• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

China Birds (Nick Sismey) 2011 List (UK, China, Hong Kong & ?) (1 Viewer)

23 January 2011 (Continued)

Already satisfied with the day we returned to our car, thanked the official very much for his time and stopped in the village for lunch. The restaurant kept a Crested Myna and a Sparrowhawk in separate cages just outside the window, not something I like to see. At least they had the present of mind not to put them in the same cage!

Rejuvenated, we then headed for the Dongtan Wetland Park (Photo1) where 80 Yuan (£8) each gave Cai and I (Yan was feeling off colour so stayed in the car) entry to the park, which was full of large fresh water lagoons surrounded by reed beds. Many more Vinous Throated Parrotbills (Photo 2) here.

One of the target species was Baikal Teal, which I hadn’t seen for a couple of years, in Sichuan province. We therefore set off to where we knew the large flocks of ducks would be. On a whim I suggested to Cai that we should take a detour along a boardwalk I wish I had negotiated the last time we were here. It gave great views of one of the lagoons (Photo 3) and in the far corner a flock of Spoonbills (Photo 4) were sleeping off their lunch.

183.Spoonbill-------------------Dongtan Wetland Park-----------China

Several rangers from the park joined us in a golf trolley asking whether any were Black Faced Spoonbills. We checked several times, with the scope, but with many with their heads deep under their wings we couldn’t be sure.

We did however pick up one black face, a Black Faced Bunting was resting on a broken bulrush stem. Amongst the ducks were several Falcated Ducks that always remind me of pretentious Mallard, which were also in plentiful supply.

184.Black Faced Bunting-------Dongtan Wetland Park-----------China
185.Falcated Duck-------------Dongtan Wetland Park------------China

Pintail, Goosander, Little Grebe and Coot all added to the China year list. As the boardwalk rounded the end of the lagoon near the Spoonbill they took to the air. A few quick shots confirmed that there were indeed Black Faced Spoonbills (Photo 5) amongst the flock.

186.Black Faced Spoonbill------Dongtan Wetland Park-----------China

More to follow…..

Attachments

• Photo1.JPG
    Photo1.JPG
    212.6 KB · Views: 239
  • Photo2.JPG
    Photo2.JPG
    211.9 KB · Views: 195
  • Photo3.JPG
    Photo3.JPG
    222.6 KB · Views: 220
  • Photo4.JPG
    Photo4.JPG
    113.1 KB · Views: 213
  • Photo5.jpg
    Photo5.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 219
Last edited:
23 January 2011 (Continued)

As the boardwalk came to an end (Photo1) there was a flock of at least 100 small birds working their way along the reed bed to our right. Closer inspection revealed masked raiders feeding on the reed heads, wonderful Chinese Penduline Tits (Photo 2)

187.Chinese Penduline Tit----------Dongtan Wetland Park-------China

They didn’t have the reed beds to themselves however Plain Prinia and Pallas's Reed Buntings (Photo 3) were holding their own but not quite in the same numbers.

188. Plain Prinia--------------------Dongtan Wetland Park--------China
189. Pallas's Reed Bunting---------Dongtan Wetland Park--------China

Every flock of ducks I scanned for Baikal Teal with no success, what made it worse was that the flocks were very skittish and inevitably each time we got close there was a flap of hundreds of wings and the ducks took to the air. On clear days, when there are many more visitors the ducks keep their distance, but in the fog with few visitors they were venturing into new territory and then falling fowl (pun intended) of some hardened birders being daft enough to visit in such weather! A small flock of Scaup were the next year bird to fall into this trap, off into the opaque sky they went in a frenzy, as if their life depended on it.

190.Scaup-------------------------Dongtan Wetland Park--------China

Gadwall, Grey Heron, Shoveler, Great Crested Grebe and Teal added to the China year list as we checked out yet more wary flocks. Turning for home (well the car) at the far end of the reserve, we scoped a flock of distance duck (Photo 4 – so distant you can’t see a single bird on this photo!), which were far more relaxed with life. With the scope at full magnification looking for the two tell tale vertical stripes, one at the front, one at the rear, I excitedly announced to Cai “Baikal Teal” (Photo 5 – At the extreme of digi-scoping!). Cai must have thought “Thank goodness, now he will probably stop wittering on about them”. There were in fact seven birds scattered amongst the flock, the modern art on their face making them a special bird.

191.Baikal Teal--------------------Dongtan Wetland Park--------China

The sun in this part of the world loses its potency well before it reaches the horizon. Just before it disappeared the fog lifted and suddenly we had a beautiful day. Yellow Throated and Rustic Buntings made the most of the late sun just keeping ahead of us as we walked back to the car.

192.Yellow Throated Bunting------Dongtan Wetland Park--------China
193.Rustic Bunting-----------------Dongtan Wetland Park--------China

Nearing the visitor centre the sun went orange before being enveloped by the smog a good 20 minutes before dusk descended. In just an over an hour we were back in the centre of the metropolis that is Shanghai. I promised Cai I would be back in a couple of months and that we just had to go back there again. Cai was happy to return, he had been many times in-between our two visits, particularly as we wouldn’t be hunting Baikal Teal again!

I had to thank Cai for a great day, despite the weather we saw everything we wanted to see and more. Roll on March /April……..

