• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Maven B5 15x56 - Some Thoughts (2 Viewers)

Samolot

Good evening all,

I have had many binoculars in the past, but have recently acquired a pair of Maven B5 15x56's at the recommendation of ... Fiske. I wanted a long range binocular to complement a pair of 8x42's I have. The purpose of these binoculars were to do 50/50 daytime/nightime observing. Because of the day time component I did not want an IF binocular, and wanted something smaller that I can carry into the woods for some tripod bird observation

I was debating between the Conquest HD 15x56, Swarovski 15x56, and Maven B5 15x56. 15x56 are a tricky breed of binoculars because local stores that carry binoculars rarely stock 15 power binos. Yes, I can order all three and return two but forcing two binoculars into an "open-box" category is sub-optimal, that and a 5,000$ credit card charge all at once is something I can't risk in my young financial career should something go wrong. So all I have are my memories of once previously owning an SLC 15x56 and paper/video reviews of the Conquest HD 15x56. Take it all with a grain of salt.

Here we go...

The Mavens: The packaging appears to have changed. When you open the shipping box, you are welcomed to an egg-crate-like packaging that houses the binoculars perfectly safe, but kinda weird because you are paying top-dollar for the optic. There is no hard case, only a soft-micro-fiber cloth bag that houses the binoculars – which itself is very nice actually. For a modest charge of 30$, I ordered a separate dedicated case from Maven which is actually very functional and high quality. Despite all these quirks, you finally get to the optic itself and .... its breathtaking.

The binocular itself exudes quality. From the metal focuser which rotates smoothly, precisely, and with just the right amount of resistance, to the housing and glass itself - these are first-rate binoculars that are assembled with the proper attention to detail. There is no subtle dust or speck in the internal optical elements that I have seen in swaros and zeiss in the past, just pure quality Japanese manufacturing, assembled state-side apparently. The eyepieces themselves are large, just as large as the eye cups which for some may be a bit too clunky for proper eye positioning - the old adage "try before you buy" remains true here. The eyecups remind me of Meopta Meopros. They twist out nicely and stay in position. The diopter is very stiff so I don't see any issues with it moving inappropriately when I extend the eyecups. The front glass looks pristine, and has threads over the barrels so you can mount filters! This is kinda rare - I have only seen this in Kowa's Genesis line of binoculars. My experience is limited to CF straight through binoculars, not astro-bino-viewers which I’m sure all have threaded objectives. Overall, I was very impressed with the build quality.

Let's get to the views. Looking through these binoculars requires proper stabilization. I say that because if you are just planning to use these "free-hand", you will be disappointed. The weight of the binoculars is accentuated up front which makes for a less stable view if you want to play with the focuser at the same time – which you will. The depth of field is fairly shallow (as is standard for 15x56), and the fact that the focuser itself is VERY fast, makes for a lot of touchy movements while viewing. When mounted on a proper tripod, one can focus more on the view while making subtle changes to the focus mechanism and not worry about shake – all this will ultimately render, "the view".

The View: This is the Maven's strong suit. Absurdly bright, vividly sharp, and rich in color. Each big name binocular suffers from a color cast which preferentially accentuates a color profile (look no further than Leica's – some find it pleasing, but for me it was just too warm). The Abbe-Konig prisms in the Maven's contributes to a very color neutral viewing experiences I have seen in Zeiss FL's in the past. The SLC 15x56 also has AK prisms but I agree with other reviewers that colors felt a little white washed. The Maven's, perhaps with the flourite lenses, coupled together with the AK prisms not only makes for a bright neutral view, but it seems that all colors pop a little. No color is spared. The apparent field of view is very wide, wider than the SLC’s, less wide than the conquests – and you can see it. The view is very wide open when you put your eyes up against the eye pieces. What’s also nice is I can roam around with my eyes and not suffer any kidney-bean black outs. It’s very relaxed. Contrast is excellent – everything seems to pop out more. Supremely sharp.

