• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

An Open Letter To Stephen Ingraham (1 Viewer)

Henry et al:
In fact, I do not intend to spend another dime (farthing?) on such optics until test results are provided.

Ed

Hi, Ed. I know that, at one time, Leica provided a hand-signed card with the Trinovid binoculars, certifying that they were tested and found to meet or exceed Leica's standards for performance. While I cannot say for certain that Leica still includes this card, I would be very surprised to learn that they have relaxed their optical standards. Now if only they have fixed the Ultravid's focusing problem with their new HD model!!!...but I'll save that for another thread.

Hello to all. I'm pretty new around here. I joined the forum seeking input on binocular upgrades. I certainly found that and more. I must say it has been both an educational and entertaining experience. After I read through the pages of this thread, I went looking for similar subject matter for other top binoculars, Zeiss in this case, Leica and Swarovski in others. It seems that no matter what the top end binocular is, people who own them seem to be incensed to greater or lesser degrees, in one aspect or another, about how their binocular needs to be improved.
To read these threads, you'd think all of the discussed binoculars, regardless of brand, were purchased off of the discount counter at the Cheap-Mart. There is too much flare, CA is noticeable, sweet spots are too small, center field resolution stinks, there is too much edge distortion, the focus adjustment is horrible, the diopter is rotten, the rubber armor armor comes off with practically no reason, the eye cups were designed by a moron, there is too much plastic, customer service stinks, etc. The same things (sometimes more sometimes less) regardless of the brand being discussed. Not to make light of the desires stated here and in other forums/threads, but this level of expressed dissatisfaction makes me wonder about ever getting an expensive glass. Yes, for what has to be paid to secure one of these things, it should darned well be perfect. Evidently, even for all of the money you spend, they aren't. Maybe the reason the $300-500 binoculars are so popular is that no expects perfection at that price point, so flaws tend to be ignored. My Swift Eaglet and Vortex Viper will remain in place until I get some things sorted out.
Seems to me that Steve Ingraham and Zeiss have a very uphill battle ahead. Or Swarovski or Leica for that matter. This level of expectation will be hard to satisfy. At their price level, the expectations don't seem unreasonable.
On a final note to Angelo (no criticism intended here OK), while you are in the process of trading the next several hundred binoculars in your quest for your holy grail (which I truly hope you find and I admit to being somewhat envious of your ability to do that), I would humbly, yet meekly suggest that you cycle a new Leupold Gold Ring HD model past your eyes. Yes, they do look like the illegitimate offspring of a sordid affair between the binocular you thought you ordered and the UPS truck that brought them to your door. Beauty is however in the eye of the beholder. Yes the binocular is almost 34 oz., but it feels far less than that (unaware of the weight I'd guess 28 oz). I found one of these at a dealer just yesterday, and ALL desire for a European binocular VANISHED (poof, gone!) from my mind the INSTANT I got the properly focused binocular to my eye. The last “wow” level of that magnitude I experienced was with the newly phase corrected Leicas in the mid 80's. As of yesterday, if I were to upgrade today, that's where I'd go. Yes, I've looked at all of the various Euro big three glasses. That is due to what my eyes tell me, and my eyes aren't yours, but if I were anybody looking for good optics, I'd put these on the very short list. Now here's hoping I survive the mention of the L word in a Zeiss thread.