Attachments

• Photo1.JPG
    Photo1.JPG
    271.2 KB · Views: 214
  • Photo2.JPG
    Photo2.JPG
    212.1 KB · Views: 214
  • Photo3.JPG
    Photo3.JPG
    213 KB · Views: 218
  • Photo4.JPG
    Photo4.JPG
    177.3 KB · Views: 218
  • Photo5.JPG
    Photo5.JPG
    224.1 KB · Views: 215
Last edited:
27 January 2011

As Beijing (Photo1 – the embassy district and downtown) lay out in front of the Sheraton Great Wall Hotel I didn’t expect to pick up any year birds while visiting our regional office in China. However during the meetings on the 21st floor several Large Billed Crows (Photo1 – Taken later in the week in Hong Kong) were riding the updrafts provided by the sky scrapers.

194.Large Billed Crow---------------Beijing-------------------------China

Attachments

• Photo1.JPG
    Photo1.JPG
    255.1 KB · Views: 236
  • Photo2.JPG
    Photo2.JPG
    205.4 KB · Views: 216
Last edited:
29 January 2011

Arriving late Thursday night in Chengdu and then leaving the hotel before dawn I had no chance of checking out the normal fruitful lake outside the Intercontinental Hotel. I had even been give a room looking out over the lake for the first time since I have been staying there, so I could have scoped it from the 24th floor of the hotel! How much longer the lake will remain as is depends on whether the developers decide to smarten it up with a concrete shoreline. Already this hotel and the adjoining Holiday Inn hotel are one of biggest hotel complex’s I have seen. However the other side of the freeway they are building one of the world’s largest Intercontinental Hotels which is due to open in 2012 to performances by Madonna and Lady Ga Ga. I can see the wildlife been squeezed out of an area that has been good for birding over the years!

Friday night I flew into Hong Kong and at 8am today I caught a taxi to Mai Po. When I told the concierge where I wanted to go, as they were looking at me inquisitively, one of the gentlemen exclaimed “Ah Mai Po, I had never heard of it until another tourist told me it was a world famous bird reserve”. He had lived in Hong Kong all his life.

Unsurprisingly Black Eared Kites (Photo1) were the first year bird to go in the book within minutes of leaving the hotel.

195.Black Eared Kite------------Hong Kong Island----------Hong Kong

Thirty minutes and thirty pounds (there had better be some good birds!) later I was dropped off at the T-Junction that led down to the reserve. I had picked up some good birds in this area previously so was happy to walk to the Mai Po visitor centre past the many fish ponds (Photos 2 & 3). While I was organising myself, after getting out of the taxi, Red Billed Starlings, Chinese Bulbuls, and Japanese White Eye were added to the Hong Kong year list while Red Whiskered Bulbuls also added to the year list.

196.Red Whiskered Bulbul--------Mai Po--------------------Hong Kong

Cormorant, Plain Prinia (Photo 4), Black Faced Spoonbill (Photo 5), White Cheeked Starling, Crested Myna, Grey Heron, Yellow Bellied Prinia and Zitting Cisticola were the next into the notebook. Cattle Egret were in the same tree I had left them in November 2009 with White Wagtail, Common Sandpiper and Great Egret feeding in the same fish pond.

197.Cattle Egret-------------------Mai Po-------------------Hong Kong

More to follow….

Attachments

• Photo1.JPG
    Photo1.JPG
    196 KB · Views: 208
  • Photo2.JPG
    Photo2.JPG
    274.3 KB · Views: 216
  • Photo3.JPG
    Photo3.JPG
    276.8 KB · Views: 211
  • Photo4.JPG
    Photo4.JPG
    187.8 KB · Views: 198
  • Photo5.JPG
    Photo5.JPG
    212.6 KB · Views: 232
29 January 2011 (Continued)

Progressing down the lane, dodging the infrequent trucks and cars and taxis that always creep up on you when you least expect, normally when you have spotted something bino’s or scope pressed against your face.

A Collared Crow (Photo1) announced its presence calling overhead, followed seconds later by a Kestrel. A Greenshank was feeding at a distance on the shoreline of a fish pond alongside a Little Ringed Plover. Three Wood Sandpipers were doing the same in the opposite corner of the same pond, while Large Billed Crow, Siberian Stonechat and Grey Wagtail kept my pen busy.

198.Collared Crow-------------------Mai Po----------------Hong Kong
199.Greenshank---------------------Mai Po----------------Hong Kong

Next was a Black Collared Starling (Photo 2), my 200th year bird, a starling that seems almost twice the size of its cousins. Chinese Pond Herons (Photo 3) were their normal nervous self as they catapulted out of any small brook as I passed by.

200.Black Collared Starling----------Mai Po-----------------Hong Kong

I had started to wish I had brought my heavy coat as it was colder than I had imagined. I had never been so cold in Hong Kong, my hands were freezing I hoped I would be able read my writing when I got back to the hotel. That never says Azure Winged Magpie, it sure does! They were feeding around an industrial area (Photo 4 – like in Xiamen no magpies in shot I am afraid, they must be shy!) not far from the Mai Po Visitor Centre (Photo 5).

Having not pre booked two weeks earlier the young girl on the reception was a little nervous whether she could let me into the reserve. After producing my RSPB Membership card (?) and passport and a phone call to her boss she was pleased to advise I was allowed in. I had hoped looking the part helped, but I will never know! 320 Yuan (120 entry, 200 deposit (?)),
and much form filling in later I was officially allowed into the reserve, it seemed easier entering the country! But I wasn’t done I had to take all my paperwork to the warden’s office 400 yards down the road on the edge of the reserve.

Before I did that Magpie Robin, Common Tailorbird and Koel were feeding in the tree behind the centre; they were all scribbled (literally) down. In the meanwhile two bus-loads of would be birders arrived. Mai Po volunteers were waiting to give them a short presentation in the centre and then take them around the reserve. I set off as previous experience resulted in being amongst groups of very loud people with even louder cameras and no birds!