I used these quite extensively the last two weekends in the woods at least against some of the harshest viewing conditions – bright, cloudy, with snow on the ground. I pointed at the binoculars against the snow and dark trees and then branches up against the bright cloudy sky. On the outside 70%, CA is evident, however in the center it is very minimal. Based on the reviews I have read and watched, it appears the Conquests show a fair amount of CA in the center and I wish I had a pair to confirm this. Overall, I was very pleased with the performance.

I posted this review with some additional comments regarding night time observation on cloudynights in case anyone is interested.

I can tell I am going to enjoy this one for a long time. Attached are photos from my daytime observation.

Thanks for reading and cheers! I’m happy to answer any questions from prospective owners.

Attachments

• 6Z3A7840.jpg
    6Z3A7840.jpg
    434.5 KB · Views: 52
  • 6Z3A7875.jpg
    6Z3A7875.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 47
  • 6Z3A7849.JPG
    6Z3A7849.JPG
    382 KB · Views: 46
Nice review! I like the Maven B.5 series of binoculars - the 15x56 has been a workhorse for me, mostly for Astronomy including solar. I also have the 12x56 and 10x56 models. Their center sharpness is hard to beat. The focuser is a little stiff for my tastes on the fine celestial targets. And the edge sharpness could be better. But Maven binoculars are well represented on my team - they are excellent instruments in my opinion.

Maven vs EL 3.jpg Maven 12x56 Bottom Side 2 Edited.jpgMaven Pic2.jpg

Love the red/black custom color design on the last photo! I have a conquest HD 8x42 so I am used to fast focusers and have started to prefer them. On binos like the 15's though, it helps to have them stabilized on a sturdy tripod to work the focuser.

Is that a nitrotech tripod head?

Nice photos. I purchased the SLC a few years ago and very happy with them, so never bothered to look at Maven, boy Fiske is likely getting a cut from Maven for the free marketing at CN.
By the way, the eyecups on the Maven can become an issue over time with not staying in place. Most of the owners l know use them for that other sport, and that is one of the complaints.

Love the red/black custom color design on the last photo! I have a conquest HD 8x42 so I am used to fast focusers and have started to prefer them. On binos like the 15's though, it helps to have them stabilized on a sturdy tripod to work the focuser.

Is that a nitrotech tripod head?
The customizing options are uniquely Maven I think - and are great if you want that sort of thing, at a price of course ;). Yeah, that's a Nitrotech head in the picture.

I use 58-T Thousand Oaks solar filters on the B.5s - its a nice feature from Maven to accommodate threaded camera filters on these objectives. This adds to the useability and utility imo. I'm thinking of adding light pollution and maybe some other filter types to try out with these.

Last edited:
Nice photos. I purchased the SLC a few years ago and very happy with them, so never bothered to look at Maven, boy Fiske is likely getting a cut from Maven for the free marketing at CN.
By the way, the eyecups on the Maven can become an issue over time with not staying in place. Most of the owners l know use them for that other sport, and that is one of the complaints.
Thanks Dries1! I'm a Swarovski fan for sure but never tried the SLCs - my first Maven was the 15x56, then added the other B.5s after that, so I have shied away from adding any other brands in that class for the moment.

Good feedback on the eyecups. The positions are easily rotated. I can see after heavy use, going in and out of chest packs, eye covers on and off torquing them, that they could easily loose position and become inconvenient when needed the most. Definitely will add this to the list of Maven flaws.

No, for sure, on the cuts. As I recall, Fiske was a little late to the party on these. MT4, myself, and others were finding beautiful views of the night sky with Mavens among some of the astronomy geeks over there. And we tended to promote what we liked. But since Fiske has arrived at the Maven party, he has became the life of it :)

Maven also produces some excellent riflescopes - high quality and competitive pricepoints. But that's a subject for another forum...

Give credit to Maven for providing a wide selection of models - as we speak, Swaro has discontinued the 8x and 10x56 in the USA, while Maven offers 4 different magnifications. They offer Abbe-Konig prism in a 45mm binocular too. You can still find the Swaros of course, but you won't get the SONA warranty service - once they go out of stock they won't be coming back.

I haven't tried them, but it seems like Maven offer you a better price point in exchange for giving up a wee bit of color correction in a lot of their models. Not a bad deal. For astronomy you'll never notice.

