• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon EF 100-400 L lens (1 Viewer)

cristinablades

Hi

I am currently considering this lens as a starting point into bird photography. It would be used with a Canon EOS7D.

My question is - can anyone tell me from what sort of distance would I be able to photograph say a Robin (UK) to achieve a frame filling shot at 400mm?

My apologies if this has been covered elsewhere.

Thank you in advance

Cristina

Last edited:
...so the chart tells me that when using the 400mm lens I should be within 5m of a small bird ideally, for best results...

Many thanks for your reply and info!

This is a Robin from approx 2 metres away using the 100-400 on a 7d. I have cropped it a tiny bit, and I mean a tiny bit. It is virtually straight from camera in all aspects apart from some sharpening.
It was taken by my 13 year old niece a few months ago. You can still get sharp shots from 5 metres or so, but, for bird photography the secret is to be close close close.
I hope this answers your question.....
Ian

Attachments

• Maddies Robin F.jpg
    Maddies Robin F.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 164
Cristina,this lens has IS,therefore you should be able to take very sharp shots.so,you can do a 100% Crop in your editing prog.just hit the zoom button twice(magnifying glass in the tool bar),and if your shot is sharp,you will have a super sharp magnified shotl.But your shot must be sharp,no hint of movement .This lens was my 1st birding lens,used with the Canon 300D,a good lens,but I changed it for the humble 400F5.6,much sharper shots,but not as versatille.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back