Cheers,
Steve

Hello to all. I'm pretty new around here. I joined the forum seeking input on binocular upgrades. I certainly found that and more. I must say it has been both an educational and entertaining experience. After I read through the pages of this thread, I went looking for similar subject matter for other top binoculars, Zeiss in this case, Leica and Swarovski in others. It seems that no matter what the top end binocular is, people who own them seem to be incensed to greater or lesser degrees, in one aspect or another, about how their binocular needs to be improved.
To read these threads, you'd think all of the discussed binoculars, regardless of brand, were purchased off of the discount counter at the Cheap-Mart. There is too much flare, CA is noticeable, sweet spots are too small, center field resolution stinks, there is too much edge distortion, the focus adjustment is horrible, the diopter is rotten, the rubber armor armor comes off with practically no reason, the eye cups were designed by a moron, there is too much plastic, customer service stinks, etc. The same things (sometimes more sometimes less) regardless of the brand being discussed. Not to make light of the desires stated here and in other forums/threads, but this level of expressed dissatisfaction makes me wonder about ever getting an expensive glass. Yes, for what has to be paid to secure one of these things, it should darned well be perfect. Evidently, even for all of the money you spend, they aren't. Maybe the reason the $300-500 binoculars are so popular is that no expects perfection at that price point, so flaws tend to be ignored. My Swift Eaglet and Vortex Viper will remain in place until I get some things sorted out.
Seems to me that Steve Ingraham and Zeiss have a very uphill battle ahead. Or Swarovski or Leica for that matter. This level of expectation will be hard to satisfy. At their price level, the expectations don't seem unreasonable.
On a final note to Angelo (no criticism intended here OK), while you are in the process of trading the next several hundred binoculars in your quest for your holy grail (which I truly hope you find and I admit to being somewhat envious of your ability to do that), I would humbly, yet meekly suggest that you cycle a new Leupold Gold Ring HD model past your eyes. Yes, they do look like the illegitimate offspring of a sordid affair between the binocular you thought you ordered and the UPS truck that brought them to your door. Beauty is however in the eye of the beholder. Yes the binocular is almost 34 oz., but it feels far less than that (unaware of the weight I'd guess 28 oz). I found one of these at a dealer just yesterday, and ALL desire for a European binocular VANISHED (poof, gone!) from my mind the INSTANT I got the properly focused binocular to my eye. The last “wow” level of that magnitude I experienced was with the newly phase corrected Leicas in the mid 80's. As of yesterday, if I were to upgrade today, that's where I'd go. Yes, I've looked at all of the various Euro big three glasses. That is due to what my eyes tell me, and my eyes aren't yours, but if I were anybody looking for good optics, I'd put these on the very short list. Now here's hoping I survive the mention of the L word in a Zeiss thread.

Cheers,
Steve

Thank you, Steve. I have not yet tried Leupold's finest, but I will, and soon.

Nice post Steve. It has given me the desire to head out to the local Cabelas to give one of those Leupold HDs the once over. I will be honest, the non-HD version did not impress me at all. The image just seemed to lack clarity even compared to something like the Zeiss Conquest and Conquest ABK. It was obviously better optically than the run-of-the-mill $300-$500 roof but not in the same class as the Big three, Nikon or even Meopta.

The FL version does deserve a hard look though.

Hi, Ed. I know that, at one time, Leica provided a hand-signed card with the Trinovid binoculars, certifying that they were tested and found to meet or exceed Leica's standards for performance. While I cannot say for certain that Leica still includes this card, I would be very surprised to learn that they have relaxed their optical standards. Now if only they have fixed the Ultravid's focusing problem with their new HD model!!!...but I'll save that for another thread.

Well, Leica may have had the right idea but clearly didn't take it far enough. Apparently, they and others are still banking on old reputations. My feeling is that when one professes to sell the very finest binoculars there can be no excuse for manufacturing errors not isolated well before sale. It should certainly not be up to the buyer to find subtle problems, using sophisticated testing procedures, no less, which the company is much better equipped to do. At these prices, "Trust us, we're XYZ optical company..." doesn't work for me.

Some years ago I was into 10 meter air pistol shooting. I only bought the finest Feinwerkbau equipment and each registered gun arrived with a bench-rest target group. That way I knew the capabilities of the instrument and could verify them if I wished. In this case, I suggest star-test images and hand-signed certifications that mechanical aspects like the focus bearings, diopter mechanism, and eyecups work perfectly. Absent that I wouldn't say "... a pox on all their houses," but I'm close.

I need a beer,
Ed B :)

Last edited:
Frank,
Glad to hear you will take a look at the Leupold. FYI on this forum in the Leupold sub-forum there is a thread about the difference in Leupold Binoculars. The GR product manager has added a thread there with some of the specifics for the HD glass. I was a little hesitant to say what I did based on a single view, because there is no substitute for a good field workout. It is just that the “wow” thing was pretty strong, at least with that particular glass, a 10x42. Haven't had that for quite awhile what with all the optics upgrades that have been going on for the last few years. I was particularly struck with the depth of field, which went from about 20 feet to infinity. I look forward to your opinion. Your posts are always among those I pay attention to. Angelo seems to have a good technical feel as well, so I look forward to seeing what you guys think.

Anything else Leupold, I'll put in the Leupold thread.