Last edited:
Some other thoughts on the Mavens: I have enjoyed observing with the B.2 9x45. I once did a quick comparison between it and the NL 8x42, and it held its own. The 7x45 in that lineup is no longer available, but I think Fiske has that one. His recommendation on the 10x56 led me to add that instrument as my final Maven acquisition. It is a great binocular! In comparisons with 10x50s on my team including the WX, the B.5 10x56 is superior in center clarity - as it probably should be. It has some slight CA when viewing the moon in my experience. I have yet to put it up against another 56mm alpha or otherwise...

Maven 9x45 vs NL 8x42.jpg

Very nice review. I own(ed) the B1.2, B2 and B6. Of those three the B6 10x50 is easily my favorite - handles like a 10x42 with the saturated view of a 50mm. Maven certainly offers a lot of value for the $. About the only consistent shortcoming (or personal disappointment) is color pop (to me = good, not great) and the lack of firmness/resistance in the eyecups as all of my Mavens would collapse unexpectedly (usually only on one side) - it is a minor annoyance, but not enough to keep me from really liking them overall.

Was at several sportsman’s shows within the past month or so and spent some time with the Mavens and chatting with the reps. I was also very impressed with the B5 15x56, but not as much with their 18x56 as it looks like just a step too far. Tempted to pick up a set but will need to first assess the price difference with a 15x56 SLC.

BTW - I brought up the collapsing eyecups issue with the Maven folks. They responded that they’ve heard this enough that they are aware it is an issue and are actively working on a solution or design change.

I have heard about the collapsing eye cups from Maven. I haven't noticed that on my B5's - maybe because they're new. I recently tried out and returned the B1.2 8x42 after comparing it to my Conquest HD 8x42, and while the eyecups were looser, they certainly didn't auto-collapse on themselves even if I pushed them. To me the B5's were built like a finer instrument than the B1.2's. If Maven does improve the eyecups, I hope they make the rim thinner like in the Swaro's. The clunkiness is a bit distracting and poor fitting for some faces.

Had a chance to compare the Mavens to the Conquests 15x56. I posted about this on Cloudynights, but in brief: The mavens were much better. Brighter, sharper, CA better controlled. Honestly the B5 series is alpha quality. The only area where the conquests were better was the finish - personally i like the thicker armor.

Attachments

• 6Z3A9648.JPG
    7.7 MB · Views: 12
  • 6Z3A9643.JPG
    9 MB · Views: 13
Good evening all,

I have had many binoculars in the past, but have recently acquired a pair of Maven B5 15x56's at the recommendation of ... Fiske. I wanted a long range binocular to complement a pair of 8x42's I have. The purpose of these binoculars were to do 50/50 daytime/nightime observing. Because of the day time component I did not want an IF binocular, and wanted something smaller that I can carry into the woods for some tripod bird observation

I was debating between the Conquest HD 15x56, Swarovski 15x56, and Maven B5 15x56. 15x56 are a tricky breed of binoculars because local stores that carry binoculars rarely stock 15 power binos. Yes, I can order all three and return two but forcing two binoculars into an "open-box" category is sub-optimal, that and a 5,000$ credit card charge all at once is something I can't risk in my young financial career should something go wrong. So all I have are my memories of once previously owning an SLC 15x56 and paper/video reviews of the Conquest HD 15x56. Take it all with a grain of salt.

Here we go...

The Mavens: The packaging appears to have changed. When you open the shipping box, you are welcomed to an egg-crate-like packaging that houses the binoculars perfectly safe, but kinda weird because you are paying top-dollar for the optic. There is no hard case, only a soft-micro-fiber cloth bag that houses the binoculars – which itself is very nice actually. For a modest charge of 30$, I ordered a separate dedicated case from Maven which is actually very functional and high quality. Despite all these quirks, you finally get to the optic itself and .... its breathtaking.

