a few years back. The configuration (8x25, 8x36) would be the easiest way to determine which you have.

In the past couple of weeks I have demo'd and done lots of homework to come to a decision on which bioculars I wanted and for what purpose.

I had demo'd the following: Nikon Trailblazer 10x50 nice bino's but could not bond with them.

Leupold cascades 10x42 great bino's, but I just got the feeling that they were not for me. Close very close.

Steiner Merlin these were one nice pair of bino's the look, the feel, very nice. They were not bright enough for me at dawn and dusk. Also the FOV was not for me.

Finally, I setteled on a Nikon Monarch in 8x42. they just seem to be what my eyes prefer. Very bright, FOV good. Dawn and dusk now is lit up like I have never seen with any other bino's. With the money I saved bying this set, I picked up a pir of Nikon Sportsters. They can be my beaters, and for any use when I don't get out the Monarch's. The little sportsters arn't a bad bino for the price and being compact

Most of my bino uses are for the following: Hunting of course, watching the birds and other wildlife in the yard, and for any other thing that I can use them for. I guess you could say for all around. But the Monarch's are great and we have bonded.

Just don't use any of the Alphas or the Zen Ray ED's for any length of time.They will spoil you and you will find the Monarch's dull and lifeless when you try them again! Just a warning! The Zen Rays aren't much more but they are way better especially in contrast and lack of CA.

Dennis

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back