Arriving at the warden’s office, it soon became apparent that I had not been given all of the paperwork so I had to return to the visitor centre where I had to excuse myself as I interrupted the second presentation of the morning. The first had already been completed as I met the first group already leaving the centre…..

More to follow….

Attachments

• Photo1.JPG
    Photo1.JPG
    183.9 KB · Views: 206
  • Photo2.JPG
    Photo2.JPG
    302.2 KB · Views: 213
  • Photo3.JPG
    Photo3.JPG
    208.6 KB · Views: 206
  • Photo4.JPG
    Photo4.JPG
    264.5 KB · Views: 193
  • Photo5.JPG
    Photo5.JPG
    256.2 KB · Views: 197

Correct documentation in hand I soon caught up the first group as they watched a Grey Backed Thrush just across the road from the centre. House Swifts were flying overhead.

201.Grey Backed Thrush----------------Mai Po-------------Hong Kong

I then made a dash for the warden’s office again and unbeknown to me another group where already there. Where had they come from? Finally officially allowed onto the reserve I joined this group watching the Black Faced Spoonbills feeding. It was a first for me, every time I had seen them before they were either flying or sleeping. They have a feeding style all of their own head sweeping side to side, that large bill snapping shut when they find food.

The demarcation line between reserve and not reserve is a couple of waste high solid wood gates which there is no need to open as you can walk either side of them! Once in the reserve the first duck of the day were Shoveler, with Moorehen in plentiful numbers and Avocet (Photo 1- taken later) filtering the water through their upturned bills.

Visiting the first hide with three levels of viewing produced little or no birds, the leader of the revised “first” group clearly knew this as he had bypassed it so I had to pass them all on the very narrow path without my tripod decapitating anyone, that would not have gone down well!

They then stopped to photograph a tree so I was able to build up a bit of a lead again. There had been reported a small flock of Black Bulbul over the last three days. I had only seen these once before in Xiamen in June 2006 so was keen to pick them up. I then spotted a few bulbul like birds in a tree devoid of leaves towering over the next hide. The scope confirmed Black Bulbuls! None had white heads but two out of the four had white cheeks. I had to convince myself, at that distance, they weren’t White Cheeked Starlings. I soon realised the jiz just wasn’t starling like.

My thoughts were confirmed when I arrived at the hide as there were two birders there keeping very quiet and trying to photograph the birds. The lady had some silhouette shots as the tree was so tall, hoping they would return at a lower height. There was again very little from the hide so I left as quietly as I could but met the “first” group again coming the other way clearly enjoying themselves by the excited conversations. There would be no bulbuls for a while!

202.Black Bulbul-------------------------Mai Po-------------Hong Kong

As I walked along a boardwalk that trisected mangrove, wetland and fishponds Kingfisher,Daurian Redstart, White Throated Kingfisher, Dusky Warbler and Great Tit all went in the book, all new for Hong Kong this year. A family of noisy Masked Laughingthrushes broke the tranquillity, but in a good way. Being so loud they are often deeper in the undergrowth than you think, and so it was this time, a couple of minutes passing before I saw the head of the first bird peeking out, then several more fleeting glimpses followed.

203.Masked Laughingthrush------------Mai Po-------------Hong Kong

Coot were busying themselves in the margins when I met a young Chinese gentleman, with a large camera and lens following him in a trolley. I asked him whether he had been out to check the birds in deep bay. I was surprised when a cockney accent replied that he hadn’t! We talked for several minutes, he actually being a local who had spent a number of years in London. He recommended I visit the tall single man hide a few yards away as he had seen both Eastern Marsh Harrier and Greater Spotted Eagle there earlier. Thanking him off, I left.

The hide is a two storey affair, the only way up being via a metal ladder that passes through the wooden floor of the small square hide. Once at the top I unfurled the cloth opening straight in front of me and wrapped it around the rope above it, the opening to my right already kept open by two small pegs. As soon as I peered out I saw a rather large bird in a tree some distance away. Careful not to drop my gear through the whole in the floor and clatter down the metal ladder I manoeuvred my scope into place and identified the golden head of an imposing Imperial Eagle (Photo 2 – Digi scoped).

204.Imperial Eagle-----------------------Mai Po-------------Hong Kong

Just then I heard a familiar voice coming up the stairs. My cockney friend had returned for his pegs. We both watched an Eastern Marsh Harrier quartering the reed bed before he bid farewell for the second time.

205.Eastern Marsh----------------------Mai Po-------------Hong Kong

Before attempting to descend the ladder, with all my equipment, I added the names of Tufted Duck, Magpie, Long Tailed Shrike, Pintail, Wigeon and Teal to my book.

Arriving at the formidable China border fence (Photo 3) that isn’t so heavily guarded as in the past, particularly as a gate to a floating board walk (Photo 4) is open during daylight hours, I made the bouncy ten minute walk to one of the hides looking out over the deep bay mud flats and Shenzhen (Photo 5).

More to follow….

Attachments

• Photo1.JPG
    Photo1.JPG
    211.3 KB · Views: 78
  • Photo2.JPG
    Photo2.JPG
    260.9 KB · Views: 101
  • Photo3.JPG
    Photo3.JPG
    218.5 KB · Views: 85
  • Photo4.JPG
    Photo4.JPG
    272.4 KB · Views: 88
  • Photo5.JPG
    Photo5.JPG
    277.1 KB · Views: 81

High tide was 1700 hours, it was just after 1pm and therefore the birds, and there were a lot of birds, were a long way out. A couple of Osprey (Photo 1 – I just couldn’t decide on how to crop this photo, eventually deciding on leaving the original, providing the best impression of the view) were watching proceedings from posts deliberately left out in the bay. They were an impressive sight even at this distance, sentinels watching over their flock.