The binocular itself exudes quality. From the metal focuser which rotates smoothly, precisely, and with just the right amount of resistance, to the housing and glass itself - these are first-rate binoculars that are assembled with the proper attention to detail. There is no subtle dust or speck in the internal optical elements that I have seen in swaros and zeiss in the past, just pure quality Japanese manufacturing, assembled state-side apparently. The eyepieces themselves are large, just as large as the eye cups which for some may be a bit too clunky for proper eye positioning - the old adage "try before you buy" remains true here. The eyecups remind me of Meopta Meopros. They twist out nicely and stay in position. The diopter is very stiff so I don't see any issues with it moving inappropriately when I extend the eyecups. The front glass looks pristine, and has threads over the barrels so you can mount filters! This is kinda rare - I have only seen this in Kowa's Genesis line of binoculars. My experience is limited to CF straight through binoculars, not astro-bino-viewers which I’m sure all have threaded objectives. Overall, I was very impressed with the build quality.

Let's get to the views. Looking through these binoculars requires proper stabilization. I say that because if you are just planning to use these "free-hand", you will be disappointed. The weight of the binoculars is accentuated up front which makes for a less stable view if you want to play with the focuser at the same time – which you will. The depth of field is fairly shallow (as is standard for 15x56), and the fact that the focuser itself is VERY fast, makes for a lot of touchy movements while viewing. When mounted on a proper tripod, one can focus more on the view while making subtle changes to the focus mechanism and not worry about shake – all this will ultimately render, "the view".

The View: This is the Maven's strong suit. Absurdly bright, vividly sharp, and rich in color. Each big name binocular suffers from a color cast which preferentially accentuates a color profile (look no further than Leica's – some find it pleasing, but for me it was just too warm). The Abbe-Konig prisms in the Maven's contributes to a very color neutral viewing experiences I have seen in Zeiss FL's in the past. The SLC 15x56 also has AK prisms but I agree with other reviewers that colors felt a little white washed. The Maven's, perhaps with the flourite lenses, coupled together with the AK prisms not only makes for a bright neutral view, but it seems that all colors pop a little. No color is spared. The apparent field of view is very wide, wider than the SLC’s, less wide than the conquests – and you can see it. The view is very wide open when you put your eyes up against the eye pieces. What’s also nice is I can roam around with my eyes and not suffer any kidney-bean black outs. It’s very relaxed. Contrast is excellent – everything seems to pop out more. Supremely sharp.

I used these quite extensively the last two weekends in the woods at least against some of the harshest viewing conditions – bright, cloudy, with snow on the ground. I pointed at the binoculars against the snow and dark trees and then branches up against the bright cloudy sky. On the outside 70%, CA is evident, however in the center it is very minimal. Based on the reviews I have read and watched, it appears the Conquests show a fair amount of CA in the center and I wish I had a pair to confirm this. Overall, I was very pleased with the performance.

I posted this review with some additional comments regarding night time observation on cloudynights in case anyone is interested.

I can tell I am going to enjoy this one for a long time. Attached are photos from my daytime observation.

Thanks for reading and cheers! I’m happy to answer any questions from prospective owners.
Thank you for the review. I've seen Fiske's review and continually keep going back and forth whether to get the 15x or 18x versions. I know it's madness but I want to do free hand "burst" viewing with them.

I'm surprised these had any CA at all but at least it's pushed into the outside.

It's posts like these that might get me to try the demo program from maven...
Nice review! I like the Maven B.5 series of binoculars - the 15x56 has been a workhorse for me, mostly for Astronomy including solar. I also have the 12x56 and 10x56 models. Their center sharpness is hard to beat. The focuser is a little stiff for my tastes on the fine celestial targets. And the edge sharpness could be better. But Maven binoculars are well represented on my team - they are excellent instruments in my opinion.

View attachment 1491912 View attachment 1491914View attachment 1491913
Can I ask where you got those solar filters for your binoculars? They look like they thread on? Sorry for the off topic question.

Edit: Nvm. I kept reading the thread. Are camera filters safe to use for visual? I mean I use cardboard filter cells on my binos with film so I'm not one to talk. But I was under the impression they were potentially coated differently or something.

Good evening all,

Here we go...

