• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Squirrels and spicy food (1 Viewer)

I am having a problem with my squirrels. They are outsmarting all of the baffles that I have put up, and just continued to eat my black oil seed. I have numerous corn cobs out for them, but they are eating both now.

I have continuously heard of people using spices in their bird food. Well, last night I used chili pepper and hot sauce, a mixture I had read about and placed it into my feeders. Not only did I not have squirrels, I didn't have any birds either. I let this go on for about 2 hours and then changed the feed, cleaned the feeders. Ten minutes later, here came all the birds.

Any advice/ opinions/ thoughts???

Thank you so much!!!

Joseph

I use cayenne pepper and it works just fine. No liquids or oil as I have heard some people use. Also, I only buy the hot pepper suet which every single bird avails themselves to but not the squirrels, raccoons or opossums ;)

Whoops, I didn't realize this was your first post ;)

Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

Well, instead of sprinkling the pepper onto the food I merely sprinkled it on the perch. The squirrels have not been to the feeders all day. Perhaps they got a hint of what would happen? :)

Don't worry about the birds, they don't have the taste buds to detect spice. I use chili powder mixed into the seat and applied heavily on top of suet and that works for me.

Good to hear the pepper is working for you. After a bit, you won't have to apply it every day as the squirrels learn quickly. I find now, that if I use it every 3rd or 4th day it keeps the squirrels at bay.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back