206.Osprey-----------------------Mai Po--------------------Hong Kong

The only new day birds I could see at that distance were Curlew and Black Headed Gull. A local Indian gentleman, a member of the Hong Kong Birding Society then doubled the number of people in the long hide. After a quick look he said the hide next door to the right was much better. I wondered how as it was literally touching the hide I was in!

Nevertheless I joined him and he was right, there were more birds feeding along the edge of the mangrove. The most impressive of which was a Ruddy Breasted Crake (Photo 2). Normally you only gain a brief view as they fly between patches of marsh (or in the hand with a string through beak as I saw in Hao Lang Village, Lei Zhou (Guandong province) a couple of years ago).

207.Ruddy Breasted Crake-------Mai Po--------------------Hong Kong

A Black Capped Kingfisher (Photo 3 – taken later) was just visible on the distance, in front of the returning sea. The Indian gentleman pointed out to me which poles and sticks the bird would use as the sea returned to inundate the mangrove.

While he was going to wait for the tide I decided to visit the far end of the reserve and return in a couple of hours so it was back along the boardwalk, the barrels supporting the walkway already higher than when I had first walked over them.

Back behind the perimeter fence a Eurasian Spoonbill flew over. Walking south the lagoons were full of ducks and an enormous number of cormorant with wings outstretched in the early afternoon sun. Others were busy turning trees white (Photo 4) over time! I was glad I hadn’t brought my heavy coat now otherwise I would have been overheating myself.

As I rounded the southern perimeter of the reserve there was an even larger party of Masked Laughingthrushes, probably the largest flock I have seen in ether Hong Kong or mainland China, there must have been 50-60 birds. I wanted to continue along the tree lined avenue as I had picked up some interesting birds along there on a previous trip but knew time was against me, I had to get back to Deep bay if I wanted to witness a spectacle.

Halfway back to the gate I big black bird of prey landed on what remained of a gnarled old tree. The scope again came to the rescue as eagles always seem to land further away than any other bird of prey. It was an equally imposing Greater Spotted Eagle (Photo 5 – Digi scoped).

208.Greater Spotted Eagle-------Mai Po--------------------Hong Kong

More to follow….

Attachments

• Photo1.jpg
    Photo1.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 80
  • Photo2.JPG
    Photo2.JPG
    340.5 KB · Views: 90
  • Photo3.JPG
    Photo3.JPG
    241 KB · Views: 66
  • Photo4.JPG
    Photo4.JPG
    189.3 KB · Views: 56
  • Photo5.JPG
    Photo5.JPG
    250.8 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:

As I neared the gate a couple of Oriental Turtle Doves (Photo1) were passing the day in a tree. I thought I had seen them earlier disappearing behind the fence but hadn’t been sure, this confirmed it.

209.Oriental Turtle Dove----------Mai Po-------------------Hong Kong

By now I was starting to feel a little light headed, while I had plenty of drink I had not brought enough food and it was starting to tell.

Back at the Deep Bay hide the Indian gentleman was still staking out the birds. Sure enough the Black Capped Kingfisher had moved onto the first of the poles he had said. It was just after three-thirty and the tide was coming in quickly. While there was not a large variety of birds (Photo 2) the sight of so many birds was very impressive, particularly the spectacular sky filling flocks of Avocet (Photo 3) that left you in awe.

There were also over a thousand Pacific Golden Plover being pushed up by the tide, while Marsh Sandpiper were mixing it with the larger Greenshank wading in the shallows.

210.Pacific Golden Plover---------Mai Po-------------------Hong Kong
211.Marsh Sandpiper-------------Mai Po-------------------Hong Kong

While our attention was kept by the activity along the waters edge a Yellow Wagtail (Photo 4) feeding close to the hide finally caught our eye. A lone Little Egret (Photo 5) also stood a little further out accepting the inevitable and unstoppable.

212.Yellow Wagtail---------------Mai Po--------------------Hong Kong

It was now 1615 and several other birders had joined us, but I was pushing my luck as it was a good walk back to the Visitor Centre if I wanted to claim my deposit before it closed at 1700 hours. The Indian gentleman was surprised I was leaving just as the birds were getting their closest but needs must.

I was reminded that I wasn’t in the UK as I travelled back along the single track boardwalk through the mangrove as there were a number of people travelling in the opposite direction to view the high tide. Repeatedly standing in the passing places to allow folk to pass not one said thank you, I must have allowed over 30 people to pass by. By the end I am afraid I was thanking myself out loud for them!

Back on the perimeter road a White Breasted Waterhen lost its battle to fly through the metal fence returning from whence it came in its panic. A single Falcated Duck amongst a flock of Wigeon went enthusiastically into the book. I was not sure earlier when I had viewed what I thought was silhouettes of the same species.

Arriving at the Visitor Centre with five minutes to spare I was spent, the lack of food really starting to hit, I was looking forward to returning to the hotel and increasing my sugar levels again.

Before that I decided to walk the mile to the main road to pick up any last minute birds. I knew it was probably not my best decision and would certainly regret it later.

Once back amongst the fish ponds I looked across to a congregated iron and wooden building where there were a number of birds readily taking food that had been put out for them. It caught my attention as there were Black Eared Kites, Tree Sparrows and Crested Myna all feeding together, most odd. Amongst the Crested Myna was a single Common Myna that always look to me like an adolescent Crested Myna

213.Common Myna---------------Mai Po-------------------Hong Kong

I thought I had made the right decision to walk the lane as a Greater Coucal flew into a bush and a Pied Kingfisher passed high overhead taking my Hong Kong year list to 73…….