Fiske the Maven Fanboy strikes again! :) But it looks like his advice paid off. I had to laugh when I read his comment on CN where he said he knew that BF members gave him that moniker.

Good to read your review. I especially like your comments about the color rendition and how it is skewed in the Swaro (cold) but its also true of Zeiss (boosted in the yellow-green) and about the Maven's CA control, which is got to be tough at 15x. And thanks for adding the photos.

I don't seem many reviews of 15x56 bins on BF, more often on hunting sites such as Rockslide and 24hourcompfire and on Cloudy Nights.

I have the Nikon 8-16x40 XL Zoom binocular, and 15x sure does pull in those globs and brighter nebulae, but I have not used them for birding yet. Most zoom binoculars are crap, but this one is the exception to the rule. Very fine optics and sharp to the edge, though I do wish it were a 50mm since the exit pupil gets tiny quickly as you move up in power. It doesn't have ED glass, but the CA control is good perhaps due to the narrow FOV.

I also like the wide FOV in the Maven. Being a zoom bin, the FOV in the Nikon XL Zoom looks narrow at low powers (5.2* @ 8x), but the apparent FOV opens up as you zoom to higher powers and becomes very open @ 15x.

I don't use them for birding because I have shaky hands, a problem that has gotten worse with age. I used to be able to hold 12x fairly steady when I was younger (even 15x if I were well braced), but these days a mount is a must or I'm following the bouncing bird or bouncing star. However, my Bogen tripod weighs a ton, so it's not "grab and go." It takes the SE/ED2 adapter, which I have, but I need a lighter but sturdy mount that can handle my Obie Grip-Action Ball Head: https://oberwerk.com/product/oberwerk-2000-series-monopod-with-grip-action-ball-head/

I bought the head with the monopod but my hands make the monopod shake too much, so I mounted it on my Bogen (aka, "the Beast"). Good for astro use but not for birding unless you drive to an open spot like in your photo and set it up.

I have questions about these statements in your review:

The Abbe-Konig prisms in the Maven's contributes to a very color neutral viewing experiences I have seen in Zeiss FL's in the past.

The AK prisms not only makes for a bright neutral view, but it seems that all colors pop a little

How does that work? I know that AK prisms are brighter than SPs, but I didn't think the prism type contributed to neutral colors, I thought that was mainly due to the type of AR coatings applied and also to the glass used (ED/Flourite glass will make colors "pop" by bringing them evenly in focus instead of scattered as in regular glass).

Brock

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing! Its hard to describe the view through AK prisms but to me it just seem like everything is brighter so color casts are harder to differentiate. I mention the white-washed appearance on the SLC's, but I do not necessarily think its a bad thing. To me I just wanted a neutral color palate and the Mavens delivered that the best in my experience - probably a combination of a bright view thanks to AK prisms and good coatings / flourite glass. I was impressed with how the mavens fared against the conquests - because the conquests were dimmer, I was able to detect a subtle preference towards green/blue colors. I was asked about my setup on cloudy nights - ill PM you the link. Cheers!

View attachment 1491912 View attachment 1491914View attachment 1491913
GO TEAM MAVEN! :)

I like that Maven allows you to customize your bin with different color combinations and those brushed aluminum focusers knobs, but why camo armoring for an astronomy bin?

Also, why is fine focus necessary for astronomy? Don't you just set the focus to infinity for stargazing and leave it there? A stiff focuser would be an issue for moving targets such a birds. I remember using an early 8.5x EL, and not only was the focuser very stiff (turning to the right) but it also took so many turns to go from CF to infinity that chasing hawks was hard enough, never mind warblers!

Since you wrote "edge sharpness could be better," the B.5 apparently doesn't live up to its marketing "B.5 features tack-sharp edge-to-edge clarity."

Brock

RE #17: Why not Camo for astronomy? For me, going both sides of focus quickly is handy with central focus bins and astronomy; and Maven is a little stiff for that, but manageable. Yes, agree - Maven marketing is over stated for edge sharpness on the B.5s.

Maven 12x56 Top Side.jpg

If Maven comes up with a Tak Astronomer-like covering material, that would be good too!

Tak Astronomer.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back