Steve

... I would humbly, yet meekly suggest that you cycle a new Leupold Gold Ring HD model past your eyes. Yes, they do look like the illegitimate offspring of a sordid affair between the binocular you thought you ordered and the UPS truck that brought them to your door. Beauty is however in the eye of the beholder.

What a marvelous phrase. Cheered me up no end.

... I know that, at one time, Leica provided a hand-signed card with the Trinovid binoculars, certifying that they were tested and found to meet or exceed Leica's standards for performance.

I would expect that all manufacturers ensure that their scopes and bins meet their standards. I'm sure someone here once complained to a big name manufacturer (was it Henry?) and was told the instrument was within tolerances. The issue then is whether or not the standards are high enough.

Are we willing to pay the increased prices that would follow from higher standards. We winge about these products, and some hark on about the optical superiority of their triplet astro scopes, but those instruments cost a fortune. And they are not compact, rugged and waterproof, and lack erecting prisms.

To read these threads, you'd think all of the discussed binoculars, regardless of brand, were purchased off of the discount counter at the Cheap-Mart. There is too much flare, CA is noticeable, sweet spots are too small, center field resolution stinks, there is too much edge distortion, the focus adjustment is horrible, the diopter is rotten, the rubber armor armor comes off with practically no reason, the eye cups were designed by a moron, there is too much plastic, customer service stinks, etc. The same things (sometimes more sometimes less) regardless of the brand being discussed. Not to make light of the desires stated here and in other forums/threads, but this level of expressed dissatisfaction makes me wonder about ever getting an expensive glass. Yes, for what has to be paid to secure one of these things, it should darned well be perfect. Evidently, even for all of the money you spend, they aren't. Maybe the reason the $300-500 binoculars are so popular is that no expects perfection at that price point, so flaws tend to be ignored. Steve

I've only just caught up with this thread and so have just sat down and read the lot. Although the discussion has been awash with excellent points, for me Steve's comment (quoted above) stands out. Very well said.

Not that we don't need the perfectionists to rail against the imperfections they find and clods like me miss. It shouldn't be taken as a gross personal insult to my judgement or me as a person that such hyper critical observers take exception to my brand new little baby. Those who nag and niggle are the guys we need to thank for what improvements we see.

I think we also have to bear in mind that sometimes one improvement comes at the cost of a deficiency elsewhere. For years we birders grumbled about the weight of our optics so firms responded by slimming down the weight. Now we can grumble that binocular construction isn't what it used to be - too much light weight plastic etc.

Having had to save up for some time and then persuade my wife that its a reasonable expenditure before I bought my first ever brand new premium bins (8x42Fls) last year I'm also somewhat in awe of those characters (other than dealers) who can blithely purchase two three or four £800+ binoculars. Have these people no mortgage, no kids to feed, no domestic bills to pay (more pertinently in my case, no damn water heater to replace at £1200), no partner to cajole and so on? Am I jealous? Of course I am! Do I value their unique ability to make real field comparisons over the long term? Absolutely!
John

Last edited:
...Having had to save up for some time and then persuade my wife that its a reasonable expenditure before I bought my first ever brand new premium bins (8x42Fls) last year I'm also somewhat in awe of those characters (other than dealers) who can blithely purchase two three or four £800+ binoculars. Have these people no mortgage, no kids to feed, no domestic bills to pay (more pertinently in my case, no damn water heater to replace at £1200), no partner to cajole and so on? Am I jealous? Of course I am! Do I value their unique ability to make real field comparisons over the long term? Absolutely!
John

OK John, take it easy! Quality of life has got a lot to do with being happy with the things we have. Most of my life so far (and I am 65), I was in the position you seem to be. The last few years, I got a bit closer to the ones you describe (I'd say I'm in between). So I can afford a lot more than I used to. And I like it. But am I happier? No! Every time I fulfill another one of those dreams, there are new ones creeping up. So THAT type of hunger is never satisfied, at least not for any length of time. Fortunately, I still realize how things were in the past. And I know, if they ever change back I'll be able to remain happy as long as I am in decent health and enjoy fine family relationships. To me, at least, it's those things that count much more.