More to follow….

Attachments

• Photo1.JPG
    Photo1.JPG
    244.8 KB · Views: 70
  • Photo2.JPG
    Photo2.JPG
    221.2 KB · Views: 58
  • Photo3.JPG
    Photo3.JPG
    266.5 KB · Views: 79
  • Photo4.JPG
    Photo4.JPG
    260.5 KB · Views: 78
  • Photo5.JPG
    Photo5.JPG
    213.2 KB · Views: 77

The sun was just reaching the end of the golden hour as a Little Ringed Plover (Photo 1) watched me, a Wood Sandpiper continuing to feed in the background.

My final year bird of the day was a Yellow Browed Warbler (Photo 2) busying itself in a roadside bush, while a Swallow was the last Hong Kong bird of the evening.

214.Yellow Browed Warbler-------Mai Po-------------------Hong Kong

As I arrived where I had been picked up that morning I called up the taxi firm I had used earlier. To cut a long story short after several calls, several miss calls and a taxi driver claiming he had arrived at Mai Po but couldn’t understand where I was I decided to cut my losses and take a Green Taxi that couldn’t travel to The Island and ask them to take me somewhere where there were some Red Taxi’s that could. The driver was very friendly and talked all the way to Yuan Long where he dropped me off at a Red Taxi stop. I thanked him very much and jumped into the first Red Taxi.

It was still a long and expensive drive to the hotel and by now I had a thumping headache and felt sick. I tried to sleep it off but the taxi was being thrown about so much that it made me feel worse, I must have been some sight in the rear view mirror head in hands. To take my mind off it all I kept on going over what a great day I had had, it worked and I survived until I got to the hotel. It had cost £36 to get back thanks to the diversion; alternative transport as well as a bigger pack-up was high on the agenda for the next visit.

Back in my room I had no alternative but to order room service straight away. After that and some tablets I soon began to recover, so much so that I started going through my photos. “You’re mad” I can just hear someone at home saying “You have no-one else but yourself to blame!” Such wise words, let’s hope I listen.

Mai Po (Photos 3 & 4) is truly a great reserve with something for everyone whether you are part time birder or avid birder, but don’t forget to take provisions with you, especially when the weather turns hot. I was mad not to take more with me, but the last word goes to those enigmatic Black Faced Spoonbills (Photo 5), you have to visit Mai Po just to see those, although I’m not sure what the one on the far left at the back is doing!

Attachments

• Photo1.JPG
    Photo1.JPG
    274.3 KB · Views: 67
  • Photo2.JPG
    Photo2.JPG
    349.1 KB · Views: 80
  • Photo3.JPG
    Photo3.JPG
    305.5 KB · Views: 81
  • Photo4.JPG
    Photo4.JPG
    269.6 KB · Views: 78
  • Photo5.jpg
    Photo5.jpg
    293.9 KB · Views: 92
30 January 2011

After an early night I felt much better this morning. I had spoken to fellow Birdforum member Mike Kilburn (MKinHK) the previous evening who suggested I visit Hong Kong University that morning as there were a couple of species of Nitlava keeping birders occupied there. Talking to the concierge they couldn’t find the exact area on the map (that typically split over the page) and I really didn’t feel that adventurous after a long day yesterday so I decided to play it safe and visit an old haunt Hong Kong Park.

My first priority though was a Venti Cappuccino and a Blueberry Muffin at Starbucks. I walked some distance with all my equipment through the business and retail districts of Hong Kong along the elevated walkways that held numerous Pilipino ladies catching up on the latest gossip on cardboard picnic mats, as it was Sunday. I remember wondering what was going on when I first visited in 1997. Finally I found a Starbucks but had to wait another ten minutes before it opened at 9am.

Refreshed I headed for Hong Kong Park (Photo1) where I went straight to the tower that gave unbroken views over the park. Within a couple of minutes I saw Yellow Crested Cockatoos (Photo 3) and Rose Ringed Parakeets, both introduced but both having been breeding for many years, similar to the Ring Necked Parakeets in London, so tickable. The Parakeet took my year list to a new record for this time of year, the previous best being 214 in 2008.

215.Yellow Crested Cockatoo---------Hong Kong Park----Hong Kong
216.Rose Ringed Parakeet------------Hong Kong Park-----Hong Kong

The squawking Cockatoos dominated the park although they do have some competition from the birds in the large aviary.

Descending the tower a Black Throated Laughingthrush (Photo 4) flew into a tree to watch the Hong Kong locals practicing Tai Chi. It couldn’t have been impressed as in an instance it was gone.

217.Black Throated Laughingthrush----Hong Kong Park----Hong Kong

I continued down alongside the aviary. As I started climbing again a iridescent Blue Whistling Thrush (Photo 5) flew into view just long enough for me to take a couple of pics.

218.Blue Whistling Thrush--------------Hong Kong Park----Hong Kong

It would be another hour before I added another bird to my year list. Circling high above the park with the kites was a Crested Goshawk, a sparrowhawk on steroids, what a bird!

219.Crested Goshawk-----------------Hong Kong Park----Hong Kong

Pleased with more than double the number of birds I had hoped to see I wondered the park for another 30 mins but didn’t add to my list. My flight was at 1455 hours so by 1130 I was on my way back to the hotel.

It had been a wonderful two weeks away, notching up 90 birds in China and 80 in Hong Kong, including one lifer, the Sandhill Crane. But it was time to return home to reality, the pace out here can’t be maintained indefinitely, a new city if not every day, every other day takes its toll and spending every free hour birding doesn’t give you much time to rest. I have discovered how to make the clock rotate twice as quick as normal though, it doesn’t seem two minutes since I arrived at Heathrow two weeks ago………………..

