• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Who in Birdland is going to be 1st (1 Viewer)

The BulbMogul

To own the new Leica APO 82MM Spotting Scope? Is anyone getting the hankering to own one of these but just not yet stepped up to the plate.? Well I can say I am one of the ones that would fit into this category.. Cabellas in Dundee, Michigan is getting one into there store this weekend for me to play with. Looking forward to a hands on with this gem. It will be the angled version as that is what I ask them to get in..

Cheers, Jerry in NW Ohio USA

Looking forward to hearing your opinion on this scope. I have a horrible feeling it may be wonderful and you will have to buy it.

Not all of us are moguls, Bulb (er, Jerry). You have good taste, but very expensive taste. I can't help notice some redundancy in your equipment line up though.

Let us lesser optics geeks know how it is though, there's very little out there about it.

Last edited:
looking at your list of gear, how are you intending to carry it to compare to the others when out birding. the new nikkon 85 would be worth adding as well.

Having just come back from the bird fair at Rutland, I definitely want one, though I prefer the more compact 65mm. Hard to justify the cost at the moment though.
I tried all the big name scopes, as I wanted to see how the newer 25-50x zooms were like. For me the Leica eyepiece was quite a bit better than the Swaro, as I could not see the entire field with the latter (I wear glasses) and seemed far more comfortable on the eye. The new Nikon scope was good optically, though both bodies were quite big and bulky, and the 20-60x eyepiece though good was very stiff in operation and was not quite in the same class.

New Leica Scopes

looking at your list of gear, how are you intending to carry it to compare to the others when out birding. the new nikkon 85 would be worth adding as well.

I really am not one for going deep into the birding safaris to use the scope. Would be used on ocaasional leasure type trips where carring it a great distance is not a issue.. I am sure the Nikon also is quite nice..

Thanks, Jerry

Handled a 82MM New leica Scope

We were up to Cabellas in Dundee, Michigan USA over the weekend and had the opportunity to handle a brand new Leica 82mm Angled Unit. What a incredible piece of technology. One of these are surely on my list of things from Santa this year.. Love how it has a pull out hood.

Cheers, Jerry

I must admit it is no beauty to look at - but it is a joy to look through!

Hi James,
I am pleased you now have your new Leica, well I did help in the finance of it after all!! My birding mate will be getting one as soon as they bring out the straight model.
A few days ago I was looking at a long-billed dowitcher through the big optolyth!!
fiddler.

Just part exchanged my 14 year old Apo Televid for an 82 with the new 25x-50x apo eyepiece. Stunning!
I use the scope a lot for drawing birds through and the new lens is superb, especially for those cursed with having to wear glasses.

I too am very close to buying one, been looking at them alot since i sold my APO77 and my lil old ED50 is a great scope but just not the same ;)

So watch this space :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back