I hope you truly enjoy your 8x42 FL. I have the same model and I am VERY happy with it! Yet, as a sort of last commitment to the school I had been teaching at for the last 28 years, I searched for decent binoculars to be used on field trips. Leupold Yosemites were suggested here on BF. And when I bought them for the school, I thought they were so terribly good that I bought a pair for me as well. And the difference in quality between these 6x30 porros and the 8x42 FL is certainly very much smaller than the difference in price. So, overall, we pay dearly for that little bit of extra quality. I do strive for it, but it's obvious that all those who can't still get excellent views.

Last edited:
I'm also somewhat in awe of those characters (other than dealers) who can blithely purchase two three or four £800+ binoculars. Have these people no mortgage, no kids to feed, no domestic bills to pay (more pertinently in my case, no damn water heater to replace at £1200),

Three jobs gives me a bit more than for just the mortgage, wife and kids but not much. ;)

Steve,

Thank you for the kind words. I am always glad to help.

OK John, take it easy! Quality of life has got a lot to do with being happy with the things we have. Most of my life so far (and I am 65), I was in the position you seem to be. The last few years, I got a bit closer to the ones you describe (I'd say I'm in between). So I can afford a lot more than I used to. And I like it. But am I happier? No! Every time I fulfill another one of those dreams, there are new ones creeping up. So THAT type of hunger is never satisfied, at least not for any length of time. Fortunately, I still realize how things were in the past. And I know, if they ever change back I'll be able to remain happy as long as I am in decent health and enjoy fine family relationships. To me, at least, it's those things that count much more.

I hope you truly enjoy your 8x42 FL. I have the same model and I am VERY happy with it! Yet, as a sort of last commitment to the school I had been teaching at for the last 28 years, I searched for decent binoculars to be used on field trips. Leupold Yosemites were suggested here on BF. And when I bought them for the school, I thought they were so terribly good that I bought a pair for me as well. And the difference in quality between these 6x30 porros and the 8x42 FL is certainly very much smaller than the difference in price. So, overall, we pay dearly for that little bit of extra quality. I do strive for it, but it's obvious that all those who can't still get excellent views.

I am most assuredly 'taking it easy', my quality of life is, thankfully, fine and I do enjoy my 8x42 FLs. Perhaps, jealous was too strong a word - curious might have been nearer the mark,
John

Well, Leica may have had the right idea but clearly didn't take it far enough. Apparently, they and others are still banking on old reputations. My feeling is that when one professes to sell the very finest binoculars there can be no excuse for manufacturing errors not isolated well before sale. It should certainly not be up to the buyer to find subtle problems, using sophisticated testing procedures, no less, which the company is much better equipped to do. At these prices, "Trust us, we're XYZ optical company..." doesn't work for me.

Some years ago I was into 10 meter air pistol shooting. I only bought the finest Feinwerkbau equipment and each registered gun arrived with a bench-rest target group. That way I knew the capabilities of the instrument and could verify them if I wished. In this case, I suggest star-test images and hand-signed certifications that mechanical aspects like the focus bearings, diopter mechanism, and eyecups work perfectly. Absent that I wouldn't say "... a pox on all their houses," but I'm close.

I need a beer,
Ed B :)

Ed,

Welcome to the real world of binocular optics. ;-)

Promoting the image of a fine and precise instrument sells expensive binoculars but the unvarnished truth is that, in order to make them small enough to be manageable, binoculars cheap and expensive have always used very fast optics with copious amounts of aberrations. Most people would be dismayed to see what the star test of an expensive binocular looks like. The idea has been that these aberrations don't need any better correction because they won't be visually objectionable at low magnification. The same loose standards have been applied to defects like astigmatism, misalignment and pinching. Levels of these defects that couldn't be tolerated in a telescope at higher magnification are considered harmless in binoculars, but sometimes the combination of aberrations and defects added together turns out to be bad enough to degrade the image even at low magnification. If you are lucky enough to have one completely defect free barrel (as determined by a magnified star test) then you can use it as a reference to determine whether a defective barrel is bad enough to be degrading the image in normal use. If both barrels are defective, then I think it's impossible to know for sure whether some subtle damage is being done.

My solution is to forget trying to extract certification from the manufacturers. I wouldn't place any trust in a piece of paper in the box anyway. Do your own testing and keep only the binoculars that you certify.

Henry

My solution is to forget trying to extract certification from the manufacturers. I wouldn't place any trust in a piece of paper in the box anyway. Do your own testing and keep only the binoculars that you certify.