Attachments

• Photo1.JPG
    Photo1.JPG
    220.3 KB · Views: 67
  • Photo2.JPG
    Photo2.JPG
    278.4 KB · Views: 85
  • Photo3.JPG
    Photo3.JPG
    271.9 KB · Views: 58
  • Photo4.JPG
    Photo4.JPG
    181.6 KB · Views: 58
  • Photo5.JPG
    Photo5.JPG
    192.9 KB · Views: 81
1 February 2011

A morning visit to the rugby club car park (Photo1) at Cromford near Matlock produced four Hawfinch (Photo 2), at a distance, in the trees alongside the canal.

220.Hawfinch------------------------Cromford-------------------England

Attachments

• Photo1.JPG
    Photo1.JPG
    239.5 KB · Views: 72
  • Photo2.JPG
    Photo2.JPG
    230 KB · Views: 81
5 February 2011

In search of a lifer so close to home I visited Willington near Burton-upon-Trent this morning. As I parked up around 10am several birders indicated that the bird hadn’t been seen today. Walking to the far end of the reserve and checking out the gravel pit to the left of the track wherever there was a break in the hedge I saw nothing, the bird indeed seemed to have disappeared. A couple of other birders joined me, one who had come all the way from north London to see the bird.

We all spent a good 20 minutes looking down the length of the pit from the viewing area, but the pit curved to the left so part of it was obscured. One guy ran out of time as his wife was waiting in the car, the Londoner remained but I decided to return to the car for some sustenance.

Talking to another couple of birders on the way back they said they had seen the bird 30 mins earlier. I couldn’t believe it. Searching through gaps in the hedge the Black Throated Diver (Photo1) finally came into view. I didn’t know whether to sing or dance so did neither. Instead I raced back to the top of the pit and fetched my London friend. As we arrived back at the location I had seen the bird another guy also joined us. We all enjoyed unprecedented views of the diver when it resurfaced from long dives and long swims. A truly wonderful bird!

221.Black Throated Diver-----------Willington----------England

Attachments

• Photo1.JPG
    Photo1.JPG
    161.8 KB · Views: 77
6 March 2011

A Green Sandpiper flew past during a bike ride along the River Derwent today, taking my UK list to 132 birds for the year.

12 March 11

DAS and I undertook our annual dawn ‘til dusk March bird raid today. Unfortunately Steve couldn’t make it as he had a concert he couldn’t get out of. The most birds we have seen this time of year was 100 in 2010 when we went out a week later. The rule always is that all three or in this case both of us need to see the bird.

0615 - 0700

Starting from my mother’s garden (Photo 1) in Manthorpe, Lincs, at 0615 we made our way towards the village of Wilsthorpe through both arable and pastoral farmland where we picked up a number of familiar birds. By 0700 hours we were at 22 birds, it would have been 24 had the Green and Great Spotted Woodpeckers revealed themselves!

Blackbird, Woodpigeon, Collared Dove, Starling, Greenfinch, Great Tit, Blue Tit, Chaffinch, Robin, Black Headed Gull, Carrion Crow, Jackdaw, Song Thrush, Dunnock, House Sparrow, Pheasant, Yellowhammer, Fieldfare, Greylag, Rook, Goldfinch and Magpie.

I hadn’t realised until I went through the day’s list that I, for some reason, hadn’t added Song Thrush to my year list even though I had clearly seen one earlier in the year!

222.Song Thrush------------------Manthorpe-----------------------England

0701 – 0800

Over the next hour we moved through Wilsthorpe (a Corn Bunting certainty) to the small river that circumvented the village (Photo 2), where we picked up a family of Kingfishers and a Little Egret, saving us having to visit Greatford our normal site for both of these species, before moving onto the gravel pits at Baston Fen. Our number more than doubled to 47 by 0800

Red Legged Partridge, Corn Bunting, Buzzard, Skylark, Kestrel, Lapwing, Feral Pigeon, Pied Wagtail, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Mallard, Kingfisher, Stock Dove, Mute Swan, Reed Bunting, Wren, Mistle Thrush, Tufted Duck, Great Crested Grebe, Shelduck, Cormorant, Barnacle Goose, Coot, Gadwall, Wigeon and Moorehen

The only new year bird was a lone Barnacle Goose feeding with some Greylag

223.Barnacle Goose---------------Baston Fen-----------------------England

0801 – 0900

Hour three took the total to 53 all seen at Baston Fen (Photo 3), although most of the hour was taken up driving towards Welney

Pochard, Redwing, Goldeneye, Red Crested Pochard, Lesser Black Backed Gull and Barn Owl

0901 – 1000

59 were in the book by 1000 hours, including another year bird, spotted by our very own partridge expert young DAS as we passed through Tipps End and through the village of Welney where we parked up between the two bridges.

Grey Partridge, Green Woodpecker, Linnet, Whooper Swan, Grey Heron and Teal

224.Grey Partridge-----------------Tipps End-----------------------England

1001 – 1100

As we entered the reserve a flock of Golden Plover flew over the Visitor Centre and Tree Sparrows were on the feeders. In the reserve there was a large flock of Black Tailed Godwit together with several more expected birds. There were also many Whooper Swans (Photo 4) but no Bewicks

Pintail, Shoveler, Herring Gull, Golden Plover, Tree Sparrow, Black Tailed Godwit, Dunlin,
Ruff, Pink Footed Goose, Redshank and Ruddy Duck

1101 – 1200

Just two more birds were added in this hour taking the total to 72

Oystercatcher and Avocet

1201 - 1300

We then decided to travel to Lakenheath to see if there was a chance of a crane but unfortunately our luck was not in, but we did add two more day birds, with the third being picked up as we neared Hockwold.

Meadow Pipit, Long Tailed Tit and Canada Goose

1301 – 1400

The Weeting Heath reserve was closed so we parked at the gate and took a quick peak, a couple of forest birds adding to our list

Marsh Tit and Coal Tit

1401 - 1500

We arrived at the coast at Wells-Next-The-Sea where a Marsh Harrier was quartering the reed beds between there and Holkham. Being winter the grounds of Holkham Hall were closed so we moved onto Brancaster. It was a glorious day by now, cool but glorious. The tide was out and there were plenty of birds on the exposed mud. One, a Ringed Plover, was a year bird.

Marsh Harrier, Brent Goose, Bar Tailed Godwit, Grey Plover, Curlew, Ringed Plover and
Turnstone

225.Ringed Plover------------------Brancaster----------------------England

1501 – 1600

Our 85th bird was a Stonechat in the Brancaster golf course car park. We spent a great deal of time scanning the distant bushes without success, and after some time turned round to return to the car and two Stonechat sat on posts separating the car park from the golf course chuckling to themselves.

Stonechat

1601 – 1700

With nothing new up at the Choseley Drying Barns, and no Little Owl in the trees alongside the road we made our way to Titchwell, having to park in the overflow car park.

Both Brambling and Siskin had been reported at the feeders and we also scanned every bush for Bullfinch and every dyke for Waterail but all four eluded us. Our luck did change a little further along the path towards the reserve however as some other birders had found a early Wheatear in the field to the West

Wheatear, Little Grebe, Common Scoter and Sanderling

226.Wheatear---------------------Titchwell------------------------England

1701 – 1800

Before we left the beach a family of Eider was spotted in the distance taking us to 90.

DAS persuaded me to visit the main hides on the way back, I admit I was more interested in fish and chips at Hunstanton by now, but I was so glad I conceded to him. In the Southern facing hide (Photo 4) the three birders there had locked onto three Mediterranean Gulls amongst the flock of Black Headed Gulls, while a Spotted Redshank was feeding with it’s Redshank cousins, both year birds. I also spotted a Snipe in the murk across the other side of the water.

One of other birders had meanwhile visited the other hide and came rushing back in, having spotted a Merlin. By the time we arrived the bird had gone.

We walked back towards the visitor centre just behind one of the other birders who had spotted the Med Gulls. He was on form today as he found the Merlin again taking our final tally for the day to 94. Six down on our best but still a good haul nonetheless.

Eider, Mediterranean Gull, Spotted Redshank, Snipe and Merlin

227.Mediterranean Gull-------------Titchwell------------------------England
228.Spotted Redshank-------------Titchwell------------------------England
229.Merlin-------------------------Titchwell------------------------England

1801 – 1900

Well that wasn’t quite the story of the day, hearing several Cetti’s Warblers we walked through the reed bed trail until we arrived near a bush where one of the birds was calling. Suddenly the bird showed in the centre of the bush, head down tail up in typical Cetti style. Unfortunately DAS didn’t get onto it so we couldn’t add it to our day list. But it was a year list bird for me!

230.Cetti’s Warbler---------------Titchwell--------------------------England

Time for those fish and chips………………….

Next stop, Holland, Thailand and China

Attachments

• Photo1.JPG
    Photo1.JPG
    272.8 KB · Views: 83
  • Photo2.JPG
    Photo2.JPG
    231.9 KB · Views: 92
  • Photo3.JPG
    Photo3.JPG
    260.8 KB · Views: 83
  • Photo4.jpg
    Photo4.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 69
  • Photo5.JPG
    Photo5.JPG
    198.1 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
15 March 2010

Passing through Schiphol Airport, Amsterdam on the way to Bangkok my Dutch bird list stands at two with Mute Swan and Carrion Crow!

Last edited:
19 March 11

I arrived in Bangkok on Wednesday however my first birding in Thailand had to wait until today due to work commitments. Dave Gandy (gandytron) was kind enough to be my guide for the day and picked me up from my hotel at 5am for the two hour drive, down the coast from Bangkok, to Pak Thale in search of the enigmatic Spoon Billed Sandpiper.

As dawn (Photo1) broke over the salt pans at Pak Thale (Photo 2) Little Egrets were the first birds to emerge, followed quickly by Himalayan Swiftlets (a lifer), Grey Herons and Swallows

231.Himalayan Swiftlet--------------Pak Thale---------------Thailand

As the light improved Greater Sand Plover (Photo 3) were waking and starting to feed alongside Kentish Plover while Great Egrets flew overhead towards the coast.

232.Greater Sand Plover---------------Pak Thale----------------Thailand

Whiskered Terns (Photo 4 – taken later) were bobbing over the salt pans and Cattle Egret (Photo 5) headed for the fields.

233.Whiskered Tern-------------------Pak Thale----------------Thailand

More to follow….

Attachments

• Photo1.jpg
    Photo1.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 93
  • Photo2.jpg
    Photo2.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 82
  • Photo3.jpg
    Photo3.jpg
    265.3 KB · Views: 78
  • Photo4.jpg
    Photo4.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 94
  • Photo5.jpg
    Photo5.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 81
19 March 11 (Continued…)

Dave and I scoured the salt pans (Photo1) for our target species and within minutes the first Spoon Billed Sandpiper (Photo 2) appeared, what a wonderful bird!

234.Spoon Billed Sandpiper------------Pak Thale-------------Thailand

When I first found out that I was going to have the chance to visit Bangkok the Spooner was naturally my goal. Unfortunately Thai Birding let me down so I had to fend for myself and Dave came to my rescue. I can’t express in words just how grateful I was for Dave’s superb guiding and communication skills. He made the day feel very special.