Henry

Henry,

I think you just pulled a reductio ad absurdum on me, but that's OK. Maybe it's only cynicism, which I tend to share. ;) However, by your own admission the issue reduces to who does the certification, not whether it can be done. Correct? I think the manufacturer should do it.

It seems to me that star-test images, or other appropriate test data, can be provided with each super high end instrument showing that manufacturing errors resulting in pinching, astigmatism, etc. meet acceptable standards—perhaps ISO standards. These would be data, of course, that can be verified independently by you or me, — no, better you or Kimmo. My question to you is, what data would make the whole evaluation easier?

The first high-end manufacturer to take this approach will earn a justifiable claim to greatness, and with it, of course, all the kudos and financial benefits. Until that day arrives, however, I'll make no appointments and have no disappointments.

Ed

Ed,

Welcome to the real world of binocular optics. ;-)

Promoting the image of a fine and precise instrument sells expensive binoculars but the unvarnished truth is that, in order to make them small enough to be manageable, binoculars cheap and expensive have always used very fast optics with copious amounts of aberrations. Most people would be dismayed to see what the star test of an expensive binocular looks like. The idea has been that these aberrations don't need any better correction because they won't be visually objectionable at low magnification. The same loose standards have been applied to defects like astigmatism, misalignment and pinching. Levels of these defects that couldn't be tolerated in a telescope at higher magnification are considered harmless in binoculars, but sometimes the combination of aberrations and defects added together turns out to be bad enough to degrade the image even at low magnification. If you are lucky enough to have one completely defect free barrel (as determined by a magnified star test) then you can use it as a reference to determine whether a defective barrel is bad enough to be degrading the image in normal use. If both barrels are defective, then I think it's impossible to know for sure whether some subtle damage is being done.

Henry

This seems to be going totally over the top. The issue is what level of optical quality is required for an ~8x instrument, rather than what esoteric aberrations can our sensitive testing methods detect. Or put another way, what amount of aberration can be tolerated without having a clearly noticeable effect on the instrument when used normally.

Most of us do not even tripod mount our binoculars and certainly in my case the loss of sharpness due to hand shake is enormous.

As far as my limited experience goes, I have only seen two obvious and unacceptable levels of aberration. Both had miscollimation, in one case a high end binocular, in the other a cheap one (and sent to me by the manufacturer specifically for testing). Otherwise to my untrained eye most instruments of a given model display obvious characteristic that follow from the design. Thus the Zeiss 8x42 FL, a fine instrument IMO, displays obvious softness at the field periphery which some find objectionable. Only the Nikon 8x32 SE is near perfect IMO. I suspect most people simply cannot see differences between most samples of a given model of binocular, unless there is an obvious severe fault.

Now as for scopes, there is clearly considerable sample variation even among top end models. The only solution to higher quality is to pay more, as the companies have to earn a living. But most of us are happy to buy a scope sight unseen from a mail order shop. So much for consumer power.

..... But most of us are happy to buy a scope sight unseen from a mail order shop. So much for consumer power.

Most stores can't stock more than one sample of each model. Or if they do, they are not very eager to open all the boxes. Thus, the potential for sample comparisons is about equally poor. The only possible comparison is between different models or brands, depending on which ones they stock. But if you already know what you want, you can't usually pick that cherry out of several samples.

Last edited:
Most stores can't stock more than one sample of each model. Or if they do, they are not very eager to open all the boxes. Thus, the potential for sample comparisons is about equally poor. The only possible comparison is between different models or brands, depending on which ones they stock. But if you already know what you want, you can't usually pick that cherry out of several samples.

I think we have gotten back to the crux of the matter here. In my experience with Swarovski, Leica and Zeiss binoculars, there is virtually NO observable sample variation in the Swarovski and Leica binoculars (Ultravid focuser notwithstanding), but considerable sample variation in Zeiss binoculars. Again, this is nothing more than my own personal experience, having unscientifically tested no fewer than 40 samples of each marque. I can also say that there is also considerable sample variation in Nikon's consumer grade (inexpensive) camera lenses, but precious little in their pro-caliber lenses. This indicates to me that sample variation of the magnitude I have seen in Zeiss' binoculars can and should be more carefully monitored at the factory, rather than in the dealers showroom.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back