Sticking to the car we were able to get some great shots of the birds, we counted six in all, I’m sure there were more out there.

A Red Necked Stint (Photo 3) was feeding in the same area as were Marsh Sandpipers (Photo 4) while my third lifer in the first hour was a Brown Headed Gull (Photo 5) which had gathered in large numbers in many of the salt pans.

235.Red Necked Stint-----------------Pak Thale-------------------Thailand
236.Brown Headed Gull-------------Pak Thale-------------------Thailand

More to follow….

Attachments

• Photo1.JPG
    Photo1.JPG
    233.6 KB · Views: 89
  • Photo2.jpg
    Photo2.jpg
    245 KB · Views: 100
  • Photo3.jpg
    Photo3.jpg
    234.5 KB · Views: 79
  • Photo4.jpg
    Photo4.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 72
  • Photo5.jpg
    Photo5.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 61
19 March 11 (Continued…)

We could have sat all day and watched the Spooners but there were more birds to be had so we moved a little further along the gravel path. In between picking up other Spooners a Painted Stork (Photo1) flew over, another lifer, what a crazy looking bird!

237.Painted Stork--------------------Pak Thale--------------Thailand

Red Collared Doves (Photo 2) were the most common doves in the area while Grey Plover, Sanderling and Ruff all added to my Thai and day list.

238.Red Collared Dove------------------Pak Thale---------------Thailand

The next five birds all added to my year list with Curlew Sandpiper coming into breeding plumage, Little Terns busying themselves flitting from one salt pan to the next. Lesser Sand Plover hadn’t quite woken up to the fact that another day had started as they slept amongst their larger brethren. In the distance a Brahminy Kite was looking for an early morning meal while Broad Billed Sandpipers mixed with the large flock of waders moving through the salt pans.

239.Curlew Sandpiper-------------------Pak Thale---------------Thailand
240.Little Tern-------------------------Pak Thale---------------Thailand
241.Lesser Sand Plover-----------------Pak Thale----------------Thailand
242.Brahminy Kite----------------------Pak Thale----------------Thailand
243.Broad Billed Sandpiper--------------Pak Thale----------------Thailand

After a little over an hour we set off in search of other quarry. Just as we left a Curlew flew over and Magpie Robins were in the trees in the small village near the salt pans.

Back on the main road (Photo 3) we stopped to view another lifer, Little Cormorants (Photo 4), while a female Koel (Photo 5) watched proceedings from upon high.

244.Little Cormorant-----------------Pak Thale--------------Thailand

More to follow….

Attachments

• Photo1.jpg
    Photo1.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 64
  • Photo2.jpg
    Photo2.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 58
  • Photo3.JPG
    Photo3.JPG
    233.1 KB · Views: 80
  • Photo4.jpg
    Photo4.jpg
    217.5 KB · Views: 74
  • Photo5.jpg
    Photo5.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 76
19 March 11 (Continued…)

Turning down a side road high we found a large number of Back Winged Stilts (Photo1) feeding alongside Spotted Redshank (Photo 2). A Common Sandpiper (Photo 3) held a lonely vigil along a tidal stream.

245.Black Winged Stilt-----------------Pak Thale------------------Thailand

Several beefy Caspian Terns (Photo 4) were amongst the flocks of Brown Headed Gulls

246.Caspian Tern----------------------Pak Thale------------------Thailand

Returning to the main route through Pak Thale a Greenshank called as it flew overhead, both Tree and House Sparrows taking advantage of the small villages we passed through.

Redshanks were less common than Spotted Redshank, a reversal of the UK so it was good to get that bird in the book.

Dave then took the advantage of an Indian Cormorant (Photo 5) sitting on a post to show me difference between it and the Little Cormorant we had seem earlier. Another lifer.

247.Indian Cormorant----------------Pak Thale-----------------Thailand

More to follow….

Attachments

• Photo1.jpg
    Photo1.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 78
  • Photo2.jpg
    Photo2.jpg
    255.4 KB · Views: 72
  • Photo3.jpg
    Photo3.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 73
  • Photo4.jpg
    Photo4.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 87
  • Photo5.jpg
    Photo5.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 82
19 March 11 (Continued…)

New birds were coming at us every minute, a Long Toed Stint (Photo1) being very aware of our presence despite us not leaving the car.

248.Long Toed Stint-----------------Pak Thale---------------------Thailand

Minute Zitting Cisticola rose and fell back into the long grass alongside the road while White Vented Myna (Photo 2) were strung along the telegraph wires. Two lifers in two minutes as Streak Eared Bulbuls (Photo 3), my 250th year bird, were foraging alongside the road.

249.White Vented Myna-------------Pak Thale---------------------Thailand
250.Streak Eared Bulbul-------------Pak Thale---------------------Thailand

High in the sky three Oriental Honey Buzzards flew through on early passage, not so high up were Asian Pied Starlings the latter being another lifer.

251.Oriental Honey Buzzard------------Pak Thale---------------------Thailand
252.Asian Pied Starling--------------Pak Thale---------------------Thailand

Around one village, despite the very loud music blearing out from one restaurant there were Spotted Dove, Scaly Breasted Munia, Common Myna and Large Billed Crows (Photo 5) taking the day list to 46

More to follow….

Attachments

• Photo1.jpg
    Photo1.jpg
    264.6 KB · Views: 79
  • Photo2.jpg
    Photo2.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 73
  • Photo3.jpg
    Photo3.jpg
    253.5 KB · Views: 56
  • Photo4.jpg